U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 03:52 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,599,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
I don't need that, I already live here......
LOL....yup it's 2 inches thisaway, and 1/2 inch thataway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 07:08 PM

543 posts, read 1,021,694 times
Ha! which RYL plan did you build? I'm thinking about adding a new model there soon.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:38 AM

18 posts, read 58,095 times
Hi hamilton, We moved here from Lake Stevens last May, I have been at Boeing 15 years but decided to take a job at the new plant. We bought in Legend Oaks in the Palmetto section and love it here. Our first day my daughter already had 5 new little friends and we have 14 kids ages 5 to 12 on our little street, they are VERY respectful and polite. There is always a Mr. or Mrs. in front of whoever name they are talking to. The neighbors brought us chocolate cake, plants and had a little neighborhood bbq our first weekend here. We now all take turns once a month to have a gathering at each home on the street,, have chili cook offs and feel pretty lucky to have so many awesome new people in our lives. I only mention this because I know some people over in Meyers Mill and they have told me the same stories when they moved in and they still have weekend get together's. Hey, the kids shouldn't be the only one that get to play! . There are 7 homes on our street and only one family is actually from SC and she works for TMobile in Bellevue, irony I guess?

As far as the drive time it really depends on when you leave to head towards the plant. It usually takes me 30min to get there, I leave around 8. I work in the Leeds building though and it's a little bit farther than the plant. If I leave earlier like around 7 it takes about 45min.

Most of the HOA's let you put up a fence within the guidelines of their rules.

Good Luck on your move. Yes, it's a bit different down here but that's part of the adventure I guess. I absolutely DO NOT miss Washington weather and absolutely love all the sunny days down here.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:50 PM

4 posts, read 3,678 times
If you are wife and relocating with a spouse please read Robin Pascoes "Movable Marriages." I wish I had that book with before my first two relocations. The third relocation to Charleston did not survive...I was preparing the house to rent and getting our youngest through Kindergarten. Some thing was nagging me for months...I followed my intuition and found out before I confirmed with the movers that my husband was having an affair with a fellow Boeing engineer. I trusted him when he told she is much older (55 true) and just a friend (not true). I just thank God I didn't move myself and thd children down there without that knowledge. My point is that cross country relocations come with many challenges and stresses to families. Husbands sometimes get big job offers and inflated self esteem. You don't have to be in Asia and they don't have be young I found out. So, wives PLEASE be prepared and DO NOT let your husband move ahead with out you. I can't think of a better book to recommend than Robin Pascoe's book.

Not moving to Charleston no more.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:15 AM

61 posts, read 182,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeIMO View Post
If you are wife and relocating with a spouse please read Robin Pascoes "Movable Marriages." I wish I had that book with before my first two relocations. The third relocation to Charleston did not survive...I was preparing the house to rent and getting our youngest through Kindergarten. Some thing was nagging me for months...I followed my intuition and found out before I confirmed with the movers that my husband was having an affair with a fellow Boeing engineer. I trusted him when he told she is much older (55 true) and just a friend (not true). I just thank God I didn't move myself and thd children down there without that knowledge. My point is that cross country relocations come with many challenges and stresses to families. Husbands sometimes get big job offers and inflated self esteem. You don't have to be in Asia and they don't have be young I found out. So, wives PLEASE be prepared and DO NOT let your husband move ahead with out you. I can't think of a better book to recommend than Robin Pascoe's book.

Not moving to Charleston no more.
Basically your saying all men that move ahead cheat. I've never heard such a load off bull in my my life. You need to stop putting crap into people's heads.

I've been far away from my wife for long lengths of times, 13 months was the longest. Did I cheat, no. Did I think about cheating? No. Did my wife cheat? No. Did I ask her or did she ask me if I cheated? No, cause we trust each other 100%.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:10 AM

339 posts, read 1,049,262 times
Welcome to another Boeing family. We have come from Seattle via Kennedy Space center, and Marshall Space center (Huntsville,Alabama). I can tell you that you won't complain about a cool summer. We really love the area, and live in a neighborhood less than 15 minutes from the boeing campus.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:38 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,794,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by william_wallace View Post
Basically your saying all men that move ahead cheat. I've never heard such a load off bull in my my life. You need to stop putting crap into people's heads.

I've been far away from my wife for long lengths of times, 13 months was the longest. Did I cheat, no. Did I think about cheating? No. Did my wife cheat? No. Did I ask her or did she ask me if I cheated? No, cause we trust each other 100%.
Exactly. I've moved several times, and been on assignments over a year long across the country and neither of us have cheated. On the other hand, I do know someone currently living here, whose husband and the guy she's cheating with also both live here. She'll sit there and text both of them at the same time, making plans for one at the start of the evening and the other later on. It doesn't take distance for something like that to happen.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:14 AM

259 posts, read 461,757 times
ah, yes....Boeing sub-culture is it not grand... Payton Place w/o the actors. Funny (not ha, ha) how we turn a blind eye.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:38 PM

4 posts, read 3,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow9713 View Post
ah, yes....Boeing sub-culture is it not grand... Payton Place w/o the actors. Funny (not ha, ha) how we turn a blind eye.
Yes it is and I’m sure it’s not exclusive to the aircraft business. Poor Harry, how did he get ousted?

]Right it is not ha, ha funny. It is heartbreaking betrayal, it is dreams shattered, it is promises broken, lies upon lies, financial loss, it IS a nightmare and literally nauseating and most important it’s the young children whose lives are shattered forever.

Well, didn’t mean to come across as an alarmist. I had posted previously under a different name….and I was looking at those past posts for what clues I missed. Of course since then I have read everything I can get my hands on to understand what the heck is going although a bit too late… just trying to come to terms with crap and wanted to share a good resource as way to help …I guess a bit too eagerly.

I now know it was nothing I did, but I can’t help but think what if I had done this instead none of this would have happened. In retrospect every one of our relocations was a huge stress in our lives and we never got the repairs we needed and everything just compounded throughout the years. Hindsight is 20/20.

I was once excited about Charleston and actually, ironically, thought this would be good for the family, get dad some help, come together, etc... Not happening. good grief we bought a house down there …geez, I guess I could still move down there and claim my half of the house and try to get re-employed with Boeing! That would be irony.

One day I clicked on the Internet and the red flags were raised to the top. Of course they were already raised, hence my caution about moving, but hotel bookings and Myrtle Beach are kind of hard to ignore… how does one beg his wife to hurry up and call the movers back to set the move the date just the day before his trip to the beach with his coworker? I realize now, pretty sick. I am thankful someone sent me the signs.

Tokyo, Texas, Seattle, Singapore, or Charleston, smooth or wrinkled, young or aged, silky hair or bleach blonde…crap it doesn’t really matter. It’s an insidious narcissistic behavior based upon layers of lies…one that needs an enabler. Not doing that anymore.

At least if the company relocates a family internationally they will not turn a blind eye to family distress issue and relocate the wives and kids and/or everyone back home if it doesn’t work out; they do it all the time – sadly. I can’t imagine they would have done that if I had moved to Charleston and discovered the affairee living down Dorchester Rd. Stateside you are on your own.

]Staying in Seattle moving on to bigger and better things…

Last edited by JustMeIMO; 11-05-2011 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: Format
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area