U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 09:03 PM

182 posts, read 434,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtotheocean View Post
Thank you sir!

Always happy to add some entertainment to liven up city data!

Simmer down "aux" I'm just jokin around - hence the emoticons laugh at me - I am!
I think I'll post something about World Peace next time and see if we can't get more serious about it...I mean, afterall, I was completely hoping for life changing results...from an online forum...because my tarrot card reader is out of town...and I can't really think for myself...sheese! simmer down is right! let's keep the jokes coming..this is hysterical!!

Old 02-24-2011, 09:06 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,596,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
This thread needs more e-humping. It doesn't have enough yet.

e-humping??? I've been on forums for lots of years and never heard that term before. I'm thinkin' you made that up on the spot.

All I can say to you sir is...........

Well Done!

Old 02-25-2011, 12:27 AM

3,042 posts, read 8,070,664 times
Not to be prudish, but other than bars where do you expect to meet quality men? i grew up in the south and i dont recall my grandmother ever saying that the Bar was a good place to meet a gentleman or a lady. i would think church, charity functions, family gatherings, cocktail parties at peoples homes, at activity functions, political functions and volunteering, concerts, bookstores, just as one would meet someone in any other place.

also branching out from ones social class, ethnic background, etc., like its being done all over the country in 2011

Old 02-25-2011, 05:29 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,775,782 times
If it would be *any* help whatsoever I can ask the single guys that would fit in the dateable category where they hang out on their own. Maybe the same kind of thing would apply for other similar guys. I know for sure that one gave up on the bar scene because the atmosphere there wasn't his thing anyway. I don't think they're big on coffee shops in the area, because those are pretty empty whenever I go. Most of the time when I see them everyone is out in a group as in, people who already know each other. They're really into the church they go to though.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:57 AM

I think the "bar scene" pretty much ends for most people after the age of 25. I don't go to bars! just to clear that up..most of my girl friends here don't go to bars either. I don't even drink (other than a glass of wine with my dinner or an occasional beer) so why in the world would meeting someone in a bar be appropriate?

I think you're right ScubaSteve and Carolinajack...other social events would be the key. Funny you mentioned church! I know people who go to church just to "meet people"...they could give a rip about actually "going to church". That seems a little hypocritical to me. I'm not big on church (no offense to those who are). I've met great people here through triathalon clubs, running groups, volunteering, art gallery crawls and other things. Meeting people isn't the problem, the dilemma is meeting available dates. Lots of people are married post age 35....

It would be interesting ScubaSteve to hear what your guy friends have to say. Again, this isn't a dating forum, just a discussion about dating experiences for people over 35 and the challenge a city like Charleston (with such a big "bar scene") can pose for people in general. Just a discussion so don't anybody get all bent out of shape and start hurling insults and assumptions...nobody really wants to hear all that! PS the jokes are the best part!

Old 02-25-2011, 06:58 AM

764 posts, read 1,435,520 times
...clipping coupons, grocery shopping, rubbing necking at accident scenes, helping older ladies cross Ashley Phosphate Rd during rush hour, getting 8 hours of sleep....

SS - there are those of us who also don't enjoy the bar scene (hard to get 8 hours of sleep!) but also want to meet fun, educated and active women who can hold a decent conversation on what's going on with the economy and world events...I know they exist but where?

Old 02-25-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat2MT View Post
...clipping coupons, grocery shopping, rubbing necking at accident scenes, helping older ladies cross Ashley Phosphate Rd during rush hour, getting 8 hours of sleep....

SS - there are those of us who also don't enjoy the bar scene (hard to get 8 hours of sleep!) but also want to meet fun, educated and active women who can hold a decent conversation on what's going on with the economy and world events...I know they exist but where?

I actually hadn't thought of it this way, but Flat2MT I can see where a guy who isn't a bar hopper would have the same dilemma! Great post!

Honestly, when I lived in Atlanta, Charlotte, and Greenville, I found it much easier to meet people and date, possibly (and I'm thinking because) there were far more options for entertainment other than party scenes. I'll ask the ladies some questions and see what I can find out. There has to be a better way for people of like minds to meet!

I know alot has been posted about the "online dating" option, but my experience as well as the girls here who have done it, wasn't so great. Not being negative at all but it's almost like the "online bar scene". Some of the stories I hear from girls are horrible albiet comical! I'm told that some guys have literally been on there for years. I've even heard guys joke about how easy it is to "score a hook up online" (not making that up). I think in more metropolitan areas online may be a better option, but here, I'm not hearing good reviews. I'll do some research with the ladies, find out what they're doing and see what I can find out...

Old 02-25-2011, 07:55 AM

7,934 posts, read 15,044,577 times
There are a lot of things to do here you just have to look around, Like I posted in one of the other threads, I walked through Down Town Summerville on a Tuesday night and the Accent on Wine Store was packed with people, it isn't a bar but a wine and snack food type place that has wine tastings and other things going on, like the Chocolate and Wine event on Tuesday....

We also had the SEWE event, last weekend....

The Dogmoor Stew event at Magnolia gardens, we will be there with both of my 4-legged children, is Sunday.....

Just pick up the City Paper and look at all of the things going on, or look at it online.....

Old 02-25-2011, 07:59 AM

2,525 posts, read 7,173,274 times
Take a cooking class at Charleston Cooks!, as well. There are so many social events in this city, fundraisers, charities, art galleries, etc., that you should never have to worry about hitting a bar again. Pickup the Charleston City Paper and scout out what's going on. You'll have fun, and that's the easiest way to meet someone worthwhile.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:09 AM

Excellent posts OleTomCat and DJShymansky! That's the kind of postive feedback we need here...I acutally attended SEWE Dock Dogs and had a blast. I'd forgotten about Charleston Cooks...great idea! I also started volunteering for Pet Helpers, a wonderful pet rescue organization here in Charleston. Great ideas all around...are you taking notes Flat2MT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or