U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 08:20 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,779,617 times

Advertisements

I don't know how many other New Mexicans are around here, but here is one that's been in Charleston for 11 years and not having fresh green chiles is KILLING ME! Hatch Green Chiles ... mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Other than canned (yuk) it is almost impossible to find good, fresh green chiles. In the past we've made a vacation trip back home every year or so and taken that opportunity to buy green chile and bring them back with us. Unfortunately, we've not had the opportunity in the last two years because of the state of the economy.

Anyone have any ideas? I've even been considering GROWING MY OWN (assuming it is even possible in this climate) but based on recent trips to Home Depot and Lowes ... I don't think I'm going to be able to find any seedlings here which means ordering seeds online SOON if I can't figure SOMETHING out.

Uprooted Artesia Bulldog missing the green chile!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 10:07 AM

7,934 posts, read 15,086,895 times
Get some seeds sent to you and grow your own, then open a stand and start selling them, make a million bucks......

Most peppers grow well here, we grew a bumper crop of jalapeño and habanero peppers last year...

Old 04-14-2011, 10:38 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,779,617 times
Found some Anaheims at Wal Mart ... $2.48 a pound ...
Going to try them tonight.
But I'm thinking of going with some Big Jims or maybe NuMex 6-4s to grow.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:43 AM

Just remember to space them out and put them were the can get plenty of sun and you have to water constantly....

Old 04-15-2011, 07:57 AM

12 posts, read 20,250 times
My grandparents used to live in NM, we loved to visit them and loved those green chilis! Ahhh, Hatch. Your post made me smile. My family will be moving down to the Charleston area this summer. If you do start selling them, let me know, I'll be sure to buy some!

Old 04-15-2011, 08:38 AM

120 posts, read 222,772 times
I moved down from Colorado a little over a year ago. Green chili's & green chili sauce on my mexican food is one of the things I missed the most. In Denver there were little stands all over the side of the roads selling roasted green chili's. Yum!

I agree - grow your own & set up a little stand selling them!

If you are going to order some seeds or plants try this place - when I have ordered from them I have always been very pleased with the product. The Cook's Garden - Vegetable Seeds and Plants, Herbs, Annual Flowers and Gardening Supplies

Good luck!

Old 04-15-2011, 09:05 AM

I have three stringers full of Habeneros......

Old 04-15-2011, 07:22 PM

244 posts, read 445,000 times
Have you tried the weekend Flea Market at the Exchange Park in Ladson?

There is a farmers market there,run by Hispanics that carries many of their native vegetables, along with the usual tomatoes, eggplant etc. I'm good at identifying strange veggies, but I had NO idea what many of these were!

Prices are good...have only been there in the summer when fresh is peak, so can't comment on quality at this time of year.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:10 PM

9,038 posts, read 14,315,260 times
Have you tried Whole Foods Market?

Old 04-16-2011, 08:22 AM

2,435 posts, read 3,085,664 times
Do you mean "Whole Paycheck Market" ?

Here are your "typical" Hatch, NM area varieties, and a mail order supplier:

The Hatch Chile Store, hatch green chile from the farm to you!

And some seed suppliers:

Pepper Fool's Links for Chile Pepper Seeds Chile Pepper Recipes / Holiday Recipes / Hot and Spicy / Habanero / peppers / hot Sauce / salsa / mexican

The "stringers" are called ristra's

When we were in Charleston last fall, we could not find a typical, egg batter chili relleno anywhere....simply not offered on any menu. The best we could find was here Caliente Restaurant, but they used a Pasilla or a Poblano chili, and no egg batter.....but IMO a great relleno.

I once grew 20-30 varieties of peppers in the Ohio River Valley, a climate very similar to Charleston...you should have great success. As a last resort, check the downtown farmers Market mid to late summer.

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area