Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2007, 03:46 PM

15 posts, read 70,268 times

Advertisements

Hello! My family of 4 is planning a move to Summerville within the next year. I would like to know what types of special education programs are offerd through the public school system. My reason for wanting to know is actually because both my husband and I hold jobs in that field here in PA. My husband is a school bus driver for the local intermediate unit...that is the public school special education program for students with disabilities too difficult to be handel by just the regular special education programs within each district. There is also an early intervention Pre-K program. The intermediate units "rent" space in several schools within the districts to run their programs. This is how it is all over PA. Therefor they have seperate transportation. My husband drives for the early intervention program and I am a teachers aid with plans to finish my Special ed. degree. Can anyone direct me to where I may find information on where I should begin looking for jobs like these??? We both really love what we do and would like to continue working in this area when we move. We are planning to sell our house in PA and rent something next June (before we buy) and are quite intersted in the Dorchester II school district for our own children, but not necessarily for our jobs. Thanks for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 07:05 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,016,626 times
Have you gotten in touch with the local school districts yet to see what kind of programs they have available?

Dorchester District II
Dorchester School District Two - Home (broken link)
This districts special education page is currently being worked on. I'd contact the administrative offices.

Dorchester District 4
Dorchester School District Four - Homepage

Old 07-30-2007, 09:29 AM

66 posts, read 197,186 times
The Coastal Center (summerville) would be my first resource...

Old 08-28-2007, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,765 times
Hi, What part of PA are you in now? My family just moved here from Chester Co. I also worked in Special Ed. up there. I was an assistant than became a TSS. I am now working as an ABA therapist in the dorchester 11 schools. It is a great district for both your children and to work in special Ed. Unfortunately there are no applications online you would need to call and maybe they could send you applications in the mail.
FYI We just bought a house here, it's soo much more affordable then PA. We were planning to rent for awhile but when we realized that a morgage would be about the same as rent we chose to buy. My mom is a (great!) real estate agent here in Summerville and was a huge help to us. She can even start sending you some emails of properties to give you some idea of housing if interested. My step father also works in the district in Special Ed. so I'm sure they could both help if you need. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help... you guys will love it here I'm sure!
Michelle Z
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area