U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-04-2008, 08:04 AM
 
Location: Terre Haute, In
308 posts, read 940,090 times
Reputation: 76

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl View Post
We'll be arriving in Mt Pleasant shortly too, all the way from London UK. We have two daughters, aged 14 and 10. The younger one is very laid back and is not worried about the move, having moved internationally 3 times in the past 4 years due to my husband's job but the 14 year old one is slightly nervous about starting yet another new school. I don't think she would approve me setting her up with new friends but having someone to talk to would probably help. There's the Wando group in Facebook but being the little british that she is, she'd find it very "rude and impolite" to approach people that way LOL not to mention NOT so cool.
I'm sure it'll all work out at the end and the kids will love it there.
I wouldn't hesitate to use the Facebook group... my H.S. daughter met a great group of friends through it before moving here, and they've been wonderful. Ready to show her around as soon as we arrived! I also have a 10 year old; do you know yet which school she will go to? (mine will be at Pinckney). She has met several girls her age just within our subsection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-04-2008, 09:04 AM
 
160 posts, read 481,936 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth1104 View Post
I wouldn't hesitate to use the Facebook group... my H.S. daughter met a great group of friends through it before moving here, and they've been wonderful. Ready to show her around as soon as we arrived! I also have a 10 year old; do you know yet which school she will go to? (mine will be at Pinckney). She has met several girls her age just within our subsection.
My husband is at Pinckney as we speak, asking about the necessary documents to enroll her there. We'll be in Dunes West.
How old are the kids there that attend Grade 6 and 10? It's a bit confusing changing from British to American system but I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.
My 14 year old daughter (will turn 15 in February) has just finished Year 9 with very high grades here in London and she's set that no matter what she will go to Grade 10 in the states as she doesn't want to repeat a year. I just hope that the school admin thinks the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Terre Haute, In
308 posts, read 940,090 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl View Post
My husband is at Pinckney as we speak, asking about the necessary documents to enroll her there. We'll be in Dunes West.
How old are the kids there that attend Grade 6 and 10? It's a bit confusing changing from British to American system but I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.
My 14 year old daughter (will turn 15 in February) has just finished Year 9 with very high grades here in London and she's set that no matter what she will go to Grade 10 in the states as she doesn't want to repeat a year. I just hope that the school admin thinks the same.
Pinckney goes to grade 5... grade 6 will be at Cario Middle School. I think grade 6 is if you're 11 by 8/1/08.
My older daughter just turned 16 in March (her Sophomore year). She was one of the youngest in her class, in Indiana anyway. The only thing she didn't like about being one of the youngest, was not getting her license as soon as her friends
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 09:25 AM
 
160 posts, read 481,936 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth1104 View Post
Pinckney goes to grade 5... grade 6 will be at Cario Middle School. I think grade 6 is if you're 11 by 8/1/08.
My older daughter just turned 16 in March (her Sophomore year). She was one of the youngest in her class, in Indiana anyway. The only thing she didn't like about being one of the youngest, was not getting her license as soon as her friends
Thank you! My daughter turns 11 in May 2009 so with her being my "little one" and all the moves we've had I thought it's a better idea if she goes to Grade 5 instead of 6 and be with children her own age instead of struggling with a new school and making friends etc.
Now the 14 year old is a different story...the joys of motherhood and cross-continent moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Terre Haute, In
308 posts, read 940,090 times
Reputation: 76
Yay! They'll be new 5th graders there together By the way, you'll find out from your husband today, but I didn't realize 'til I signed her up at the school they have a 'uniform'. Solid shirts (no words or designs) in red, navy, lt blue or white, and bottoms are to be navy, khaki, white or denim with no embellishments. FYI before you go shopping for back-to-school. (I had already shopped and had to start over after getting the dress code). Good luck, and WELCOME!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 10:17 AM
 
160 posts, read 481,936 times
Reputation: 58
I look forward to meeting you both. Somehow, I don't think my husband will remember to ask about the school uniform LOL so thanks for telling us. Does Wando have a uniform, too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Mt. Pleasant, SC
2,525 posts, read 7,192,608 times
Reputation: 529
I'll be sure and remind him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Terre Haute, In
308 posts, read 940,090 times
Reputation: 76
No, Wando doesn't have a uniform. I believe the back-to-school tour, pix are this week at Wando.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 10:37 AM
 
160 posts, read 481,936 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShymansky View Post
I'll be sure and remind him.
A quick public Thank You for making this move easier for us all and not only in helping us finding a house but also answering my boring endless questions and being very understanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Charleston, SC
397 posts, read 950,661 times
Reputation: 65
Nothing to be nervous about! you'll settle in and be so happy you're here it will be hard to understand that you actually live here and are not on vacation! I live in Chas National and I really like the pool, the neighborhoods, and the close proximity to getting onto 17 , etc. (as opposed to being way in the back of Dunes West, but that is just my own personal preference - there's nothing wrong with it)...and Hamlin is also great, beautiful newer homes - just gorgeous - and closer to the beach!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top