Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 08:00 AM

161 posts, read 387,531 times

Advertisements

Hello... My husband and I are planning to move in the near future and we are looking for a warmer place to live. We're from Lexington, ky and there is NOTHING to do here unless it's eating out. We have small children (7&9).
What are the fun things to do in charleston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 08:30 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
Lots of fun things, depends on what you and your kids like to do....

If you are a history buff this town is full of it.....

The beaches are great about 8 months out of the year.....

Aquarium, childrens museum, forts (at least three), plantations, etc....

Old 01-18-2011, 08:33 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,019,459 times
Put them in sports locally, and they'll be having fun all year long. Then you've got fishing, beaches, parks, lakes, plantations to tour, local events and fairs....

The list goes on. Just add sunshine!

Old 01-18-2011, 08:37 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,288,840 times
I agree with Tom it depends on your likes and dislikes. I find Charleston has a plethora of activites for almost anyone. There's tons of historical things to see and do, lots of good shopping on King St, fantastic dining, theater, water activites and there always seems to be some festival or event happening in or around Charleston. We just moved here last March from New England and I haven't regretted our move at all, in fact I have never been happier living anywhere. You have your pros and cons with every place you live, and if I had to name one negative it would be the extreme heat and humidity in the summer, but a small price to pay for an otherwise great place to live.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:24 AM

482 posts, read 845,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbrwr View Post
Hello... My husband and I are planning to move in the near future and we are looking for a warmer place to live. We're from Lexington, ky and there is NOTHING to do here unless it's eating out. We have small children (7&9).
What are the fun things to do in charleston?

we moved here from Lex this past summer

Old 01-18-2011, 11:35 AM

161 posts, read 387,531 times
My kids LOVE the beach... we all like to be outdoors, camping, swimming, amusement parks, zoos, etc...

KingPing - What do you think moving from here to there??? We like the good traffic here but like I said this place is way too slow for me.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:46 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,639,987 times
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"way too slow for me".

Slow down and enjoy it,,,,you'll live longer

Old 01-18-2011, 10:51 PM

482 posts, read 845,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbrwr View Post
My kids LOVE the beach... we all like to be outdoors, camping, swimming, amusement parks, zoos, etc...

KingPing - What do you think moving from here to there??? We like the good traffic here but like I said this place is way too slow for me.
We were mainly looking to get away from the cold weather. We ended up on Mt. Pleasant which is about a 5 minute drive to the beach and 15 min. to Charleston. We love it here.

I take it you moved to Lexington? Eating out and watching UK describes it in a nutshell

Old 01-19-2011, 09:57 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Gotta defend my hometown, lovely though Charleston certainly is.

For those who don't look a little more closely, it may seem that Lexingtonians are only interested in UK sports and eating out. But our city offers so much more.

Like Charleston, we have deep historical roots and a lovely physical setting. Like Charleston, we are blessed to have distinctly different natural areas located very close by: Charleston has the beach and the beautiful gardens, we have the mountains within 45 minutes of town, plus the Kentucky River Palisades and a number of large lakes. Within Fayette County, our parks include a large nature preserve along the Kentucky River Palisades, noted for waterfalls, wildflowers, wildlife, fall color, hiking opportunities and many programs. We also have sports-recreational oriented parks, with ball fields, swimming pools, tennis courts and playgrounds.

We have historic home and historic village museums, along with children's, art, and local history museums. Nearby are three toy museums. We have a symphony orchestra plus a community orchestra plus a youth orchestra plus a university orchestra. We have numerous community theatre groups. We have a ring of smaller towns around Lexington, each with its own unique character.

I feel sad for those Lexington residents or visitors who limit themselves to eating out and watching UK. There's so much more.

Thank you, Charlestonians, for allowing me to add a word in defense of my hometown. I've always greatly enjoyed visiting your hometown, so I hope you'll let me return your hospitality and come visit Lexington and the Bluegrass.

Come see us real soon, now, y'hear?

Old 01-20-2011, 06:36 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,288,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Gotta defend my hometown, lovely though Charleston certainly is.

For those who don't look a little more closely, it may seem that Lexingtonians are only interested in UK sports and eating out. But our city offers so much more.

Like Charleston, we have deep historical roots and a lovely physical setting. Like Charleston, we are blessed to have distinctly different natural areas located very close by: Charleston has the beach and the beautiful gardens, we have the mountains within 45 minutes of town, plus the Kentucky River Palisades and a number of large lakes. Within Fayette County, our parks include a large nature preserve along the Kentucky River Palisades, noted for waterfalls, wildflowers, wildlife, fall color, hiking opportunities and many programs. We also have sports-recreational oriented parks, with ball fields, swimming pools, tennis courts and playgrounds.

We have historic home and historic village museums, along with children's, art, and local history museums. Nearby are three toy museums. We have a symphony orchestra plus a community orchestra plus a youth orchestra plus a university orchestra. We have numerous community theatre groups. We have a ring of smaller towns around Lexington, each with its own unique character.

I feel sad for those Lexington residents or visitors who limit themselves to eating out and watching UK. There's so much more.

Thank you, Charlestonians, for allowing me to add a word in defense of my hometown. I've always greatly enjoyed visiting your hometown, so I hope you'll let me return your hospitality and come visit Lexington and the Bluegrass.

Come see us real soon, now, y'hear?
It sounds worthy of a visit. I'll put it on my list of places to visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area