Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2011, 11:42 AM

39 posts, read 131,877 times

Advertisements

Hello-

My husband and I have been presented with an opportunity to possibly relocate to the Charleston area for his job and we would like to get some information on the city and surrounding areas. We know many people who have visited/lived in the area and we have heard such wonderful things! We have done some online research on Summerville (this is the community we have heard the most about) and parts of Charleston, and hopefully some of you can steer in the the right direction of where to look for our new home.

We currently live in Columbus Ohio. We are in our early 30's, no children yet, but a safe family-friendly commnunity with lots of ammenities (parks, libraries, community rec center, sports complex, etc..) and good schools is important to us. We also love shopping, great dining, attending sporting events, concerts, etc. And of course, we LOVE the beach!!! Ideal home pricing would be in the low to mid 200's. We are ok with a half hour drive or so into the city and to the beaches.

Also, what is the job market like for teachers in that area? I'm working on my elementary education degree and I'd like to have an idea of how tough it would be for me to find a job there.

Any other information you would like to offer would be great. Thanks so much in advance for your help. It is appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 06:06 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,322,821 times
Read this thread:

Relocation to Charleston area

Old 04-22-2011, 07:17 AM

35 posts, read 47,949 times
Congrats fellow Ohioans on a move to Charleston! I am originally from Cleveland and love living in the Lowcountry! $200K is definitely doable. There are three major school districts here to check into -- Charleston County, Berkeley County and Dorchester District 2. There is also a more rural Dorchester District 4. I have personal knowledge of Berkeley County and Dorchester 2 and love them both! There is a bit of a budget crunch in the schools in SC, so hiring has slowed, but Berkeley is still hiring. Berkeley & Charleston have some National Blue Ribbon Schools and Dorchester has a Palmettos Finest School. For your budget, check out Summerville (beautiful, historic, kid friendly) 29485, 29483 and Goose Creek/Hanahan (close to shopping, military bases) 29445, 29410.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:17 PM

39 posts, read 131,877 times
Thanks for the information! We are planning a trip down in August to explore the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area