U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-28-2010, 02:22 PM
 
27 posts, read 56,342 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

My buddy just got hit the other day for $700 in unpaid parking tickets. They dated back to 2000. How far back are they tracking these tickets?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-28-2010, 03:33 PM
 
291 posts, read 463,650 times
Reputation: 94
If I were in charge of that municipal division, I would attempt to "track back" as far as my records would go. They are parking tickets. He should pay them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2010, 06:48 PM
 
Location: N.Charleston,SC
1,793 posts, read 3,052,718 times
Reputation: 523
,,,when your wrong,,,your wrong! Pay the tickets!
Why in the world would you, (Im sorry him) let it go on for so long??????????????????????
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Charleston, SC
397 posts, read 948,981 times
Reputation: 65
How many tickets? and, it clearly can not be the first time they have notified him about them being "past due"......why shouldn't he have to pay them when others have to? just sayin....but maybe he can at least get late charges dropped....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 02:39 PM
 
313 posts, read 619,137 times
Reputation: 168
They will not arrest him for the tickets... however, if he still lives in that area, he might get a boot. If he does not live in that area and does not care about his credit score, then he can just forget about them... but they will eventually show up on his credit score as unpaid debt.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Summerville, SC
1,195 posts, read 3,002,205 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu2308 View Post
They will not arrest him for the tickets... however, if he still lives in that area, he might get a boot. If he does not live in that area and does not care about his credit score, then he can just forget about them... but they will eventually show up on his credit score as unpaid debt.
wrong, they can and will arrest him when they catch up with him unless he makes a payment before they come looking

unpaid tickets go through the courts and get orders from a judge just like anything else, you don't pay and among other things it's contempt of court and they will eventually put out a warrant for you... depending on how back logged they are or where they put it in priority of course

but yes you can get arrested for it, many people have... I know this because we've had trustees working in our shop that were arrested for unpaid parking tickets, and are doing time in lei of payment... probably would have been easier and cheaper to pay it back before it was due!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2010, 01:24 PM
 
313 posts, read 619,137 times
Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by meks View Post
wrong, they can and will arrest him when they catch up with him unless he makes a payment before they come looking

unpaid tickets go through the courts and get orders from a judge just like anything else, you don't pay and among other things it's contempt of court and they will eventually put out a warrant for you... depending on how back logged they are or where they put it in priority of course

but yes you can get arrested for it, many people have... I know this because we've had trustees working in our shop that were arrested for unpaid parking tickets, and are doing time in lei of payment... probably would have been easier and cheaper to pay it back before it was due!
I would hope most places have better things to do then to jam up the court and jail system over parking tickets.

Have you ever watched parking wars I think is on A&E? Cops never arrest people for parking tickets. They just tow your car.

I guess it depends on the city, my hunch is major metropolitan areas do not bother arresting people for parking offenses... but maybe touristy or rinky dink towns that don't have better things for the cops to do might.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2010, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Summerville, SC
1,195 posts, read 3,002,205 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu2308 View Post
I would hope most places have better things to do then to jam up the court and jail system over parking tickets.

Have you ever watched parking wars I think is on A&E? Cops never arrest people for parking tickets. They just tow your car.

I guess it depends on the city, my hunch is major metropolitan areas do not bother arresting people for parking offenses... but maybe touristy or rinky dink towns that don't have better things for the cops to do might.
I used to say that same thing, even asked Mitch Lucas about it... he's the Charleston County Detention Center Chief, Head Boss...

I asked him why they jail these guys for tickets, child support, etc etc. knowing that sometimes they are pulling them off of good jobs that they could just garnish their wages... doesn't make sense eh??

until he explained how well and CHEAP the jail runs using inmate staff for all the cleaning, cooking, landscaping, repairs etc etc... now multiply that times all the govt buildings and libraries, sidewalks, easements etc etc etc
that they also use those inmates for and you'll understand why such "rinky dinky" towns do such smart things

one must look at both sides of the coin to know what it's value is, especially in "rinky dinky touristy" Charleston... otherwise it might fly right over your big city head... geezzzz
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2010, 07:36 PM
 
313 posts, read 619,137 times
Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by meks View Post
I used to say that same thing, even asked Mitch Lucas about it... he's the Charleston County Detention Center Chief, Head Boss...

I asked him why they jail these guys for tickets, child support, etc etc. knowing that sometimes they are pulling them off of good jobs that they could just garnish their wages... doesn't make sense eh??

until he explained how well and CHEAP the jail runs using inmate staff for all the cleaning, cooking, landscaping, repairs etc etc... now multiply that times all the govt buildings and libraries, sidewalks, easements etc etc etc
that they also use those inmates for and you'll understand why such "rinky dinky" towns do such smart things

one must look at both sides of the coin to know what it's value is, especially in "rinky dinky touristy" Charleston... otherwise it might fly right over your big city head... geezzzz
Haha, oh the hypocrisy! You just said you used to think the same as me... but then you put in a smart aleck comment like "it might fly right over your big city head.... geeezzzz" I guess if flew right over your big city head as well.

By the way, I guess judges, lawyers, court personnel, cops, etc all work for free. Probably costs the city 5 times as much to collect what a parking ticket is worth by arresting the offender. I don't care what Barney Fife told you, he was only looking at part of the cost.

Guess that flew right through your head. Geeezzzz.

Just remember you took it to this level of hostility, not me.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2010, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Summerville, SC
1,195 posts, read 3,002,205 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu2308 View Post
Haha, oh the hypocrisy! You just said you used to think the same as me... but then you put in a smart aleck comment like "it might fly right over your big city head.... geeezzzz" I guess if flew right over your big city head as well.

By the way, I guess judges, lawyers, court personnel, cops, etc all work for free. Probably costs the city 5 times as much to collect what a parking ticket is worth by arresting the offender. I don't care what Barney Fife told you, he was only looking at part of the cost.

Guess that flew right through your head. Geeezzzz.

Just remember you took it to this level of hostility, not me.
dude you're the one that threw the insult in about our city, "rinky dinky touristy", I just reciprocated

and all those people you talk about, cops, courts, lawyers, court personnel all work FOR the county and are on either salary or hourly... they make the same whether they sit on their butts or work on cases like this, I'm all for keeping them working!

it's like the new saying, what don't you understand about illegal? you don't let people off when they've broken laws no matter how small your opinion is about them... no?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top