U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 05:35 PM

182 posts, read 434,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheron1 View Post
Charleston seems to be a young town 20-35. Where did you move from, what city ? Remember we don't have the volume of professional careers as a city like Charlotte, Atlanta or Chicago. Do what you like to do - go out dining in places you like - network - network. Try some of the dating on line. I lived here for 10 years before I met someone I would consider. I am not the typical 62 year old -I work, I enjoy life doing many things and love the big city life. I came from Chicago and my husband had been here 30 yrs from NY. I was divorced 25 yrs and he 10 yrs. So it can happen. Good luck.
You are correct! The lack of professional careers here makes it hard for men and women to meet quality people. That was my original point I think..you summed it up very well! Thank you for your positive post..

Old 02-21-2011, 05:53 PM
aux

40 posts, read 87,376 times
Yep, classic "Sex in the city" Syndrome. Maybe not the case here, but most of the time woman looking and so disappointed in all the worldly classy qualities men should posses but don't, lack those qualities themselves. They end up going to bars where any woman will get hit on 29 times, just to boost their low self-esteem and then come home and post on the internet for sympathy. And just maybe the guys who do have those qualities just aren't interested in you? No, that simply isn't possible is it?

Old 02-21-2011, 06:24 PM

3,180 posts, read 2,669,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Sunshine View Post
You are correct! The lack of professional careers here makes it hard for men and women to meet quality people. That was my original point I think..you summed it up very well! Thank you for your positive post..
Well you know, there are a lot of "quality" men who work hard as contractors, plumbers, electricians, etc. Perhaps you are only looking for the Mercedes and the fat bank account.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:22 PM

2,501 posts, read 6,878,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Well you know, there are a lot of "quality" men who work hard as contractors, plumbers, electricians, etc. Perhaps you are only looking for the Mercedes and the fat bank account.
I agree with you! I'm hoping that "quality" isn't the word she meant to use because that certainly insinuates that any man who isn't a professional/white collar worker, isn't of good "quality". And if that is what she meant to say, then her snobbish attitude is probably the reason she isn't meeting any guys.

Again, I'm hoping that was just a poor choice of words on the OP's part and not her true opinion.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:43 PM

7,934 posts, read 15,060,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
I agree with you! I'm hoping that "quality" isn't the word she meant to use because that certainly insinuates that any man who isn't a professional/white collar worker, isn't of good "quality". And if that is what she meant to say, then her snobbish attitude is probably the reason she isn't meeting any guys.

Again, I'm hoping that was just a poor choice of words on the OP's part and not her true opinion.

Well when I wear a collar it is usually blue and I am of exceptional quality, just ask my wife the HMW (High Maintenance Woman) for I am her Maintenance Man, I think there is a country sound in there somewhere.....

Old 02-21-2011, 11:15 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,933,497 times
A buddy of mine recently moved back to Greenville from Charleston after having lived down there for most of his 20s. His comment about Charleston compared to Greenville was if you want to date live in Charleston, if you want to get married live in Greenville. He also pointed out that being a guy in Charleston was like some dating fantasy world simply because the gender ratio is so uneven from male to female. so for the women i can see it being difficult.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:16 AM

435 posts, read 732,042 times
I hear the ratio a lot. What's the actual figure for single man/woman?

Old 02-22-2011, 11:45 AM

355 posts, read 1,319,482 times
I didn't see the OP saying that quality meant white collar. I thought it was pretty obvious that she was looking for a gentleman who was well rounded, interesting, fun, respectful, dependable, and successful at whatever his job is.

In fact, I think if you read the thread she lists what she's looking for.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:15 PM

3,383 posts, read 7,104,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Sunshine View Post
LOL did you just post that?

Old 02-22-2011, 02:29 PM

182 posts, read 434,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyGirl View Post
I didn't see the OP saying that quality meant white collar. I thought it was pretty obvious that she was looking for a gentleman who was well rounded, interesting, fun, respectful, dependable, and successful at whatever his job is.

In fact, I think if you read the thread she lists what she's looking for.

That's EXACTLY what I meant. I would certainly not judge a person by his/her profession. "Quality" meaning "well rounded, interesting, fun, respectful, dependable, and successful at whatever his (her) job is." is exactly what I meant...thank you for clearing that up OrangeCountyGirl.

I've dated "blue collar" professionals and my Dad was a contractor. I don't base a potential date on his/her profession, but more so on common interests and integrity of the person. Again, the Sex in the City tag is not applicable here...it's not about shiny Rolex's and Mercedes Benz's...it's about considerate, respectful gentlemen.

I've met alot of "skirt chasers" here but not alot of men who are looking for a relationship. It's a sad fact, but it is a recurring theme...not just from me. I work in a woman dominated field and hear the same thing day in and day out. My curiosity in posting this thread was not to start a "online diagnosis" of my dating woes in particular. The point of the thread was to get feedback from women who live here who may have experienced the same woes...and from men who can give some sort of reflection on their experiences.

Last edited by Southern Sunshine; 02-22-2011 at 03:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or