Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 13,184 times

Advertisements

I am a 54 year old divorced lady looking for a church who has an active ministry for single adults. Not a dating service, a group of adults who appreciate christian friends to go places and do things with. It's harder to find than you might think. Anyone out there had any luck with this? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 03:10 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,761,744 times
I know what you mean! I have been an active member of my church (Episcopalian) for years but we do not have a singles ministry. We have young parents' groups, mothers of toddlers groups, young couples' groups, married couples' ministry, etc. but nothing for those of us who are middle aged and either divorced, widowed, or never married. I have spoken to my minister about this and he said that I should start one, but to be careful not to make it a singles' matchmaking group....which was never my intent, but his words did make me very self-conscious about how to put out the word, so that I finally scrapped the idea.

I think that this is a legitimate problem that needs to be addressed by more churches out there. We do get left out of many of the church activities just because we do not have a spouse.

If there are any clergy out there reading this, please respond. Thanks.

By the way, there is a large (nondenominational, I think) church in Mt. Pleasant, which has some smaller churches in the area, called Seacoast, which I hear has a large singles community.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 10,238 times
Default Singles Ministry

I do agree. There are not many singles ministries. I started one in my church as I felt that the needs of all groups were identified except those who are single. In my opinion there is still a stigma attached to being single. If you are single and between the ages of 18-30 then you are viewed differently, more postively, however, if you are single and ages 40 and up then people kind of write you off, that you will not be married. If you are single but have a child or children then you are viewed differently from someone who is single but never had children. It really is unfair.

I do understand how you felt when the pastor said what he said. I saw nothing amiss even if you wanted it matchmaking group, which I understand you did not. I live in Barbados and we also have our challenges in this area. I still believe that churches pay lip service to providing ministry for singles, and that more needs to be done.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:46 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,761,744 times
Wow, your post could have been written by me! THere are many more of us out there, who are being ignored and made to feel invisible in their own church. After many years at the church I wrote about in my post on this thread, I just left there a few weeks ago and have started attending a church where I have found a wonderful, welcoming, nondescriminatory group of people who accept me as I am...SINGLE. I met with my former pastors again, got no satisfaction, so started visiting other churches. After the
4th or 5th week, I found one where I feel I belong and am included, regardless of my marital status. I have been to Bible Study, Sunday School, Prayer Meeting, and Church services and have not felt left out once....this church simply does not split up into couples or by family groups, etc. Everyone in the congregation is one big family and I am included in all activities. I feel so blessed to have found my niche and where I belong. I'm glad that you were able to start a singles ministry in your church and hope it is successful. How is it going....and how is it perceived by others? I would love to hear about your spiritual goals, missions, and activities. You can DM if you like.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:23 AM

397 posts, read 1,071,353 times
so - whats the name of the church you found?

Old 05-30-2009, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 18,907 times
I'm having the same problem. Let me know if you find a church group or something for single again middle agers looking for some good Christian fun and fellowship

Old 05-30-2009, 05:40 PM

394 posts, read 1,048,669 times
Saint John the Beloved Catholic Church in Summerville has an active ministry for older singles. It was started by a friend of mine and even though she has since moved away, it's carried on. I believe they do game nights, go dancing, do harbor cruises, etc. as well as some service projects maybe.

Good luck in your search!

Old 09-20-2009, 09:29 AM

2 posts, read 18,907 times
I am recently divorced, 50 years old, work part time and would like to meet Christian men and women who enjoy going to the beach, boating, ocean kayaking, traveling and going to concerts with other Christians. I am looking for a church that has Bible study or Small groups where I might a support group. Please respond if you can direct me to a good church or are interested in starting a small group /Bible study in the Chas, area.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:58 AM

66 posts, read 176,228 times
Sounds like this might be right up your alley...

Seacoast Church has many locations in the Charleston area and an active christian singles ministry, which has a new meetup.com group and several life groups for singles --> welcome to seacoast church

This is from the http://www.meetup.com/Charleston-Christian-Singles/ (broken link) site:
Who
Christian Singles 40+

WHAT
A time for fellowship, praise and relevant teaching. An encouraging place to connect, grow and share!

WHEN
6 PM -1st and 3rd Sundays

WHERE
Seacoast Church -750 Long Point Rd -MT.Pleasant - The Warehouse

Last edited by HumgBird; 09-20-2009 at 10:32 AM..

Old 08-28-2011, 09:56 PM

2 posts, read 8,640 times
I somewhat agree with what is being said here. I had a hard time trying to find a single bible group that accomodates 40+. Seacoast Church is the best choice for that I think. The problem I have though is I know a church singles group should not be a place to play matchmaker, but deep down inside I am looking for a special christian soulmate. Being a 44 man, and never been married, I am really looking for that, so I have been dissappointed in some single women who just want to socialize forever and not want a serious relationship anymore, even in a christian setting. Im a neat, clean, and stable christian man, and I don't know what the problem is. I welcome any advice you ladies can share with me in your opinion. And if you want to see who I am this is my email address. ron.dabbs@yahoo.com. Thanks for reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area