Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 03:30 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,996,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown2You View Post
How exactly can warm water to the east create storms to the west that are moving from west to east?

In other words, please explain how a warm ocean is creating the snow in the northeast when that weather is moving in from the west? Thanks!
Same way a hurricane needs WARM water to grow. You can read about it at www.weather.com . Or join Stu Ostro's FB page. Then that answer wouldn't be unknown to you!

p.s. > How many storms moving from W to E have BLOWN up when they reached the warm atlantic ocean? Hence, the bigger they are the more snow they produce as they migrate up the east coast.

Last edited by pokrplr; 01-13-2011 at 03:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 05:37 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,322,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrplr View Post
Same way a hurricane needs WARM water to grow. You can read about it at www.weather.com . Or join Stu Ostro's FB page. Then that answer wouldn't be unknown to you!

p.s. > How many storms moving from W to E have BLOWN up when they reached the warm atlantic ocean? Hence, the bigger they are the more snow they produce as they migrate up the east coast.
They also pick up moisture from the Great Lakes, called Lake Effect Snow.....

Old 01-14-2011, 06:59 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,786,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug123 View Post
My husband and I are considering a move to Charleston (MtP & DI), however we are concerned about hurricanes. Maybe there are areas safer than others? I've heard east of 17 is high risk and pretty much all of Daniel Island. Is that true? What about Park West/Dunes West? Are those heavy flood zones too? I'm sure if a hurricane hit, most of the area would be in trouble, but it would be smart to be on higher ground, or off the water. How could I obtain a map to check the various parts? Is there something on-line or would I have to order a map from FEMA? I appreciate any info. Thanks!
You can get FEMA maps online for free on their site.

FEMA Map Service Center -

Old 01-14-2011, 07:57 AM

3 posts, read 13,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug123 View Post
My husband and I are considering a move to Charleston (MtP & DI), however we are concerned about hurricanes. Maybe there are areas safer than others? I've heard east of 17 is high risk and pretty much all of Daniel Island. Is that true? What about Park West/Dunes West? Are those heavy flood zones too? I'm sure if a hurricane hit, most of the area would be in trouble, but it would be smart to be on higher ground, or off the water. How could I obtain a map to check the various parts? Is there something on-line or would I have to order a map from FEMA? I appreciate any info. Thanks!
I live in downtown Charleston and work on Daniel Island (commuting through Mt. Pleasant every day). During the heavy rainstorms when there is flooding in the area, downtown is by far the worst place to be. I have never seen flooding on Daniel Island. There's no way to tell how the island would survive a hurricane because it was undeveloped the last time a serious storm hit. But I agree w/other comments that of all the natural disasters to deal with, hurricanes at least provide enough warning to prepare and get out safely before the storm hits. The risk is a trade off for all the benefits of living in this beautiful city. And Daniel Island is an amazing community if you are looking for a small town atmosphere with lots and lots to do - I wouldn't let the risk of storms scare you away!

Old 01-14-2011, 10:48 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,017,454 times
Really, if you're that concerned about hurricanes, any area in the Charleston area is at risk. That being said, if you're worried about flooding, then simply buy a home that is not in a federal flood zone. I live in Mt P but I'm over 20 ft above sea level. Doesn't mean I won't ever see flooding, just means that I'm less likely to suffer from flooding but catastrophic flooding would have an impact on me and really most of Charleston.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:54 AM

26 posts, read 122,608 times
Thanks for all the replies. I was able to find some flood maps on the FEMA web site as well as a SLOSH map, showing a hypothetical impact of a hurricane to the Charleston area. I'm sharing these links below to anyone interested. I can see from these 2 sources, there are small pockets of higher ground, mostly west of 17 in MtP. It really varies from street to street. I"m going to have to plug in addresses as we look at houses on a case by case basis. It doesn't work to say "this neighborhood is safer". One street may be in an A flood zone, then 2 streets over from that is in the X zone (non flood area). No matter where we go in Charleston, we are going to need flood insurance even in the non-mandated areas, just to be on the safe side. I've heard thats around 450 bucks a year, and well worth it.

[SIZE=3]http://www.msc.fema.gov[/SIZE]

Charleston County Flood Zones

Old 01-15-2011, 08:04 AM

859 posts, read 1,361,284 times
Please remember that the flood zone maps are only for the actual storm surge that is the water that is pushed onshore directly as a result of the wind from the storm.

Even if you live in a 'safe' area relative to storm surge, if Charleston gets a strong storm, you're likely going to be flooded in some way just by the volume of rain generated by the storm, and the drainage systems getting backed up.

Your best bet, if you find a neighborhood you like, is to try and find some old-timers who were there during Hugo - ask them what the street was like as far as flooding, tree damage, etc.

I was here for Hugo; moved away shortly after that, and swore I would never be back. But after 13 years in 'Joisey', Charleston was looking mighty sweet again, so we moved back. I don't regret it, and we've done everything we can to be prepared. Hurricanes and bad tropical systems are the price we pay for living in such a beautiful area.

We live in Snee Farm, and our elevation is 16 feet and we're right outside the major flood zone. We elected to get flood damage, and it gives us peace of mind to know it's there. Make sure if you do get insurance, that you're covered for wind also.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:41 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,302 times
Beyond Hugo how many hurricanes, including week ones have really hit here?

Old 01-15-2011, 05:09 PM

459 posts, read 1,641,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Beyond Hugo how many hurricanes, including week ones have really hit here?

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gifs/strikes_us.jpg (broken link)

Click here for a visual

Old 01-15-2011, 05:12 PM

459 posts, read 1,641,845 times
Or this one

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gifs/1851_2008_mjrhurr_1350x888.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area