U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 08:21 AM

158 posts, read 535,656 times

Advertisements

Cool!! That is very ironic!

That is very good to know though. I've been wondering the mileage difference.

I don't live there yet, but I would probably take either of those routes to get to Boeing.

Have a good day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
It's ironic this thread is here.

Christmas morning I made the trip from Park West to Roper Hospital in West Ashley & back. I left and went 41 to Clements Ferry. On the return trip I went Long Point to 17 then to 41 and back to my exact starting point. I reset the "trip" on my GPS at the exact same two points both trips. Also, my cruise control was used the entire trip and I attempted to match my speed in all zones both coming and going.

There was no traffic to speak of (11:00a - 1:00p) so pretty much everything was equal. With conditions the same I was surprised to find that actual driving time was within a minute traveling either way. Mileage was within .2 difference.

I was stopped by relatively few lights on the Long Point/17/41 route.

So, all things equal (read: no traffic) both ways are pretty much equal. If there is any danger of traffic on Long Point or 17 in MtP., then I would guess Clements Ferry would be a quicker trip as you only have one light to deal with. Remember, more traffic equals longer light/intersection times.

Just thought this was really interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 11:01 AM

7,934 posts, read 15,061,137 times
I knew it was the same distance and with fewer lights, now if you really want to avoid lights and come out way up 17 by Awendaw you take halfway creek road to the stop sign, Steed Creek Rd., make a right and that takes you down to 17 in Awendaw.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwd350 View Post
Cool!! That is very ironic!

That is very good to know though. I've been wondering the mileage difference.

I don't live there yet, but I would probably take either of those routes to get to Boeing.

Have a good day!
If you are inbound during the 6:30~8:30 time frame Clements Ferry Rd isn't a good way to go, all of those subdivision leaving and the night shift leaving places Like Amoco and Nucor back Clements Ferry up from 526 all the way back to Rue's Run and some times to Cainhoy Rd.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:38 AM

3,140 posts, read 4,952,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
If you are inbound during the 6:30~8:30 time frame Clements Ferry Rd isn't a good way to go, all of those subdivision leaving and the night shift leaving places Like Amoco and Nucor back Clements Ferry up from 526 all the way back to Rue's Run and some times to Cainhoy Rd.
I've been that way between 8a-8:30a several times and it is far from being what I consider bad traffic. Sure there are cars and trucks on the road, but that is a fact no matter where you are at 8:00 in the morning. Maybe my experiences are different since I live here.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:17 AM

I drive it every day in the mornings, I am going the opposite direction of the worse of the traffic, but nice try with the 'I live here' thing......

Old 12-27-2010, 11:07 AM

Try for what? All I said was that maybe my experiences are different since I live here (they obviously are). Clements Ferry is far from bad traffic, and is a breeze 90+% of the time.

I generally travel 17 and/or 526 as I don't feel that traffic is near as bad as some folks make it out to be.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
I've been that way between 8a-8:30a several times and it is far from being what I consider bad traffic. Sure there are cars and trucks on the road, but that is a fact no matter where you are at 8:00 in the morning. Maybe my experiences are different since I live here.
Driving it several times in the last what year that you have lived here does not compare to the fact that I drive it every day of the week 50 weeks a year.....

Your attempted jab is that you live there and I do not since I live in Summerville, the attempt fails since I actually travel it more than you do....

Old 12-27-2010, 01:00 PM

OTC...pull the fangs back in. It wasn't a jab and I thought I made that clear to you in my second post.

Yes, you travel Clements Ferry more than I. That doesn't change the fact that I've driven that stretch several times during the timeframe you specified and have my own opinions on the amount of traffic in that area. If traffic actually backs up from 526 to Cainhoy Road, I will consider myself lucky to have not experienced it.

The only "problems" I have ever experienced on Clements Ferry is getting stuck behind a slow tractor/trailer or having to sit at the light for more than one cycle. I'm just lucky like that sometimes.

No need to get so defensive. I wasn't clear in the beginning so I hope my second attempt at explaining does the job. A disagreement is nothing to get worked up over.

I've lived here for over two years.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:12 AM

Actually traveled from Park West to Roper/Bon Secours yesterday morning as well as this morning. Leaving Dunes West Blvd/41/Clements Ferry/526.

My travel times were 9am & 7:30am respectively. Both of these trips were within a minute from the trip I made on Christmas day.

Just relaying my experiences to the poster(s) curious about this route. Keep in mind that this is a holiday week or sorts and it is winter. YMMV at different times of the year.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:51 AM

10,644 posts, read 9,007,867 times
I live off 41 and have to travel up to North Charleston for work. I personally hate going the Clement's Ferry route because I always seem to get stuck behind the guy going 20. Must be my exceptionally bad luck. Doesn't take that long to get through the Hwy 17 traffic and then when I hit Longpoint, it's usually clear sailing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area