Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2011, 03:13 PM

22 posts, read 93,028 times

Advertisements

I've seen online some cute-looking, newer 3 bed/2 bath homes in what appears to be safe, decent-looking neighborhoods in N. Charleston. However, I've only heard mediocre things about N. Charleston, but have never been there. What's the deal about N. Charleston? How would you describe it?

We're not sure if we can afford something in Mt. Pleasant, but would like to search other areas that might be comparable (but a little more affordable).

- 3 bed/2 bath
- $160-180K (at closing)
- good schools, suburbs
- built within last 10 years or older home that's more up-to-date
- 25 min or less drive from downtown

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 03:38 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,639,255 times
I have lived in N Chas for almost all of my life. (Almost 50 years) Sure,,It has its bad areas,,but overall I think its pretty good.

What part of N.Chas are you looking at?

Old 02-14-2011, 04:33 PM

22 posts, read 93,028 times
Well, we found a few places online. Have no clue what kind of area this is. Any opinions?

Charleston Park subdivision - Dorchester Rd and Trump Street
Whitehall subdivision - Dorchester Road into Whitehall
Indigo Palms subdivision - I-26 Exit 209. Ashley Phosphate Rd and Windsor Hill Blvd

Looking for safe, suburban area. Good schools. Places to walk within neighborhood to exercise. Thanks!

Old 02-14-2011, 08:30 PM

435 posts, read 835,143 times
James island or West Ashley near Bees Ferry rd. Definitely no good school unless your kids can get into Academic Magnet or Art academy or private schools...also, I-26 traffic in the morning will be painful. The neighborhoods you are looking at are pretty far away from downtown. Without traffic, I think, for me will take half an hour to get to downtown.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:14 AM

662 posts, read 1,411,017 times
Charleston Park, Indigo and Whitehall are all very nice subdivisions in the Dorchester II School District. Very conveniently located to the AFB, airport, highways and shopping. It's the lower end of N Charleston that tends to have more problems. You'll get more home for the money here rather than Mt. Pleasant.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:08 AM

177 posts, read 478,992 times
Like Capt. Rick, I have lived in North Charleston and have had no issues. North Charleston often gets more of a bad rap than it should...sure there are places you can get into trouble, but by and large the areas you are talking about are OK.

Whitehall is a well established neighborhood, most homes in there are over 10 years old, but nice. They have amenities (pool, tennis courts, playground, etc.) that you can use.

Charleston Park is new, last couple of years, but it's been awhile since I've gone through there. I think they had some walking trails. I also think the development may have slowed down due to the economy, but I don't recall. I don't know if they have any amenities.

I know nothing about Indigo Palms.

Don't leave the various subdivisions in Wescott Plantation out of your search. Wescott is on the North Charleston municipal golf course and has a pool and other amenities as well.

Also, Taylor Plantation would meet your requirements...they have nice walking trails, but I think their Homeowner's Dues are pretty high.

In all cases, the popular Dorchester District II schools are currently undergoing line changes. The new elementary lines can be seen on the website, the High School lines will be unveiled tonight at Fort Dorchester High.

**EDIT** the proposed High School lines can also be seen on the website now.

Last edited by texsoninsc; 02-15-2011 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: More info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area