Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 01:08 PM

14 posts, read 16,919 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I've moved to the Mount Pleasant area recently, and I'm currently looking for a good vet who is affordable. Anyone with pets knows that going to the vet costs so much. I was wondering if anyone knew of a great place to go to that isn't going to charge me an arm and a leg. I have no problem with driving out into surrounding areas, as long as it's good vet care. I have 2 dogs and one is overdue on her rabies shot, so I need to get her into the vet asap. I know farm vets can be affordable, but I don't even know where to look really. I was recommended the Park West Vet, but I've heard that they aren't very cheap either. I know I'm not going to find a super cheap vet, but I can't afford an expensive one. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 02:54 PM

120 posts, read 256,086 times
Patrick Veterinary Clinic - Charleston South Carolina

I take my dogs there & really like it. They are great with my shep mix who can be a bit testy with men he doesn't know - always comfortable. What really makes them cheaper is that they do not charge an office visit fee or an initial exam fee as most vets do when you go in for the first time.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:04 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,429,009 times
We use Park West Vet and are very please with them and found their prices comparable to Pet Smart's Banfield.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:25 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,677,181 times
I copied this from the Charleston Animal Society's Facebook page: The Charleston Animal Society will be holding a Low fee Rabies/Microchip clinic on April 9th and May 7th 8am-10am The clinic will be held in the Parking lot of the shelter located at 2455 Remount Rd. North Charleston. Rabies vaccinations for your pets are only $5 and Microchips are only $20. Microchip a second pet and you get an added discount of $10. Please make sure all pets are leashed or in carriers for their safety. For more information please call 747-4849. Rabies vaccinations are required by law for the safety of your pet and our community.

A rabies vaccine should only run about $20 at a vet office, but you may have to pay an exam fee as well. This CAS deal is great if your pet needs to be chipped as well.

Last edited by roxanneself; 03-30-2011 at 07:34 PM..

Old 03-30-2011, 07:30 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,677,181 times
Obviously you'll want a regular vet too. I take my pets to Park West Vet also. Their prices are a tiny bit higher than some other vets I considered, but not enough for me to make the drive somewhere else. I have a puppy though, so right now I have to take him in more often than normal. I really like their staff at Park West Vet. I have a different opinion than the vet about a few things, and he respects my opinion instead of pushing his own beliefs on me.
Thanks, Beachme, for directing me there!

Old 03-31-2011, 06:28 AM

75 posts, read 244,557 times
I've heard wonderful things about the Dr. Patrick and his staff. I have several friends who use him and think he's the cats meow and VERY affordable. I don't use him only because I wanted a vet closer to me, so I go to Dr. Steele. I LOVE Dr. David Steele @ Advanced Animal Care in Mount Pleasant (South Morgan's Point Road). My first appointment with Dr. Steele lasted for over an hour. The entire time he was on the floor with my dog examing her and talking to me about animal health and preventative care, wellness, etc. (my dog was fine..it was just a senior wellness exam!) He's never disappointed me since (six yrs now). Every visit (and I'm the kind of person who runs to the vet if my dog sneezes....we have no human children) he spends considerable time with her. He's very much into pain management (she's arthritic), which I like (some vets cut back on that 'cause a dog can't tell you if she's in pain). So I can't say enough good, positive things about Dr. Steele. But he charges similarly like all vets do in the area, so he's not cheap. Dr. Patrick will give your pet great care at a bargain basement price, but you've got to drive to downtown Charleston in probably not the best neighborhood. Dr. Steele will give your pet great care, but at a regular price, and is located at the north end of Mount Pleasant.

Two good choices...each has their pros and cons.

Good luck!!

Old 03-31-2011, 10:09 AM

120 posts, read 256,086 times
My opinion - Patrick's vet clinic is not in a great neighborhood, but I've never felt unsafe down there when I take my dogs in on Saturday's and I have to hang outside the building while I wait to be seen because as I said my shep mix is a bit "antisocial" (probably not an area I would walk around at night though). It's the second exit when you cross the bridge from Mt. Pleasant - just a couple blocks off the bridge. I have seen all 3 vets in that office and they are all good.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:13 PM

859 posts, read 1,361,448 times
I second Dr. David Steele at Advanced Animal Care. We just started taking our animals there recently, and think he's great! The office staff is wonderful, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area