U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 09:09 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,051,814 times

Advertisements

,,,,,,good choice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 03:09 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,904,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversides View Post
We just purchased a property in West Ashley. It is in a cookie cutter subdivision (at least this area of it) buuut....we had a very limited budget.

Of all the places we looked, West Ashley looked like South Carolina to us.

I currently live in the Chicagland area. All the places short of downtown, and the beach communities, look just like suburbs here in the midwest (yes, diehards, there are exceptions) until you get over to Johns Island and West Ashley.

We loved the island feel of Johns Island, and the feel of West Ashley is just what we were after. The higher your budget, the better it gets.

For us, it was only one choice, West Ashley.

Welcome Neighbor

Old 01-13-2012, 06:11 PM

21 posts, read 44,781 times
This thread has been so helpful! We'll be there in April to scout homes & jobs, and I just can't wait!

Old 01-15-2012, 05:51 AM

27 posts, read 56,049 times
Default my dilema also

We will be moving to Charleston in the next few months and we also have that dilema. When last visiting, we looked at M.P. and loved that it had a Trader Joes, WholeFoods, and Sullivans beach on Sunday morning with all the dog owners was just what we love. BUT...Our budget for purchasing a house is challenging for MP (200ish) but WA and JI has much more to choose from.
We dont have kids in school so we dont care about schools but we love the beach, must have a natural foods grocery, and want to be close to downtown (within 10 min or so) A neighborhood with character. No cookie cutters.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:59 AM

35 posts, read 75,387 times
I currently live in WA and you can have access to all the things you seek and stay within your budget. EarthFare is an organic, whole foods store in WA and Folly Beach is a short drive.

I truly love it here. I do have kids and plan to send them to school here at the local, public level.

My neighborhood is Forest Lakes (off Magwood and Glenn McConnell) and it has houses built in the 70's with sidewalks and lots of cul-de-sacs and a wonderful neighborhood feel. Lots of people walk their dogs, kids, and just with each other around here. I feel safe here.

As for the ? about the elementary school of the arts, a very close friend has a daughter that goes there and it does seem to be as great inside as outside. Her daughter loves school and takes dance at school and is getting a great education.

Hope this is a helpful response

Old 01-15-2012, 07:02 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,051,814 times
Here is a good place to start, then go south on Hwy 17 or Hwy 61.
There is a "Earth Fare" food store here in this shopping center.

Google Maps

Old 01-15-2012, 09:58 AM

69 posts, read 154,172 times
Also it is much faster to go downtown coming from W ashley than from mount pleasant. The distance is shorter and most of the time there is less traffic.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,088 times
I am considering relocating to Charleston this summer from Baltimore, MD and I was wondering your take on the private schools in the area -- both in Mount Pleasant and in West Ashley?

Also, a lot of my searches have returned the better of the schools are in these 2 communities (for private schools). Is that true? Does James Island or N. Charleston offer any good alternatives?

Overall, what is your opinion for a young family moving to a new area, consider only these 2 areas or is James Island and N Charleston viable options as well?

Also, are public schools an option? If so, what area would you reccomend? In our area in Baltimore, only private schools are an option.

Thanks, in advance, for your advice!

Old 01-17-2012, 02:07 PM

2,525 posts, read 7,178,500 times
Private Schools can be found in all of the above locations. Religious based, or secular? If you're going public, the public schools in Mount Pleasant rank highest in comparison to the areas you've mentioned and they are certainly viable choices, some likely even on par with education levels of private schools. I moved down from Southern Maryland myself 8 years ago, haven't looked back. Be sure and make a trip down this Spring to see the place for yourself, you won't be disappointed.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:12 PM

5,615 posts, read 12,789,652 times
It's fine where we are anyway. I've even screwed up and forgotten to close one of the garage doors overnight without any problems. Not that I recommend making that a habit or anything...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area