Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 07:32 PM

9 posts, read 27,916 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are currently from Philadelphia, PA and we have a family member who loves it there and wants us to move down.

My main concern would be employment. Could someone please shed some light on the employment in that area. My main question would be, do you think employment there would offer any better opportunities then up here in Philadelphia? Would you consider employment there, bad, average or growing? I would like something in the 50K-60K range. My background consists of sales, customer service and operations.

Thank you very much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 08:24 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,427,149 times
Just like most places, I would not move here unless you have a job lined up. Seems like there are some lower paying jobs around and with the summer season coming on, there are probably lots of restuarant/fast food, hotel and retail jobs out there. Permanent jobs, however just aren' t available.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:49 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,245 times
I would suggest emailing your resume to where you want to work. I moved down here from Massachusetts at the beginning of March. I was pretty surprised at how quickly I found a job, and it is not a low paying type of job. I emailed my resume, the next morning I had a call, a couple days later a phone interview, then another phone interview a week later and then they flew me down the week after that. I had an offer 5 days after my interview. I had actually interviewed at 2 places while I was here. I received quite a bit of responses from emailing my resume. I think there are jobs out there if you are willing to find them.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:37 AM

291 posts, read 547,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
I think there are jobs out there if you are willing to find them.
There are jobs. Actually, there are plenty of jobs. There are just many more people fighting for them than there once was. The pool of potential employees is quite large.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:53 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown2You View Post
There are jobs. Actually, there are plenty of jobs. There are just many more people fighting for them than there once was. The pool of potential employees is quite large.
And it is even larger when you incorperate those who are looking to move up with those that are unemployed....

Old 04-21-2011, 10:32 AM

20 posts, read 47,641 times
The job market is horrible down here from what I can tell. I work in marketing and communications for a major pharmaceutical company. Most people we have met down here either own thier own business, work for a family business, are in the MIlitary or work for Boeing.

I would look first. We also moved from Philadelphia last year and we love it.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:35 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,021 times
Watching FOX yesterday, I caught a disturbing story about the Feds trying to halt Boeing's second string of planes and forcing Boeing to set up the operation in the State of Washington with union help. Graham and Haley were filmed strongly objecting to this Federal intervention and the White House was claiming that it was an "independent agency" that enforced Labor rules and the WH had no "influence" over what that agency does. The report said Boeing has already hired 1,000 employees for its N. Charleston plant.

This is something SC needs to fight - BIG TIME. Get Congress to de-fund this puny agency and kick it to the curb. Where's DeMint on this?

Old 04-22-2011, 09:28 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Watching FOX yesterday, I caught a disturbing story about the Feds trying to halt Boeing's second string of planes and forcing Boeing to set up the operation in the State of Washington with union help. Graham and Haley were filmed strongly objecting to this Federal intervention and the White House was claiming that it was an "independent agency" that enforced Labor rules and the WH had no "influence" over what that agency does. The report said Boeing has already hired 1,000 employees for its N. Charleston plant.

This is something SC needs to fight - BIG TIME. Get Congress to de-fund this puny agency and kick it to the curb. Where's DeMint on this?
It's in the Post and Courier
Boeing lawsuit: South Carolina vs. big labor | The Post and Courier, Charleston SC - News, Sports, Entertainment

Old 04-22-2011, 09:37 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post

I started typing a long drawn out gripe post on this subject, but my heart isn't in it. If you are curious to know why all this is happening just google Christine Gregoire Boeing to see all the shenanigans this woman is up to regarding Boeing. As a former Rossi campaign volunteer I have a clear bias against her,
So if I start complaining about her I may just sound bitter, but I was embarrassed to admit to living in WA after she was elected a second term. I will say that she is desperate to keep Boeing in WA, and will do/say anything with that goal in mind.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:41 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,237 times
I know that above post isn't really relative on a charleston discussion board, but it would be horrible for the region if anything happened to the Boeing plans.....plus I haven't even unpacked from this move, so I have a personal stake. I don't wanna move again!!! I like it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area