U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 09:10 AM

158 posts, read 535,603 times

Advertisements

I was just going to post a simple, yet important question.......

My wife wants to move, but is afraid of changes in her life. I'll keep things simple. If you look at some of my posts from some time back, you'll know our family situation.

Those of you who have moved from out of state, whose spouse's or kids, family members, have been un-easy/scared about moving to the Charleston/MP area??

I'll just say, where we live now, we do not have family that aknowledges we're even around. EVEN with the past history of losing all my in-laws AND my mother!

So... moving from family is not an issue at all. And is not the reason we're moving..... it DOES make our decision easier though.

My wife is not saying she doesn't want to move, she's just scared. She feels like it is Gods will for us to do so, or at least try. Our house has been for sale for 4 years with intentions on moving to the MP area. I put in for a job at Boeing. We had an offer on our house the week before Boeing called me for an interview I interviewed, got back, and recieved a call saying I'm getting the job if I want it! So...... WHAT A COINCEDIENCE!!

She is worried about friends and she is an EXTREMELY FRIENDLY PERSON.... Just doesn't like change.

Has anyones elses wife felt the same?

How have things turned out?

She's a stay at home mother of a 2 year old and soon to be(in June) another!

I know everyones feelings are different. I'm just looking at what others have experienced with a move.

Also, we do not HAVE to move, it is our choice TO move. And we both feel its what we need to do.

Myself, on the other hand, am trying to control my excitement!!!! I'm beyond words as to how I feel about this!!!!!!! I just can not wait!

Have a GREAT DAY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 09:14 AM

7,934 posts, read 15,058,835 times
Have you brought her down here to visit and look around, I think if you do that it will ease her anxiety.....

I don't live in MtP so I don't know what it is like to make friends over there, but with kids it is easier to meet people with the kids at the paygrounds...

Old 01-17-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Have you brought her down here to visit and look around, I think if you do that it will ease her anxiety.....

I don't live in MtP so I don't know what it is like to make friends over there, but with kids it is easier to meet people with the kids at the paygrounds...
Oh yeah!!! We've been several times!! She LOVES IT! And.... has a friend in Summerville...

She thinks it great, but just scared to move...

We both moved to Arkansas (NWest) when we were 12-13yrs. She's from Cali, I'm from NY(upstate). Go figure

I had to talk her INTO trying to bartend part-time on weekends, NOT quitting her day job. She felt she wouldn't do good. First night over 100 bucks! Needless to say... she ended up being the most friendly, highest tipped bartender the club ever had!!!! She thanks me now.

I'm not looking to say "I told you so" when we move. I don't expect that living somewhere we vaction, is going to be the same at all.

As stated before, we lost alot of family, life is short. We both are bored off our $%$ here. Bored with my good paying job, surroundings, nothing to do.

Anyhow...... I know we'll be fine.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:32 AM

7,934 posts, read 15,058,835 times
Yeah, shouldn't be an issue. If she is already familiar with the area has one friend already it shouldn't be hard to expand on that to make more friends....

Old 01-17-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Yeah, shouldn't be an issue. If she is already familiar with the area has one friend already it shouldn't be hard to expand on that to make more friends....
Yeah. Thats what I'm thinking.

Thank you for your response!!

Old 01-17-2011, 10:01 AM

2,525 posts, read 7,179,002 times
Its just her comfort level, it seems. All of ours are different. I'm sure things will work out if she's already making friends and loves the area. Best of luck!

Old 01-17-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShymansky View Post
Its just her comfort level, it seems. All of ours are different. I'm sure things will work out if she's already making friends and loves the area. Best of luck!
Thank you.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:14 AM

364 posts, read 809,520 times
We were in the same boat 2 years ago. Think of it this way...if you don't take the job and make the move, you'll always play the "what if" game. What if I had taken that job, how would things be different? I think the way things are lining up for you, and the fact that you don't like where you are now, is a pretty good indicator to go for it. Plus, I hear Boeing is a pretty good company to work for! All the best to you both.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:30 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,715,339 times
I understand where your wife is coming from. I, too, am most likely moving in the summer to Summerville but am pretty scared simply because of the family support factor. I am also concerned about whether or not I can get a decent job that is at least what I am making now salary-wise. I also just obtained custody of my 10 yr old son in July, and other than Boston where he lived with his mother, this is the only place he has ever known as home, so I am concerned about him having to adjust to yet another major change if we move. I suppose I don't have much to add to the post, other than my empathy to your situation. Major life changes are difficult, even when they are positive changes.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:53 PM

217 posts, read 483,250 times
Moving is a big deal to most! I understand her concern. I personally don't mind moving and enjoy change fairly often, but for my parents who just relocated to Mt P as well, it was a big jump for them. They'd been talking about moving south for years but never really acted on it until recently. I've lived in 5 states, and they're just working on their 2nd - and it's only day 3 for them here. My dad was very excited to start a new chapter in his life, but my mother was fairly uneasy, but excited as well. She'd been living in the same 10 mile radius for her entire life. She knew where everything was, never got lost, had all her friends, etc, and she was comfortable. With a little coaxing, she was able to come to the understanding that comfortable doesn't always constitute an ideal situation. Now that they're here she's looking forward to all the new experiences here. And if in a few years it's not all they hoped and dreamed it would be, they can always sell their house here and go back north. But I would bet my future first born child that they won't ever go back up north, lol.

Being that your wife is a stay at home mom of a toddler, she'll be in very good company here in Mt P. I feel a bit out of place because I'm not out pushing my kids in a stroller or taking tennis lessons. I really think she'll be fine once she can make the new home her own and get settle in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or