Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 04:48 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times

Advertisements

Just a couple tips on things to avoid...

Driver's license.
Get a utility bill in everyone that is going to be driving's name, they need a utility bill or paystub with your address to give you a license. This will be a problem for stay at home parents that don't have a utility bill.

Hospital bills, other bills, aor a utility bill with your spouses name, and a certified copy of a marriage certificate showing you married that person, does not count. Save a headache and jsut get a utility bill in your name. Paystub works but that could take 3 weeks before you get your first one. Which brings up next thing.

Insurance
Seems like insurance companies will not insure you without a state drivers license number for each driver in the state of SC. So when I go to change our insurance can't add her till she has a drivers license. So going to be an issue, since its time to renew soon, guess I am going to have to renew and lie to our insurance and pretend we still live in FL. We are considering canceling a utility and re instating it instead of waiting for the payperioud cycling at her job.

State Lincenses...
My wife is a Speech Language Pathologist, and requires a license to practice(I am sure there are other state licenses required for other occupations) We just got screwed... Need to have license to get a job, she applies gets license, $220, about average cost for it, now she can start applying. Gets a letter in the mail saying she needs to renew at $220 her licnese is about to expire, look at it, and it is, does calling and finds out its not good for a year, its good till a calendar date, if she had gotten it 8 days later would have been good for a full year. So now we have to pay up again. Already tried bitching, but can't fight a government issue. Already paid $440 in licesning fees and she hasn't even worked a day yet.

Last edited by MustangEater82; 01-18-2011 at 05:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 08:24 PM

23 posts, read 34,906 times
Thanks. We are moving to the area in a few months and drivers license is always a pain...

Old 01-19-2011, 09:38 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,431,020 times
I am not sure about the DL info. I never had to show a bill in my name. I would think your car insurance bill would be enough since you'd both be covered. I find our local DMV to be very easy to get in and out.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:50 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
You have to have an SC driver's license to get insurance in this state now....

Old 01-19-2011, 09:59 AM

291 posts, read 547,976 times
I did not have a single bill in my name when I got my SC driver's license. Not sure I remember ever being asked for every driver of my vehicle when getting insurance either...but I never claim to have a great memory.

I would speak with the head of the licensing division for your wife's occupational issues. It might not help, but I would be a thorn in their side until I was satisfied nothing could be done.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:01 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
Unknown, how long ago was that?

Old 01-19-2011, 11:10 AM

33 posts, read 126,812 times
I was able to get insurance without having my SC drivers license...or my car tags.....just a couple weeks ago. Going to get my license this weekend.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swc3365 View Post
I was able to get insurance without having my SC drivers license...or my car tags.....just a couple weeks ago. Going to get my license this weekend.
OldTomCat, it wasn't long ago. Little over a year I guess.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:46 PM

Another tip for those moving from one of the 45 states that require vehicle insurance in order to obtain your driver's license...South Carolina is one of the 5 states that do not require insurance.

Drive at your own risk.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:40 PM

547 posts, read 1,196,610 times
on the initial issue of needing a utility bill for a drivers license... My wife has not one bill in her name and didnt need it to get her license.... weird. I've never found our DMV here to be near as bad as the ones in Charlotte or S Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area