Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 12:07 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
No, I really understand the family heritage part. I have my grandparents wedding pictures hanging These were definitely of recent people in this day and age.

What is red-eye gravy?

Bet it is still a "family heritage" thing. LOL!

Red eye gravy...you cook off some country ham, leave the drippings in the frying pan. Toss in black coffee, preferably day old and bring it to a simmer.
Some eat it over fried eggs, some grits, some biscuits...some just eat it with a spoon out of the pan, but it is SOOOOOO good!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 12:16 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtotheocean View Post
I'm not sure that I have noticed that the door opening is any more prominent down here (although it does happen) but absolutely noticed that everyone calls me ma'am, even people I know or who are friends but grew up in the south. At first I was confused by the ma'am? (with a question mark at the end) I guess as a question if they didn't hear you or don't understand what you said? And yes I understand they are being polite but it does make me feel old....

Not really a "custom" but people are college football crazy down here! I've lived in FL (gulf coast), CO, VA & MN none of them measure up to the college sports dedication you see down here. I guess it's because there are no professional teams in SC?

OTC?
I'm a sports nut, so that is fine with me. That is the only thing I will miss when I move. Not going to Fenway in the summers will take some getting used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Bet it is still a "family heritage" thing. LOL!

Red eye gravy...you cook off some country ham, leave the drippings in the frying pan. Toss in black coffee, preferably day old and bring it to a simmer.
Some eat it over fried eggs, some grits, some biscuits...some just eat it with a spoon out of the pan, but it is SOOOOOO good!!!
Sounds.........interesting. A grit is another thing I have never had. I do know that no self repsecting southerner makes instant grits though. I watched My Cousin Vinny.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I'm a sports nut, so that is fine with me. That is the only thing I will miss when I move. Not going to Fenway in the summers will take some getting used to.

Sounds.........interesting. A grit is another thing I have never had. I do know that no self repsecting southerner makes instant grits though. I watched My Cousin Vinny.

LOL!!!
A grit!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!

GritSSSS! yummO!

I do admit, I keep a box of quaker instant cheese grits in the cabinet for those mornings I have to move quickly! LOL!

The best grits I have ever had in Charleston were at the Charleston Hilton Harbor Hotel!

Old 03-23-2011, 12:41 PM

120 posts, read 256,177 times
Quote:

Hahaha! I got a chuckle too out of the "grit" reference, as well as that you learned this in the movie My Cousin Vinny! Nice!

I'm not a sports nut but my late husband was a serious sports nut so we went to a lot of Broncos, Avs & Rockies games in Denver as we lived walking distance from where they all played. $8 rockpile tickets on a sunny day watching the Rockies play, the mountains in the background drinking beers with a bunch of friends is something I miss a lot too.

I've also had a hard time finding the Bronco's on tv down here....

Old 03-23-2011, 02:04 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
Quote:
OTC?
Miss Heather did you have a question for me?

Old 03-23-2011, 02:05 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
LOL!!!
A grit!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!

GritSSSS! yummO!

I do admit, I keep a box of quaker instant cheese grits in the cabinet for those mornings I have to move quickly! LOL!

The best grits I have ever had in Charleston were at the Charleston Hilton Harbor Hotel!
The best Grits are at the Grits Festival....

Old 03-23-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
The best Grits are at the Grits Festival....

I've never been able to go. It is on my Charleston to-do list though.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:23 PM

120 posts, read 256,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Miss Heather did you have a question for me?

Hahaha! Yes sir, your opinion on why the college sports - mostly football from what I have seen - have such a crazy following down here please?!

Old 03-23-2011, 04:36 PM

247 posts, read 498,557 times
Quote:
I'm not sure that I have noticed that the door opening is any more prominent down here (although it does happen) but absolutely noticed that everyone calls me ma'am, even people I know or who are friends but grew up in the south. At first I was confused by the ma'am? (with a question mark at the end) I guess as a question if they didn't hear you or don't understand what you said? And yes I understand they are being polite but it does make me feel old....

Another one I think is kind of cute - little kids call me Miss. Heather. I'm an accountant - not a school teacher!

Not really a "custom" but people are college football crazy down here! I've lived in FL (gulf coast), CO, VA & MN none of them measure up to the college sports dedication you see down here. I guess it's because there are no professional teams in SC?

OTC?
What part of VA did you live in? Im from VA

Old 03-23-2011, 04:52 PM

247 posts, read 498,557 times
Food- Fried chicken, Greens, Casseroles, Mud Bugs, BBQ [grilling is NOT BBQing], Grits, Brunswick stew, Gumbo, Po boys, benngnes [spelling?], ect.

Theres also different types of cuisine: Cajun, Creole, Low Country, and Appalachian.

Customs & Random: Family gatherings, Football, NASCAR, Local races, boggin, Yes ma'm & no sir, men opening the door for women, ALWAYS...Rebel flag, 4 wheelers, Hunting, Fishing, Southern Belles, Country Music, Gone With The Wind, ect.

Culture of the Southern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area