U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,309 times

Advertisements

I am so excited about Trader Joes opening in Mt. Pleasant. I have shopped their stores all over the US and in Greenville,ever since they opened. Wholefoods shoppers are in for a treat.GREAT quality food with a MUCH smaller price tag.Even their reusable shopping bags are over the top at a minimal charge. I have bought them for all of my family.Just need the date for Grand opening. I still have to drive 1 1/2 hours to get there. Worth the drive..... Nancy J.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 07:57 AM

842 posts, read 1,067,639 times
Tomorrow! Anyone planning on going to the grand opening? Maybe we should go as a city data group, and tell them what rave reviews they'll get if they treat us right!

Old 07-28-2011, 10:12 AM

1,915 posts, read 2,446,516 times
We received a coupon/postcard in the mail for their free reusable bags -- savvy marketing! And I've bought those bags in the past 'cause they're very festive for carrying anything & as gift bags as well.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:12 PM

22,469 posts, read 12,063,761 times
I have so many reusable bags I need a closet just for them. Not going today. I'll go one day next week early...when it's quieter and I can really shop

Old 07-29-2011, 06:41 AM

1,889 posts, read 4,818,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I have so many reusable bags I need a closet just for them. Not going today. I'll go one day next week early...when it's quieter and I can really shop
I am waiting for next week as well. I don't feel the need to go when they first open. I can't wait though....

Basil opens Monday that is what I am really excited about!

Old 07-29-2011, 04:45 PM

Well, I took the plunge and ventured over to TJ today. It was the expected madhouse, but folks were generally being pleasant and laid back, and lots of folks walking around with smiles on their faces. Comments heard - 'wow, that's a great price for this' - 'look they carry this!' - 'oh, we have to try this'!

The prices look wonderful on most things. I found several items that were up to $2 and $3 dollars less expensive than WF or HT. Meat prices and dairy prices were about equivalent. Nice cheese selection, but they can't top WF on that. Lots of people with shopping carts full of wine! Box of TJ brand shredded wheat with maple and brown sugar - huge box, stuffed full - $2.99; name brand at HT or Publix is $4.99.

I mainly did the perimeter of the store; tried up and down the aisles, but it was just too packed, and I couldn't really see much of anything.

Was impressed with the checkers who really seemed to know what they were doing, especially for a first day. There seemed to be a lot of 'floaters' out on the floor, answering questions.

Now I can't wait til it settles down a bit to really go and spend some time!

Note; I don't work at TJ - Just a huge fan!

Old 07-29-2011, 06:42 PM

9,038 posts, read 14,260,455 times
I went today also around 2ish. It wasn't so bad. People were leaving good parking spots just as others were looking for them. It was crowded but not so bad you couldn't get up and down the aisles. The store seemed a little smaller than the one in Greenville. Pricing was higher and quality was lower for most of the produce but if you could find good produce it was about 15% less than WF's pricing.

I guess bananas are big sellers as people must think 19 cents each sounds cheap. They price them per banana there and it doesn't occur to people that they are probably paying double for bananas. There is no scale around to weigh them to see if you are getting a bargain or not.

One thing I noticed is that while the cheese section was a little sparse, they did have RAW cows' and sheeps' milk blue cheeses.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:12 PM

1,921 posts, read 3,003,681 times
I went tonight around 7 pm. It was packed! I knew exactly what I wanted, so I just grabbed it all and checked out. The store had everything that I used to buy at the one in MA. They must carry the same stuff everywhere. The prices seemed a little less here than the one in MA that I used to go to. I will go back again once the newness is gone.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:52 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,248,903 times
Did any of you who visited notice if they carry bulk chocolate? WF has bulk white chocolate but it is expensive and has a waxy flavor. I use it for baking, and while I planned a trip to check out TJ later next week I would go sooner for some chocolate. I have really been missing TJ since I moved here, so I'm excited. I am NOT a fan of WF (did some work with them on the corporate side of the business and they were pretty icky) so I have only been in there a few times since they opened.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:09 AM

Actually, for the good chocolate, the prices WF has for Calabaut and Valrhona aren't too bad. The Valrhona white is better than Calabaut IMO, but they don't always have it there.

I wasn't able to get a good look at the baking supplies at TJ yesterday, too many people in the aisles.

I do a lot of baking at Christmastime; I'd be interested in going together with you and buying some chocolate mail order in bulk. Shoot me a Pm if you'd be interested. It's too hot to ship it now, but around Thanksgiving hopefully we'll be cool enough that it'll ship okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or