Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2011, 04:04 PM

17 posts, read 37,114 times

Advertisements

I am from NC and considering a move to Harborview Rd. area of James Island or Bees Ferry/Shadowmoss.

Please share comments if you live in one of these locations, or know of them. Looking for comments regarding neatness/tidiness of area, near-by restaurants/markets, residents, etc. and also comments on crime, (particularly near Piggly Wiggly on Harborview), travel times to beaches/downtown Charleston, but any overall info helpful!

Thanks-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 7,355 times
James Island is where you want to be. Just not my neighborhood. Lot closer to beach and downtown.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:35 PM

Thanks Chris2011, for your response!

Old 01-06-2011, 08:16 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,763,641 times
Both are favorite areas of mine......prices will be about the same, but it will depend on where you will be working and whether you have school-age children as to which one I would point you towards. James Island elem. schools (Harborview and Stiles Point Elem. are excellent, Ft. Johnson Middle is really good, and James Island Charter High School is very good.) James Island is a smaller community where you get to know most everyone through work, kids, neighborhoods, beach, church, etc. where West Ashley is more spread out. Shadowmoss is a very nice neighborhood and I join their pool every summer....however, driving to and from work on 61 or Bees Ferry Rd. would drive me crazy! Heavy traffic! James Island is also much closer to the beach (Folly).

Old 01-06-2011, 08:50 PM

10 posts, read 17,568 times
Near the Piggly Wiggly on Harborview Rd., you can get downtown in about 10 minutes, give or take a few depending on the time you leave. It's a very convenient location to work, shopping, schools, churches, and the beach. There's a nice, relaxed feel to the area. Nothing uppity about it. Other than the Piggly Wiggly, you've got a Super Bi-Lo, Publix, Harris Teeter, and Earth Fare within a short driving distance. As far as tidiness of the area, it varies by neighborhood and street. Stiles Point Plantation on Harborview Rd. is nice, and there are other nice neighborhoods too. Bayview Farms is just a few minutes from the Piggly Wiggly and offers amenities like pools, etc. You asked about crime. There has been a rash of break-ins on James Island over the past year; just today there was an article in the paper about recent break-ins in the Harbor Woods neighborhood and on Nabors Dr. Other break-ins in Bayview Farms and other good neighborhoods. I'm sure you could do a search of the Post and Courier on James Island crime and get a sense of what has been going on. The commute from Shadowmoss to downtown would be a deal-breaker for me - lots of traffic. Best of luck in your decision!

Old 01-06-2011, 09:22 PM

Thanks SCB and EBPAM...JI most likely!

Old 01-06-2011, 09:36 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onwardandup View Post
I am from NC and considering a move to Harborview Rd. area of James Island or Bees Ferry/Shadowmoss.

Please share comments if you live in one of these locations, or know of them. Looking for comments regarding neatness/tidiness of area, near-by restaurants/markets, residents, etc. and also comments on crime, (particularly near Piggly Wiggly on Harborview), travel times to beaches/downtown Charleston, but any overall info helpful!

Thanks-
No brainer for me - JI near Piggly Wiggly by far. Nice area, close to downtown, La Tabella across the street (same center as the Pig), near the beach, no comparison on traffic..

Old 01-06-2011, 10:17 PM

Rggr, your response is appreciated!

Old 01-07-2011, 06:04 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times
Echo the others on James Island.

During our house hunt, the nicest house we saw by far was in Shadowmoss...it was new and very big....However, it was a very small lot.

But we wanted to be closer to the beach. I think Shadowmoss is 35-45 minutes to the beach depending? Also, we felt like if we moved to Shadowmoss we would have no reason to go downtown.

Sometimes I still regret not getting more square footage, but I don't regret our location at all (actually Johns Island).

Old 01-07-2011, 08:17 PM

Thanks calgirl, I felt the exact same way about the time to beach/downtown from Shadowmoss-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: