U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 05:17 PM

1,889 posts, read 4,820,407 times

Advertisements

All three of those schools ( districts- Summerville dorchestor 2) are very good. The main problem you run into is that Daniel Island does not have a High School ( except private catholic BI) And the High School for that area is not up to pare at this time. In my opinion of course~!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 06:19 AM

11 posts, read 31,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCJoe View Post
The last information I had is that developers of Carolina Park hope to have the first residents move into homes in Spring of 2008. I suspect that the earliest will be in the summer of 2008. Carolina Park is adjacent to the Wando High School and just a few minutes drive from Park West.
Does the Carolina Park development have a website?

Old 02-23-2008, 07:39 AM

9,038 posts, read 14,269,397 times
As someone who has just moved here from Newport, RI who has lived in Boston suburbs as well as New Orleans and in Westport, Ct, I disagree that Daniel Island has a "small town" feel. I think it is very artificial sterile feel and more of a resort feel-- (without any of the amenities as I didn't see any pool or other signs of recreation)-- or even a small city feel without the people or traffic with all the huge condo buildings and businesses with condos above which you rarely if ever find in small towns.

My first impression was the incredible lack of privacy residents must have there. It seems very open with hardly any trees. To me, driving around for the first time last week there on a Sunday afternoon, it just seemed like a wide expanse of new condominiums and houses all next to each together with some close to a "downtown" area with shops which reminded me more of an outdoor mall.

Granted there are some nice walking paths around the perimeter and a park which seems to be located on the opposite side of the town.

Regarding access to the water, I found views of the water at street level very limited. One area that I found near the shore was lined with trees that blocked the view of the river.

I didn't drive through the park, which may be gorgeous but I was not impressed with the planning of residences -- especially if "small town feel" was the goal.

I think Mount Pleasant has much more personality.

JMHO

Old 02-23-2008, 08:51 AM

899 posts, read 3,173,675 times
Hi Emily,
I can almost envision your drive through Daniel Island.

You are right about the town center feeling artificial, because it is! It is a relatively new, planned community that will never be able to feel like a Westport & Newport. But that was only the condos & homes around the town center.

If you didn't see any amenities or waterfront homes, you missed a pretty large residential portion of Daniel Island. Try it again & dig deeper.
jim

Old 02-23-2008, 09:15 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,377,676 times
MovingtoSC,
Carolina Park's web site is Carolina Park It does have a map of Carolina Park and a limited amount of information. To my knowledge, nothing has been finalized with regards to new residential construction, plans or pricing. Due to the size and importance of this new Mt. Pleasant community, I think you will find that many Realtors with a good "on line" presence will have current and updated information on their web site(s) as information becomes available .

Old 02-23-2008, 09:54 AM

9,038 posts, read 14,269,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim3310 View Post
Hi Emily,
I can almost envision your drive through Daniel Island.

You are right about the town center feeling artificial, because it is! It is a relatively new, planned community that will never be able to feel like a Westport & Newport. But that was only the condos & homes around the town center.

If you didn't see any amenities or waterfront homes, you missed a pretty large residential portion of Daniel Island. Try it again & dig deeper.
jim
Jim,

I drove as far as I could drive in every direction (except for the park side) even until the road ended making a special effort to get as close to the waterfront to hopefully find wonderful views and sailboats moored out in the water and community docks or little beach areas. Are there any of those? If so where are they?

I found waterfront condos but without any views as the trees blocked the view.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:11 AM

11 posts, read 31,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCJoe View Post
MovingtoSC,
Carolina Park's web site is Carolina Park It does have a map of Carolina Park and a limited amount of information. To my knowledge, nothing has been finalized with regards to new residential construction, plans or pricing. Due to the size and importance of this new Mt. Pleasant community, I think you will find that many Realtors with a good "on line" presence will have current and updated information on their web site(s) as information becomes available .
Oh, how funny is that, I didn't try just the name, thinking that would be too easy. I even googled it, but no website link came up. Serves me right for asking a dumb question. Thanks!

Old 02-23-2008, 10:53 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,377,676 times
Emilybh,
To my knowledge you are not going to find the waterfront community views that you are looking for on Daniel Island other than the small waterfront Park they have next to the sales office. You can see this area through this link:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=pg8cwg8b78cy&style=o&lvl=2&til t=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=11531827&ss=yp.daniel%20island~pg.1~sst .0&encType=1

I believe there are plans/hopes for a marina on Daniel Island, but I don't think that it is past the initial planning stage. Daniel Island does have a small community boat ramp.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:39 AM

899 posts, read 3,173,675 times
It's going to be tough to find 'blow boaters', as Daniel Island is mostly a power boat kind of place. That may be the people though.

Bereford's Creek is too shallow for any sailboat of decent size & I very seldom see a sail on the Wando & Cooper this far up river.

As far as docks, Joe showed the one by the park.

Another is the boat ramp & dock off Bereford's Creek Rd.

Another is at the end of Codner's Ferry.

There's another just beyond Blackbaud Stadium.

Two more (50 slips) are deep draft & are mostly for the owners at the Oaks at River's Edge. These are condo's with very nice river views. Let's call them million dollar views (actually, make that 2 million dollar views.) Your best look is from the top of the bridge on 526 coming from MTP. That's them sitting right out into the river.

The city of Charleston has been approved for & is developing a 500 slip marina on the Eastern side. It will be a full scale marina & waterfront park. Probably won't see it until 2009.
jim

Old 05-02-2008, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 4,308 times
I lived on Daniel Island and loved it. If your looking for a place that you'll fit in and not feel like an outsider for long DI is the place. There is so much community involvement. After being there for 3 years I felt like I could run for Mayor! So many nice people so many things to do. Crab Fest, oyster roast, wine tasting, first fridays, movie night at the pool, amazing race, concerts in the park, pumpkin walk, just to name a few. Every week something new to do for young and old.

If you prefer an old world style home with charm DI has it. A neighborhood with the old time cares DI has it. The Norman Rockwell, Andy Grifith, yester years and ol' days gone by type of neighborhoods you'll get it on DI. Kids really play outside and people say hello and get to know you.

If you want a standard cold developement PW has that and you will get more square footage for the money, but DI residence made the trade off for the sence of a hometown community to live in and raise their kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area