U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2011, 02:16 PM

15 posts, read 16,261 times

Advertisements

After many months lurking and daydreaming, it looks like my wife and I have got the green light to move down from NJ. We are both very active people, with two small children (2 & 4) and have been focusing our search on Mt Pleasant for proximity to the beach, Charleston, good schools and nice friendly communities.

One thing I've not seen much discussion about on these forums is the fitness community in the Charleston area. My wife is a personal trainer and nutrition counselor, and I'm just an endurance sports junky (mostly cycling and running, but plan to do more swimming once we move down.) Any tips on where to look to get in touch with these communities and in general if its a large part of life in Charleston, or will we continue to be outcasts, which I'm fine with btw. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 04:53 PM

1,195 posts, read 2,998,194 times
for the most part we are a VERY active people as a community... tons of beaches, water sports, school sports, martial arts, had our first marathon here this yr, many triathlons, bike clubs, running clubs, gyms, etc etc etc

in my household alone our kids have played nearly every sport and several martial arts... I'm a 3rd Dan WTF as well as studied in several other arts, wife's a 1st Dan, daughters a 1st Dan and played softball and soccer many years, son was almost a 1st Dan and switched arts - now doing BJJ and also played baseball many years... wife trains all the time n does tri's, did one marathon... I'm an avid outdoors man and I could go on and on and on but u get the picture...

and we are just average people in our generation here IMHO

FWIW you will find MtP to be a very fitness/sports conscious area as well, visit it and look around... visit TrySports in MtP and get the lowdown on much of the fitness in that area...

Old 01-30-2011, 07:14 PM

182 posts, read 331,355 times
I was going to mention Try Sports as well. It's a great store in Mt Pleasant (Towne Center) and not only do they have great stuff but they can give you a great lowdown.
Hubby and I are runners (more my hubby than I, but...) There's a great blog in our newspaper (The Post and Courier) by David Quick who mostly writes about running but also does some other items as well. Several stories about how Charleston is an elite running town with all it has to offer. Here's the link: Charleston Runs Blog - David Quick | The Post and Courier, Charleston SC - News, Sports, Entertainment

Old 01-31-2011, 11:44 AM

11 posts, read 18,941 times
If you want to try something a little off the wall, check out Charleston Sports and Social club. They off kickball, football, dodgeball, basket ball, softball,and maybe some other stuff.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:17 PM

120 posts, read 222,173 times
Try looking on meetup.com. I found a paddleboarding group on there last summer. I ended up attending several events, I really enjoyed it! There are probably running or biking groups on there as well though that you could join.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:34 AM

1,889 posts, read 4,819,893 times
Lots of sports going on in Mount Pleasant. Check out the Rec centers and East Shore

Old 02-01-2011, 08:32 AM

15 posts, read 16,261 times
Thanks for all the links. TrySports looks like a great store, and they run a bunch of local races which is fantastic. Really can't wait to get down there.

Funny you mentioned paddleboarding, because one of the sports I was thinking of trying is standup paddling.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:59 PM

120 posts, read 222,173 times
There are 2 groups on meetup.com in Mt Pleasant that do stand up paddleboarding. They are kind of in the "introducing the sport" stage still in this area so they have a lot of outings where you can attend and use the equipment they provide for a small rental fee. It's also a good way to try out several different kinds of boards before you buy as they come in different shapes and sizes. The boards are a bit high in price still in my opinion but I'm sure they will start to come down as it becomes more popular in this area. I love it though - you all should try it when you come down. My old boss in FL used to put a lifejacket on his little boy and have him sit on the front of the board while he paddled around.

By the way let your wife know that I have met more personal trainers in the year I have been here than anywhere else I have ever lived. I assume that is a good thing since all I have met are employed!

Old 02-04-2011, 07:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,369 times
Charleston Watersport, in Mt Pleasant is starting the free Stand Up Paddleboard demos again in March along with a race series starting on 2/26. Rental available for the race series.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:53 PM

10 posts, read 8,516 times
Does anyone know if KettleBell training is available in the area? I know cross fit offers some but I was looking for someone who is solely focused on KB Training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area