U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 05:44 AM

4 posts, read 29,978 times

Advertisements

I need feedback on the sub divisions in Mount Pleasant. Which are the best and why. We are a family moving from NY to Charleston next year. We have 4 very active children. We are looking for a place to live...nice house and a great family social environment. I have been looking into Park West, Dunes West, Ion, and Rivertowne. Please give me some advice on these areas..the schools, the social aspect and the vibe. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 09:07 PM

49 posts, read 356,580 times
I live in Charleston National Golf Community, which is almost across the street from ParkWest. Our schools are rated great(are in Park West). Park West is alot bigger but have more going on in terms of family activites. There is the Mt. Pleasant Recreation Center which you can register your children for all kinds of sports, etc. There is a division right in Park West. I have the convenience of living in a smaller subdivision, on the golf course and extremely close to grocery stores, gym, rec center, and schools!!

Old 07-23-2007, 09:33 AM

2 posts, read 52,080 times
I live in Hamlin Plantation and really love it! We have 2 children and they are sooooo happy in Hamlin- plenty of children to play with. Hamlin Plantation also has a huge swimming pool with a slide, tennis courts, workout center, volleyball court and walking trails throughout. The neighbors have welcomed us with open arms. I'd highly recommend checking it out.
Best of Luck-You're going to love this area

Old 07-23-2007, 09:07 PM

12 posts, read 63,680 times
I would say any of those subdivisions would be a good choice. I have friends that live in all of them and they are all happy. I think it is more of what type of housing/vibe you are looking for. The houses in Ion can be a bit smaller when compared with Dunes West/Charleston National but IMO they also have more character. Also, it would depend on where you'll be working. Schools aren't a problem for any of these subdivisions. The main thing would be commuting (it is hard/impossible to avoid Hwy 17 if you are living in Dunes West of Charleston Nat'l) and rush hour traffic on 17 can become almost unbearable.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:52 AM

22 posts, read 120,219 times
Talking Where to live in Mount Pleasant?

Anywhere in Mount Pleasant is a good choice, but many newcomers never see the area that is commonly referred to as Old Mount Pleasant and the Old Village. Children in this area walk or bike to the elementary and middle schools, soon to be new, the entire area is pedestrian friendly, the Charleston harbor is only minutes away, as is Pitt Street Pharmacy, where you can still get a home made milkshake and grilled cheese sandwhich.

You should check out all neighborhoods, bur certainly don't forget these areas, as well!

Old 07-25-2007, 06:37 PM

10 posts, read 53,553 times
Default Wando High school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR123 View Post
I need feedback on the sub divisions in Mount Pleasant. Which are the best and why. We are a family moving from NY to Charleston next year. We have 4 very active children. We are looking for a place to live...nice house and a great family social environment. I have been looking into Park West, Dunes West, Ion, and Rivertowne. Please give me some advice on these areas..the schools, the social aspect and the vibe. Thanks!!
Anyone on this forum that is moving to Mt Pleasant and will have a child new to Wando High school? Our son will be a junior and he is nervous.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:54 AM

12 posts, read 63,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskey03 View Post
Anyone on this forum that is moving to Mt Pleasant and will have a child new to Wando High school? Our son will be a junior and he is nervous.
I'm from Mt. Pleasant and moving to Rock Hill but my sister will be a junior at Wando this year. She's in with a nice group of kids. If your son has facebook or myspace send me a PM and I'll give you her name. Also, let him know that getting involved in an extra-curricular is a really easy way to meet people at Wando. That's how I met all of my close friends when my family moved freshman year! There are tons of clubs, sports teams, ect for people to get involved in. Good luck!

Old 07-27-2007, 11:05 AM

7 posts, read 36,068 times
Default We're relocating too with boys who'll attend Wando.

We'll be relocating soon, and have a sophomore and junior. I think I'm more nervous than they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskey03 View Post

Old 07-27-2007, 08:02 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,376,556 times
I agree with Mayor Cheryll that Old Mt. Pleasant and the Old Village section of Mt. Pleasant are two convenient locations in a great school district. You should note that because of the location of Old Mt. Pleasant and the Old Village and particularly the historic nature of the Old Village, that homes in both areas are generally a good bit higher priced (price per square foot) than homes found in the newer subdivisions such as Dunes West, Park West,Rivertowne, Hamlin Plantation and other Mt. Pleasant communities. As I have pointed out before, Mt. Pleasant has many great neighborhoods, each with their own feel and price range. Some, such as I'On and the Old Village may be out of the price range of many families. I am sure that many members of this forum would be glad to identify some of their favorites, dependent upon the size (square footage) and price range in which a member might have an interest.

Old 07-28-2007, 02:02 PM

2 posts, read 17,130 times
I live in I'on and I have to say it is an amazing neighborhood. It is all about family and community. There are all kinds of events, activities and socials on any given day. There are tons of planned activities and events for children and families, and many clubs and groups to join for all ages and interests. I'on celebrates each holiday as a community with parades, events and activities. There are many green spaces, a clubhouse, ampitheater for concerts, movies, etc. There is a village area within I'on that has some shops and dining, and a grocery store just outside the subdivision. In addition, the neighborhood is less than two miles from the bridge to downtown and 26, much closer in than the other neighborhoods and extremely convenient to all areas while avoiding the mt. pleasant traffic issues. Asthetically, I'on is stunning. The architecture and streetscapes are gorgeous.
There are many I'on residents that have relocated from the Northeast. This is true of Mount Pleasant as a whole, but there's a definite concentration within the neighborhood. I've been told it has the quaint village and community feel they were looking for. That's the upside of I'on. There is a website and monthly newsletter if you want a sample of I'on activities. Just let me know.
All of that said, Mt Pleasant is a lovely area and the other neighborhoods you are looking at are nice neighborhoods too. I am no expert so I'll let the others fill you in on those, but I do have friends in each, and outside of some traffic grievances, they have lots of good things to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area