U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 06:39 PM

10 posts, read 53,654 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Mount Pleasant in August. Anyone moving that will have kids new to Wando High school? My son will be a junior and is not real happy about the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 07:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,402 times
I might possibly be moving to this area. I am going to be 17 in July, and a Senior in high school. I'm not much looking forward to the move myself.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:17 AM

7,934 posts, read 15,099,099 times
Why is that Kay?

Old 03-27-2009, 03:18 PM

23,190 posts, read 12,321,513 times
What teen wants to move high schools?

Old 03-28-2009, 03:25 PM

2,501 posts, read 6,894,613 times
Middle school and high school are the hardest periods in a young person's life to move....to change friends, sports teams, towns, their niche in the school climate, possibly leaving a boy/girlfriend behind, etc. Will they survive (socially)? Probably. But it definitely isn't easy for most...where they may have had lots of friends at their last school, they may not make many at their new school. Both of my parents had to change schools several times when growing up, so they made sure that my brothers and I did not. My dad actually passed up several promotions so that we would not have to move and could stay in the same schools. I appreciate him so much for that.

It's especially hard for a teen to adjust when the family moves from one geographic section of the country to another, where there is a completely different culture to get used to. Parents need to be very sensitive to their teen's needs when making such a move and don't trivialize his/her concerns and fears about "not fitting in". It is a real deal in a teen's life.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:02 AM

58 posts, read 215,974 times
Default So true

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Middle school and high school are the hardest periods in a young person's life to move....to change friends, sports teams, towns, their niche in the school climate, possibly leaving a boy/girlfriend behind, etc. Will they survive (socially)? Probably. But it definitely isn't easy for most...where they may have had lots of friends at their last school, they may not make many at their new school. Both of my parents had to change schools several times when growing up, so they made sure that my brothers and I did not. My dad actually passed up several promotions so that we would not have to move and could stay in the same schools. I appreciate him so much for that.

It's especially hard for a teen to adjust when the family moves from one geographic section of the country to another, where there is a completely different culture to get used to. Parents need to be very sensitive to their teen's needs when making such a move and don't trivialize his/her concerns and fears about "not fitting in". It is a real deal in a teen's life.

Could not have said it better. IMHO some of the "love struck relocators" (LSR"s) are so blinded by the opportunity to reinvent themselves. That, they do not realize how difficult it is for that age group (7TH -12TH). A responsible parent should make this their # 1 concern........ I do not care if your kid is the captain of the football team or a card carrying member of the pocket protector club. There is noway to 100% insure that this is going to be what is best for them.

There is one horror story, I read here sometime ago, I'll see if I can locate it.

These are challenges that no matter were you are considering relocating, should, be first on your mind if you have kids.

I have a 7th and 11th grader. Nice, average, good kids, seem to do well fitting in and making friends. My wife and I are terrified that if we make this move, we could be asking "THEM" to handle more then they are ready for.

That said, we are moving along slowly and cautiously. Not forcing the issue. But, for now in regards to the kids. My wife and I can't see turning their world upside down because, we are cold during the winter.

We love the Low Country, we just love the kids more (sometimes). The LC is doing fine without us. When the time is right we will be back. We are hoping that the 11th grader wants to and can get into the Citadel.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:43 AM

399 posts, read 1,297,770 times
We moved our teens here last summer, one is a senior and one is a junior in HS. But it wasn't really a choice. My husband was a casualty of the American Auto Industry cut-backs, and though I'd promised our children we would NOT relocate them again til they were out of HS, life dealt us a different hand. I wanted to stay in MI and let them finish HS, but my husband was not happy being in SC without us. So after 7 months we joined him, which I feel was the right thing to do - he shouldn't have to miss those years with the kids.

BUT though it was a rocky start last fall, both of my children have adjusted just fine. Oddly enough, when we talked about moving the kids and I back to MI last fall - my son (the senior) said NO WAY. My daughter wanted to still go back - but we gave it more time, and she now seems to have "fit in" here more than in MI, and has found her niche at the high school.

Though I think we should empathize with our kids - sometimes I feel we give our children way too much say in what happens within the family, and that's not always a good thing. I'm not going to diminish the fact that it is VERY difficult on teens to relocate, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do to survive -- like paying the bills.

I pressed my kids to make friends, to join extra curricular activities- they are not athletes, but they both were in the Choir in MI - which was one of the best in the State - so they both grooved right into the advanced choir program here, and both travelled with the choir this year - my daughter's choir attending the Presidential Inauguration, and they even won 1st place at the competition.

Anyway, I hope your teen does well, just try to be there for them, listening to their frustrations, and try to put yourself in their shoes, it's all you can do.

Good luck!

Old 03-29-2009, 08:57 AM

58 posts, read 215,974 times
RJ, I apologize, your right, sometimes you have no choice. I was speaking to the parents who are seeking greener back yards for (IMHO) to reinvent themselves.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:15 PM

399 posts, read 1,297,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcevoy34 View Post
RJ, I apologize, your right, sometimes you have no choice. I was speaking to the parents who are seeking greener back yards for (IMHO) to reinvent themselves.
No need to apologize - I wasn't directing my post at you. I felt terrible uprooting my kids at this point in their life - but it is what it is. Many of our friends who were in the same situation were trying to stick it out in MI - going from management in the auto industry to painting houses - whatever they could to stay put, not only for their children, but knowing the loss they would take on their house if they had to relocate.

Unfortunately for MI - it's only getting worse - you can buy a house in Detroit for as low as $1 - YES $1. The cost of living in MI is so high, it's hard to get by - property taxes are ridiculous (welfare state); utilities are high, HOA... we didn't realize how high til we moved here.

Anyway - no need to apologize, my point was that sometimes you have to move and most kids will adjust.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:24 PM

2,501 posts, read 6,894,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcevoy34 View Post
As was I. In the case of our family....sure my dad would have advanced in the company at a faster pace and would have made much more money, but we were financially comfortable, very involved in our small town, and all of us kids were very ingrained in our school and church activities. Our dad had a choice, and he made the choice best for the good of the whole family. More opportunities came his way after we all graduated from high school and he took advantage of them then.

I understand that sometimes there is no choice where the parents' jobs are concerned....completely different scenario. But some families just move around the country on a whim, looking for the greener grass and don't take into consideration how this is affecting their children. I know such families who live here now......(I teach school) one mom, in particular, has moved her kids 3 times in 4 years to different states and says she wants to "try Florida" next year. Her kids are always going to be "the new kids" and having to make adjustments to try to fit in. Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area