Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,216 times

Advertisements

My husband and are are really looking forward to relocating to the Charleston area (particularly Mt. Pleasant) sometime in the next 2 years, and I am just wondering what kind of issues we may encounter.

We have a one year old and I am a stay at home mom and would like to be involved in activities with her school and girl scouts, but am wondering if there is going to be some sort of discrimination due to the fact that I am from NY/CT and my husband is from NH/CT.

I am just wondering if this is a realistic issue or if I am worrying for nothing.

Also, I am visibly tattooed as well but they can be easily hidden. How are tattoos viewed in Charleston?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 02:10 PM

12,811 posts, read 18,642,076 times
You're worrying for nothing.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:41 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,629,456 times
Horrible, we don't take kindly to Yankees here.... we are still bitter about the civil war...

Honestly, I find it funny how different people think the south is. With my work we get people from the northwest US coming down and they all law and act surprised at how much different it is then they expected here.

As stated, you are worrying for nothing... Just don't ***** about how much better home is, or trying and change everything and everyone around you to be like your home and move in and enjoy the area... That last bit is for moving ANYWHERE, north, south, different country...

Last edited by MustangEater82; 03-26-2011 at 04:10 PM..

Old 03-26-2011, 02:50 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,299,719 times
SC is going to be getting a 7th Congressional District due to all of the people fleeing the north to come here, in MtP you will fit right in.....

Old 03-26-2011, 03:06 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,005,920 times
Yankees and tattoos are welcome. Come on down

Old 03-26-2011, 04:31 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,570,497 times
This is meant so very lightly so no offense intended okay?

"Bugs Bunny: What's the hassle, Schmasel?

Yosemite Sam: My orders from General Lee is to hold the Mason-Dixie line, and no Yankees are crossing it.

Bugs Bunny: General Lee? Why, the War between the States ended almost 90 years ago.

Yosemite Sam: I'm no clock watcher. "

Old 03-26-2011, 04:40 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,283,109 times
There is no need to worry at all. People are people everywhere, and there are good people and bad people in the world. It really doesn't matter where you live. I'm from the north and have been here for 1 year and I absolutely love the people and the area.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:50 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,632,175 times
,,,,,yep,,,,,MtP will be a good place for you to live. There are plenty of people that move there from the north.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:02 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,945,345 times
It's funny folks actually worry about discrimination against Yankees.

There are a ton of Northerners living in Mt.P, Charleston, North Charleston, and Summerville. Don't worry about it.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:52 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,936,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
It's funny folks actually worry about discrimination against Yankees.

There are a ton of Northerners living in Mt.P, Charleston, North Charleston, and Summerville. Don't worry about it.
Y'all would be surprised at how much draaaaaawl I encounter way up north.
Not a one of 'em asked me if we discriminate against tham though.

Nasty reb get yon otta heh?

I will admit, when you live in or near a major metro area, it's easy to keep your head low and not speak to people around you. Before I was married I had...um....relationships with two ladies (no, not at the same time sicko) who hailed from the south. They were both very open with strangers, smiled when they encountered anyone, and quite often said hello to folks they would meet in thier day to day routine. What's most interesting to me in retrospect, is that instead of them becoming harsher, and more severe with others...I became more willing to be polite, and smile, and even speak to a stranger now and then.

When I'm downtown, I make a point of smiling and saying good morning to people on the sidewalk.....and I get a tickle out of thier response. I have a feeling that when they get to the office maybe, just maybe, a smile squeeks out.

The point, I guess, is that the good stuff from southerners rubs off....not the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area