Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2011, 07:58 PM

3 posts, read 7,948 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My GF and I are tired of living in Boston. Super high taxes, absurd cost of living, obnoxious people, horrible weather, etc.

I work in consulting, and would keep my current job, but work remotely; she would quit her job, and find something local (or not - the cost of living difference would more than make up for her salary).

Few questions.

1- We are rather international (she is Ukrainian, I am French/American) - will we be the only international people in Charleston? Are there foreign food markets?

2 - We are thinking of living on our 43' power boat (trawler) for a few months, until we learn the city and pick a neighborhood (we'd have a car there, too) - best marina's to live "IN" the city?

3 - We enjoy cities like NYC, Boston, Paris, London, etc - will Charleston be too "small", in your opinions (we realize there are trade offs... but does Charleston feel tiny compared to other cities)?

4 - We are in our 30's, plan to marry soon, and have kids - will we be able to make new friends there (we are VERY out going, but usually prefer intelligent company - we are not into sports or "pop" culture).

5 - I may have to fly to NYC and Europe often for work (every few weeks) - is this possible with the flights out of Charleston?

MANY thanks for all your candid opinions and suggestions!
P&A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 09:13 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,591,759 times
I don't live in the Charleston area yet, but will in a week! I am also tired of the high costs and obnoxious people in Massachusetts. My boyfriend's son goes to college in Charleston and he told me that it is a city with a small town feel. He comes from Maryland.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:57 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbasailor View Post
Hi,
My GF and I are tired of living in Boston. Super high taxes, absurd cost of living, obnoxious people, horrible weather, etc.

I work in consulting, and would keep my current job, but work remotely; she would quit her job, and find something local (or not - the cost of living difference would more than make up for her salary).

Few questions.

1- We are rather international (she is Ukrainian, I am French/American) - will we be the only international people in Charleston? Are there foreign food markets? You can find all kinds of people living downtown Charleston, we have several ethnic restaurants, but not sure you will find much in the food market unless you go to specialty shops like Whole Foods. One of our favorite Restaurants is Fast and French on Broad.....

2 - We are thinking of living on our 43' power boat (trawler) for a few months, until we learn the city and pick a neighborhood (we'd have a car there, too) - best marina's to live "IN" the city? We are a water town, there are no fewer than four marinas with live-in facilities in the immediate Charleston area, marinas charleston sc - Google Maps

3 - We enjoy cities like NYC, Boston, Paris, London, etc - will Charleston be too "small", in your opinions (we realize there are trade offs... but does Charleston feel tiny compared to other cities)? Very tiny compared to the others

4 - We are in our 30's, plan to marry soon, and have kids - will we be able to make new friends there (we are VERY out going, but usually prefer intelligent company - we are not into sports or "pop" culture). Well contrary to popular opinion not all who live in the south are ignorant uncouth slobs, as long as you don't treat people like that you should be fine.....

5 - I may have to fly to NYC and Europe often for work (every few weeks) - is this possible with the flights out of Charleston? Charleston Airport is small, but getting larger and soon to have Southwest airlines here, check out flights I believe that there is at least one that flies directly to Laguadia...

MANY thanks for all your candid opinions and suggestions!
P&A
First Charleston is Tiny compared to the other cities you mentioned, see my comments above....

Old 03-03-2011, 07:12 AM

Hi, I should modify point 4, above - we are not into sports or pop culture, but we also really don't like obnoxious snobbish people - our idea of a good time is hanging out on the boat or the beach on a warm day having some wine or cocktails and telling funny stories, talking about random things in life - not listening to people brag about their new porsche or gucci bag, etc.
And - intelligent company does not mean a Harvard or MIT education (actually we avoid going across the river into Cambridge, where those 2 schools are located) - usually a person with a "real life" education is more interesting to meet and talk to.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:13 AM

Also - after a few months living aboard, we DO plan to rent an apartment - what would be a nice area in downtown to live in?
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area