Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 11:48 AM

116 posts, read 183,779 times

Advertisements

up to $375k but would really prefer to keep under $350k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 11:53 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times
You can find that on James Isl in the Stiles Point neighborhood. That's the best elementary school on James Isl and is not a bad school. Good size lots in any of the older neighborhoods there too.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:25 PM

17 posts, read 60,073 times
Whether you have children or not, the school district can have a definitely impact when you decide to sell. Mt. Pleasant is a much newer area with many amenities and good schools. If James Island, definitely suggest the Harborview Road area. Ft. Johnson Road. Lawton Bluff, Stiles Point, Harbor Woods, Bayview Farms come to minds, plus some on the harbor end of Ft. Johnson. These are just a few but should give you a starting point. Traffic down Harborview Road toward the city is most often a grind at rush hours. Look for a house facing the West for best sunlight exposure and to avoid the heat in the afternoon on the backside deck. Also look for a house where you have a light or turn right into traffic if going to work each day. Also be mindful of elevation as when flood insurance is required it can be pricey. Avoid moving into the Town of James Island if at all possible if you are looking for an open minded municipality.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:38 AM

116 posts, read 183,779 times
We are going to concentrate on the areas mentioned ( stiles point etc) We did look around in that particular neighborhood when we last visited and liked it. We did also like a few neighborhoods in Mount Pleasant as well, particularly Snee Farms but the lots are very small, smaller than we want. I will say that the people we have met have been super friendly and we are looking forward to the move!

Old 01-19-2014, 08:29 AM

3,838 posts, read 3,064,305 times
efipoliRN, if you do check out Stiles Point don't get confused with the elementary schools. Right now, there's 2 elementary schools at the same site on Mikell Drive - Harborview & Stiles Point. Harborview ES is temporaily using the old Stiles Point ES building while a new Harborview school is built near the intersection of Harborview Rd and Folly Rd. The Stiles Point ES building is fairly new and is located behind Harborview ES. Both schools are good.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:33 AM

259 posts, read 453,989 times
Cosign EW's warnings about Harborview Rd.

There are several lovely neighborhoods along it but HV is a dangerous road to navigate, especially during rush hours.

I believe the City is moving forward with safety upgrades but will take awhile.

Have a light or turn right is RIGHT!

Old 01-19-2014, 03:32 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everwatchful View Post
Whether you have children or not, the school district can have a definitely impact when you decide to sell. Mt. Pleasant is a much newer area with many amenities and good schools. If James Island, definitely suggest the Harborview Road area. Ft. Johnson Road. Lawton Bluff, Stiles Point, Harbor Woods, Bayview Farms come to minds, plus some on the harbor end of Ft. Johnson. These are just a few but should give you a starting point. Traffic down Harborview Road toward the city is most often a grind at rush hours. Look for a house facing the West for best sunlight exposure and to avoid the heat in the afternoon on the backside deck. Also look for a house where you have a light or turn right into traffic if going to work each day. Also be mindful of elevation as when flood insurance is required it can be pricey. Avoid moving into the Town of James Island if at all possible if you are looking for an open minded municipality.
I own 3 houses in the town of James Island and haven't had any problems with them. What kind of issues have you experienced?
I agree about Harborview Road getting clogged up during rush hr. It's fine if you can avoid rush hour during the school year though.
Yes! Flood insurance is a big issue in the whole Charleston area. Anyone buying here needs to pay attention to how it applies to any property they're considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by efipoliRN View Post
We are going to concentrate on the areas mentioned ( stiles point etc) We did look around in that particular neighborhood when we last visited and liked it. We did also like a few neighborhoods in Mount Pleasant as well, particularly Snee Farms but the lots are very small, smaller than we want. I will say that the people we have met have been super friendly and we are looking forward to the move!
It's usually the older neighborhoods that have the larger lots. Charleston is a friendly place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
efipoliRN, if you do check out Stiles Point don't get confused with the elementary schools. Right now, there's 2 elementary schools at the same site on Mikell Drive - Harborview & Stiles Point. Harborview ES is temporaily using the old Stiles Point ES building while a new Harborview school is built near the intersection of Harborview Rd and Folly Rd. The Stiles Point ES building is fairly new and is located behind Harborview ES. Both schools are good.
Good point! The Harborview Elementary is due to be completed by the 2014 school year and I think it'll be pretty nice. I'll bet Stiles Point will be glad to have their campus back to themselves too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftaway123 View Post
Cosign EW's warnings about Harborview Rd.

There are several lovely neighborhoods along it but HV is a dangerous road to navigate, especially during rush hours.

I believe the City is moving forward with safety upgrades but will take awhile.

Have a light or turn right is RIGHT!
Turning left onto Harborview can be a pain when there's a steady flow of traffic but I wouldn't call it dangerous at most intersections. I live on North Shore Dr and turning left from THAT road in particular is tough but there's other roads to choose that are much easier. At one time there was talk about not allowing a left from North Shore onto Harborview but I'm not sure what happened to that idea. I always use James, Waites or Ft Sumpter Dr.
I think they're slated to start the Harborview Rd improvements sometime in 2014.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area