Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 03:25 PM

22 posts, read 57,153 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I want to start by saying I am so sorry for the length of this. I guess this monster post spills from a LONG time of bottling up. If you have the time to read this and have any suggestions for a quick solution to keep afloat in the way of work, I would welcome it. I could kick myself for not thinking about help from my fellow human beings sooner. If you get through this, you’ll see I have tried, tried and tried again to help myself and have obviously failed miserably.
I don’t think I’ve ever felt hopelessness before. I have just gone straight from feeling it to knowing it.
I can honestly say that by posting this, I know in my heart this is my last chance to make it.
I have been searching; endlessly it seems, for a job. I have been out of work for over a year due to a corporate merger resulting in my being laid off. Immediately, I began looking full time for a job and, unfortunately, to date have been unsuccessful.
It isn't due to lack of experience, education, lack of references or past work history because I have always taken a lot of pride when doing any job. I have only had two jobs, since graduating college, one lasting over seven years and the other over ten. Both ended with being laid off which was beyond my control. During my years in the workforce I have missed work on only two occasions. One being nine years ago when my sister was in a car accident with my, then, four year old nephew. The other was five years ago when I delivered my son. I worked until I went into labor and was back in less than three weeks.

I said all that to say I truly believe my reason for not being able to find work is due to the unemployment rate far exceeding the jobs available, which I realize the majority of you know. I am at the end of knowing where to go from here. I was online, as usual, today hoping to come across new positions open when this website crossed my mind.

I am hoping that maybe some of you might know of an opening somewhere I may have missed. I will list what I do daily:

Search the SC unemployment website and send my resume for new listings.

Search every online job site I know (I have seven that I search daily, the rest I have come across are either repeat listings from the major contenders or do not have updated jobs.)

Search both State and Federal jobs

Take two days a week on average and physically go from business to business inquiring personally if they are currently and if not asking if they will take my application.

Another two days a week, for the past couple of months, I spend hours cold calling from the phone book inquiring about openings and those are normally also the days I followup on any leads I may have had the previous week.

Those are a few of the steps I take daily while looking for what now has become my desperate obsession.

I have rarely been a fan of the word "desperate" as I've always been very much an optimistic person. However, I say it now with no doubt whatsoever.

I am deeply ashamed to spill this next part, but for a reason I feel it necessary to explain why I have come to a board full of strangers begging for a job. A month after my job ended my husband of 16 years left myself and our five year old son, without any warning. I was alone suddenly with only an unemployment check, which is 1/3 of my working salary and his income, of course, was no longer "ours". I should also say that he remembered to make it harder by emptying our savings account the day before he didn't come home. I will admit there wasn't much in there because the day I lost my job, we had an emergency house repair arise taking most of that.

The week after he left, my car broke down to the tune of $4,000. My ex said he would pay for it since he knew I had to find work and get our son to and from school. I advised the mechanic to do the repairs and a few days later, I called my husband to tell him the car was ready. He told me he thought about things and decided to move back into the house and would take our son full time for now since he was financially able to do so and I had nothing. He then told me that since he was now physically and financially taking care of our child, temporarily, that he couldn't justify paying to have my car repaired. I first called the mechanic who, although, was sympathetic said he could only give me ten days. Next call to many, many lawyers in the phone book where I mostly talked to assistants who all stated, free consult or not, it would cost more than I could fathom at the time to take this to court. I was also told by more than one firm that I was "lucky" that he was a loving father willing to take the baby and that if he was willing to not sue me for child support then it was my best interest to drop it.

I called 211 for help, legal wise, continued to call lawyers from the SC Bar listing and searched weeks online praying there were no alternatives and found none. I knew I had no grounds whatsoever to say he wasn't a wonderful father.

So, divorce is now final. We have legal shared custody on "paper" and he brings him to me often. I know from other peoples experience that this could have been much worse. He is an exceptional father and (was) an exceptional husband until that baffling Thursday when he didn't come home. P.S. He finally told me a very short while ago that he left because he met and fell in love with someone else. We were high school sweethearts, he wasn't in love with me anymore....etc, etc.

I promise I'm done now and only decided to give the painful details to emphasize my time is up.

I have two weeks left on unemployment

I live in a hotel

I have no car (please be assured though, I will find a way to report to ANY job)

I have no family where it's even remotely possible to stay (my mom and sister are it and my sister is ill. she has round the clock nurses, no insurance and my mom who is ill also, holds three positions as an RN to barely keep the household afloat. they also live quite a distance from Charleston and in an area where businesses are so far apart, it would be next to impossible for me to find any job I could walk to. there is also no public transportation.)

I have no "friends" to speak of either to stay with due to my own fault. My whole adult life was spent with the only friend I wanted; my husband and son were my life. I felt much more than content.

I have applied for government assistance as much as I didn't want to. All reps I have talked to in person and on the phone told me the same thing. It isn't permissible to claim a "hotel" as rent, so they basically see my unemployment check as disposable income. Therefore, I make way too much to any assistance although they said when my checks stop, I can get food stamps but no monetary assistance since my son isn't with me full time.

I don't see it being helpful getting food stamps when I don't even have a car to live in.

Again I am so sorry for this. It's the first and only time I've really got to express any of this.

BTW, for anyone with possible job help, my degree is in business management. My two jobs were managing a furniture store and managing an auto collections center.

Believe me when I say I will do ANY job and do it well. I have been turned down for several jobs solely on the basis of being 'overqualified" and being told it costs too much to hire someone else when I leave because the job is beneath me. No matter how much I assure that won't happen they aren't willing to accept it. Just to name a few: Verizon call center, AT&T, Direct TV, McDonald's, along with several other restaurants and retail stores. Also, positions at various hotels, mainly housekeeping.

Did I mention anything. Thank you from the bottom of heart to any kind souls that made it through this.

I am so scared that I am facing, in the very close future being homeless. Literally in two weeks the checks will stop and my "usual" arrangement of barely paying the weekly rent here will be over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 06:11 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
I have read and re-read your post and I honestly don't think there is anything I could say that hasn't been said before.

Stay positive, one thing that is in your favor is that this is the beginning of the tourist season. Spoleto will be starting soon, the Civil War anniversary activities will be kicking in, so stay positive and a door will open.

I know that when you are sitting in a hotel room alone, days and nights get long and you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, but have faith a door will open. Have you thought of going door to door at the shops and restaurants down at the Market to see if you could get something that way?

My thoughts ans prayers are with you, be sure to post back and let us know when you land something!

Old 03-29-2011, 06:29 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,761,744 times
I am always skeptical about posts like this, but my heart goes out to you if it is legit. Since you have a computer and internet access right now, try Craig's List. The Aquarium gift shop was hiring last week....not tons of money, but enough to get by on until you can get a professional job in your field. Like Chromekitty suggested, try local restaurants, gift shops, etc. With tourist season upon us, they are bound to be hiring. Since you are without a vehicle, I would try to get something within walking distance unless you can afford the bus. I wish I knew of someone hiring, but being a teacher I'm out of the job loop. Oh, you might try Fort Sumter tours....they hire in the gift shop, on the dinner cruise, and in the ticket office. Best of luck to you and my prayers are with you. Don't ever lose hope...something will turn up for you.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:35 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
Movie theatres will be hiring soon for movie season(summer starting with laborday)

Old 03-29-2011, 07:02 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,164,274 times
Dear CharlestonSCMommy,

My heart and prayers go out to you. SCBeaches beat me to the punch, definitely scan Craig's List daily. We have had tremendous success with Craig's List, everything from selling a car and artwork to both my college age daughter and myself getting jobs.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:30 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Believe me when I say I will do ANY job and do it well. I have been turned down for several jobs solely on the basis of being 'overqualified" and being told it costs too much to hire someone else when I leave because the job is beneath me. No matter how much I assure that won't happen they aren't willing to accept it. Just to name a few: Verizon call center, AT&T, Direct TV, McDonald's, along with several other restaurants and retail stores. Also, positions at various hotels, mainly housekeeping.

One simple answer to this "issue" is that in "todays" economy many are "overqualified" but are very happy to have so and so position and while overly qualified, it is not like they are being "swamped" with better offers thus they will be a loyal and dependable employee.

Many "lower wage" jobs are based on being dependable as in show up on time and be able (sober, in uniform, etc.) to "do" the job versus ones ability, so emphasize you can and will do as asked.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:32 PM

417 posts, read 432,992 times
You seem to write pretty well...do look out for online writing jobs/assignments.
You could also start an English-speaking course. There are many foreigners and students. You could help in spoken and written English for foreign workers.
You could also teach car-driving to someone that needs to learn in a less expensive way than the usual driving schools. Can you try some baby-sitting jobs? Or food delivery? Finding work at Food stalls/ restaurants. I know it s not your qualification right now. But it is worth a try.
Most importantly, have faith. Do let us know how it goes.
I think the cafeteria at MUSC was hiring.
Can you teach some lessons on the side, for students that are struggling at academics since you seem to be well-educated. There are students and colleges here. Or you may put it up on Craigslist.
What about the County Library? I know it is many different suggestions, but keep your eye out and seek a moment or two to find solace and answers within.

On the bright side, when you get out of this situation, you may even become a life coach or counsellor.
And I am sure you will.
Between, does the husband not ow the wife anything upon a divorce? I am not familiar with this, but it seems to me that he must provide you with atleast some amount to borrow because he made such a big decision so fast. And he cannot empty your savings. Maybe you could sue him still for emptying the savings all of a sudden. I think he certainly owes you some amount for having spent 16 years with you and shares some responsibility for bringing the sudden changes in your life.

Have faith, don't get into a negative spirals and know that we pray for you.
Goodluck and post back on the forum when you are back to being comfortable.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:51 PM

435 posts, read 834,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesunwater View Post
Between, does the husband not ow the wife anything upon a divorce? I am not familiar with this, but it seems to me that he must provide you with at least some amount to borrow because he made such a big decision so fast. And he cannot empty your savings. Maybe you could sue him still for emptying the savings all of a sudden. I think he certainly owes you some amount for having spent 16 years with you and shares some responsibility for bringing the sudden changes in your life.
My sympathy to the poster. As for the husband part, I think it depends on which state you are married in. In the South, the odd is against the wife. Stay positive, I still believe good things happen to good people.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:57 PM

22 posts, read 57,153 times
I just wanted to give those of you who have responded thus far a HUGE thank you for your prayers and some heartfelt ideas that I haven't thought of in my, apparently, not so sharp and overwhelmed brain.

For instance, looking at shops downtown is a wonderful idea, most importantly, because I can cover a lot of ground in a shorter period of time. Also, the idea of language instruction and/or driving instruction.

Those, of course, are just a couple of your many ideas and I will get cracking early in the morning. I know this sounds terribly like an overreaction, but the 100% truth is that reading your incredibly thought out responses to me brought tears to my eyes. "Thank you" doesn't even begin to describe what I want to express.

I almost didn't send the post for fear that I wouldn't get any response. Then, there was the thought that I might get put down due to the "Skepticism Monster". I certainly couldn't lay blame if I got that response, but I didn't want to push my depression meter more in the red if you know what I mean. I will say that I feel blessed to have my ancient laptop, which I used to complain about...HA! Little did I know that my final happy days were about to end.

Thank you all, again and again, for your ideas and your prayers. I won't soon forget that even though the days are incredibly too long now that I feel so hopeless and alone, that I might not be as alone as I think.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:02 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,761,744 times
Nope, you're never alone. God is ALWAYS with you no matter what.....and then there's all of us on city-data! ((hugs))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area