U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 07:40 PM

160 posts, read 481,168 times

Advertisements

We lived in 4 countries in 3 different continents the past 5 years and it wasn't because we chose to. It wasn't easy by any means but it was an experience. Even though our kids had to move and change schools and at times it was very hard for them, now they say that they are thankful for the chance they got to live in all those interesting places. It made them aware of different cultures, languages, people and made them more confident.
We have a daughter at Wando and even though it was very different from her last school and she felt slightly out of place, 6 months later she has made friends and feels comfortable there. As with every move, it takes time for both parents and the kids to get settled but the positive attitude helps a great deal.
Good luck with your move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 09:55 PM

399 posts, read 1,288,781 times
My son-in-law moved around a lot growing as did my brother-in-law, and his children - who are now adults. They all seem to be glad at this point in their life. I guess many reasons, more well rounded, FORCES you to meet new people make new friends, sometimes you can re-invent yourself - new group of people who haven't known you since Kindergarten... you get the idea.

My brother-in-law was also in different countries/continents - an experience his children would never have experienced - from New Zealand, Australia, South America (matter of fact my nephew graduated from High School in Brazil - can you imagine his class reunions). This was so he could advance with the auto industry and move up - but I'm sure he never thought twice about it - as his father was Military and they moved around also growing up.

Both kids are now in their 30's and doing great, one owns her own business, and they both have friends from their younger days - so I guess I can see both sides of it.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:36 PM

22,785 posts, read 12,182,899 times
Yeah many of the people I've know that have moved as children have grown up to be very well rounded individuals and appreciative of their experiences. I know I have moved a bit -- I was in fact in a different school for every grade of middle school and really didn't give it much thought until this thread.

It really depends on the individual and the family.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:55 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,062,901 times
What in the world is going on over at Wando? It's interesting to read some of the comments made about the article.

Students arrested in Wando High fights

Students arrested in Wando High fights

Police see no signs of escalating trend

By Glenn Smith (http://www.postandcourier.com/staff/glenn_smith/ - broken link)(Contact)
The Post and Courier
Tuesday, March 31, 2009

MOUNT PLEASANT A series of unrelated disputes are being blamed for a half-dozen fights and other disturbances involving Wando High School students in recent weeks, authorities said Monday.

Moderator cut: copyright issues

Last edited by Marka; 04-11-2009 at 02:36 AM..

Old 03-31-2009, 08:26 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,002,205 times
Luv, Wando's done the PC mistake that is now costing them thier reputation... they're shipping in NChas troubled kids to that school in the name of diversity, several of which were involved in this incident

Wando will go downhill now unfortunately, it was a great school...

Old 03-31-2009, 08:35 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,062,901 times
I didn't realize that is what is happening. If my child attended Wando I would be raising cane to get that changed. Maybe with these incidents it will be.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:21 PM

22,785 posts, read 12,182,899 times
How can you jump to conclusions from this article? The police at the schools say they don't see 'escalating violence'...so why would the reporter take that tone and make you all think there was. The first fight wasn't even on school property during school time...so why is it reported as a fight at Wando.

My favorite thing in the article "a loud disturbance in the hallway"....

And are you serious or are you yanking my chain..kids from middle class can be just as delinquent...especially over petty stuff. (brought up upper middle class, probably middle class now -- its hard to tell with this economy :-))))

I know of a subdivision -- upper middle class -- having problems with vandalism. They swore it was them darn poor kids coming in and ripping up the place. Cameras were installed -- it was the rich little kids with too much time on their hands.....go figure.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:06 PM

3,339 posts, read 4,309,394 times
I don't see how you can link this to kids from North Charleston. The one neighborhood actually mentioned is a Mt Pleasant neighborhood.

And rich and middle class kids can cause just as much trouble as lower-middle class and poor kids. Look at all the home grown football players that were indicted there two years ago. All the Ivy league educated thieves in finance/insurance/banking from the last few years are very unlikely to have grown up in Cabrini Green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area