U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 11:30 AM

5 posts, read 6,538 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are going to be moving from Colorado (natives!) to South Carolina for his job. He's going to be working at the Air Force base and I wanted to see if anyone had advise on this move. What are some good places to live near the base? Fun things to do? How's the drive out there? Any advise would work, this is a huge move for us! Thank you everyone!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 12:07 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,046,373 times
What kind of advise are you looking for?

Old 01-10-2011, 12:12 PM

Just wondering what it's like out there, where are good places to live around the AF base, what's to do around the AF base. It's just such a big more for us and I don't know anything about SC! So I guess anything.....sorry that doesn't help does it?

Old 01-10-2011, 12:14 PM

Tell us a little about yourself and what the two of you like to do........

Old 01-10-2011, 12:20 PM

We we're born and raised in Colorado, we have horses and cattle (which we have to leave behind) so we're a bit country. We lived in California at one time for his job and we were really out of place in our Wranglers and boots. We have a black lab so we like being outside, we like to hunt (big and small). We also are laid back when it comes to the night life, we like to country dance but not really club goers. We like to take in as much as we can when we move so I can imagine that there is probably a lot to experience but we're really open to doing new things. We love eating new and different kinds of food because we're usually just steak and potato kind of people. We're both 24 so we're still young and we'd like to meet other young people in the area. We love to horse back ride and seeing wildlife and going to national parks. Umm that's all I can really think of right now.........

Oh and I'm interested in the weather there too.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:39 PM

The outskirts of Summerville sounds like your kind of place if he is going to be on the A/F base. There is still a little "Country" out there.
The only bad thing about it is its a haul from the coast,,that is if you like the beach?
From the way it sounds,,I think you will love the beach!

I like the West Ashley area, its closer to the coast and our barier Islands.

There are not a lot of places to go horse back riding any more.

Here is a link to the Summerville area.
Summerville,SC - Google Maps

And here is a link to the West Ashley area.
West Ashley,SC - Google Maps

Old 01-10-2011, 12:39 PM

23 posts, read 36,292 times
summerville for places to live. there is alot of boating, hunting and fishing activities also!

Old 01-10-2011, 01:29 PM

7,934 posts, read 15,037,614 times
Just copied this from the other post you put up....

The base it's self isn't in the best of areas so you will not want to live there....

Summerville, West Ashley or one of the islands if you can afford them would be a good choice...

As for things to do, that is going to depend on what you like to do, one thing we have here that you do not in Co. is the ocean...

Now that I read your other responses, I agree Summerville or even further out may be what you are looking for.....

Old 01-10-2011, 01:54 PM

2,525 posts, read 7,170,615 times
Don't overlook John's Island. Much more rural, laid-back feel to it, plenty of places around with horses, etc.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:01 PM

11 posts, read 18,795 times
Summerville or Johns Island... and depending on what is acceptable re: commuting distance I would say Ravenel .... it sounds like you need some space ...but don't want to have to drive an hour to a Thai restaurant or a great beach ... You might even like some new construction options on Johns Island with larger than typical lot sizes... You can stable horses at Stono Ferry - or Middleton etc. - not sure if that is a consideration ... Johns Island is slowly developing but still maintains a rural feel and is within 20 minutes to downtown Charleston .. Good Luck with your move...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area