Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 04:10 PM

5 posts, read 15,458 times

Advertisements

Hi. My family is considering a move to Mt. P. We've toured Wieland's Hamlin (Waverly) and Dunes West (The Harbor) new homes and are considering both.

I have been watching Weiland's website for a year and it seems that Hamlin new home sales are doing well, Dunes West not so. List prices have remained the same for about a year.

Does anyone have information on what Wieland is getting for their properties? Any realtors with offer experience who would be willing to help by providing list vs. sale price or % of list accepted?

Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 05:27 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,776,950 times
I think it is very important for a home buyer to have Realtor representation whether they are considering purchasing a new or pre-owned home. There is a good bit of information that an experienced Realtor can provide their client with regards to how various "tract builders" will handle an offer less than "list" price. John Wieland is generally less willing to come off a "list" price than some other volume builders. I feel that John Wieland offers a great product for the money and even if a buyer is paying full price for a home, they may be getting a better "deal" than by purchasing a home at a discount from many other builders. You are correct that John Wieland is selling fewer homes in Dunes West than in Hamlin Plantation. Part of the reason may be due to the higher price point of "The Harbor" homes compared to those in Waverly. There have been homes selling in both neighborhhods at less than list price, but this may be very well due to the buyer eliminating an upgrade rather than negotiating a lower price. In the past, John Wieland has cut their prices for a short period of time as a sales incentive. Nevertheless, I would view list prices of new construction from a "value" standpoint compared to the competition, rather than how much you may be able to negotiate off the list price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadatoSC View Post
Hi. My family is considering a move to Mt. P. We've toured Wieland's Hamlin (Waverly) and Dunes West (The Harbor) new homes and are considering both.

I have been watching Weiland's website for a year and it seems that Hamlin new home sales are doing well, Dunes West not so. List prices have remained the same for about a year.

Does anyone have information on what Wieland is getting for their properties? Any realtors with offer experience who would be willing to help by providing list vs. sale price or % of list accepted?

Thank you very much.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:39 PM

USC Joe,

Thank you very much for your reply. We certainly will engage a realtor when it comes time to making a final decision on the move. We definitely understand the value that someone whose sole purpose in the transaction is to represents us can bring to the negotiations. Do you have any concrete examples of upgrades Wieland has been willing to throw in and/or what % off list they have agreed to? Is there a website available to the public or to realtors of new home selling prices?

Thanks.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:21 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,776,950 times
Of the 17 new home sales in Hamlin Plantation and Dunes West by John Wieland in the past six months listed in mls, 4 sold for less than list price ($7,000 to $15,000 less)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadatoSC View Post
USC Joe,

Thank you very much for your reply. We certainly will engage a realtor when it comes time to making a final decision on the move. We definitely understand the value that someone whose sole purpose in the transaction is to represents us can bring to the negotiations. Do you have any concrete examples of upgrades Wieland has been willing to throw in and/or what % off list they have agreed to? Is there a website available to the public or to realtors of new home selling prices?

Thanks.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:45 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,018,901 times
Also bear in mind that final selling price as listed on the MLS will not indicate how willing Weiland or other builders are to negotiate/offer with regards to design center option discounts as opposed to sales price. Generally, you might find them much more willing to negotiate a certain $$ amount towards design center options, rather than base list price. That's been my experience in Hamlin. That said, they are pulling out all the stops to close out the Waverly section which is the last phase of Hamlin Plantation.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:11 PM

26 posts, read 66,111 times
I just negotiated a deal for a buyer of mine that is moving here from NY and purchasing a Weiland home and I can tell you that we were able to negotiate a great deal for him. He chose Dunes West over Hamlin due to being able to get a larger lot and the golf course community, etc. I can't give details openly as it is not closed yet, but can tell you that we also negotiated another Wieland home for a client last month and saved them a good bit of money as well. I would love to talk to you in private about it.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:54 AM

All - Thank you very much for your replies. I will follow-up when the time is right.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:54 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Wieland is the owner and developer in Hamlin -- so they focus most of their marketing efforts to that project.

Wieldand has deals frequently on their homes. It pays to keep track of these and if you happen to be bargaining with them when the deals aren't offered -- i would bet you could still bring them down to the deal price.

When negotiating with a new builder, you can negotiate all kinds of extras.......

Not sure if you need a realtor to do your bargaining for you. If you have been through the process before, have a good business sense, I think you should be able to handle the negotiations.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:02 PM

87 posts, read 183,607 times
I could not agree more, Moneill!
I personally think ANYONE that does any research can handle this pretty much themselves. It sure saves a big chunk of change out of your pocket doing it yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Wieland is the owner and developer in Hamlin -- so they focus most of their marketing efforts to that project.

Wieldand has deals frequently on their homes. It pays to keep track of these and if you happen to be bargaining with them when the deals aren't offered -- i would bet you could still bring them down to the deal price.

When negotiating with a new builder, you can negotiate all kinds of extras.......

Not sure if you need a realtor to do your bargaining for you. If you have been through the process before, have a good business sense, I think you should be able to handle the negotiations.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:31 PM

Moneill and justcollectingdust,

Thank you for your ideas on going it independently. A quick question. It was my understanding that all buyer related realtor costs would be covered by the seller (the builder). Are you indicating otherwise or do you believe that a builder would be willing to discount further if they do not have to pay commission to a buyer's agent?

Thx!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area