Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 10:15 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,956,375 times

Advertisements

What if Boeing, after all their building and investment...what if they were not allowed to actually build a single plane in South Carolina?

That is currently a true question that is being asked. The President's administration is stepping in and asking the court system to stop the building of any airplanes in SC and saying they prefer all 787s to be built in Everette, WA.

The reason is because in Everette all employees are required to join the labor union as a condition of employment. This isn't the case in South Carolina (or any other right-to-work state).

Here is a piece written by our Governor and posted in the Wall Street Journal: Nikki Haley: Obama's Silence on Boeing Is Unacceptable - WSJ.com

It isn't likely Boeing production will be stopped, but what a bunch of arrogant asses we have in Washington (that would be DC not WA). Didn't the current Chief Exec carry Charleston County in 2008?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 11:36 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,940,034 times
Interesting question. The wife has had difficulty getting a response from employers, let alone an interview. I have no doubt that situation would become more challenging than it currently is. I have been looking to the influx of employed residents to bolster my self employment opportunities. If Boeing goes away a lot of the small service business folks who are considering Charleston as an opportunity, will move on.

What's worse than that I'll have to keep my crappy old I/O boat, instead of a new one with one of those 75K shiny outboards on it

Old 04-29-2011, 12:29 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversides View Post
Interesting question. The wife has had difficulty getting a response from employers, let alone an interview. I have no doubt that situation would become more challenging than it currently is. I have been looking to the influx of employed residents to bolster my self employment opportunities. If Boeing goes away a lot of the small service business folks who are considering Charleston as an opportunity, will move on.

What's worse than that I'll have to keep my crappy old I/O boat, instead of a new one with one of those 75K shiny outboards on it
BAhahahahahahah....

Old 04-29-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversides View Post
LOL

Old 04-29-2011, 01:58 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
It's a violation of Federal law to move jobs to avoid a union contract. Boeing knew this was coming.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:16 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
It's a violation of Federal law to move jobs to avoid a union contract. Boeing knew this was coming.
They didn't move jobs, they added jobs here and in Wa........

No federal law was violated...

Old 04-29-2011, 04:44 PM

435 posts, read 834,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
What if Boeing, after all their building and investment...what if they were not allowed to actually build a single plane in South Carolina?

That is currently a true question that is being asked. The President's administration is stepping in and asking the court system to stop the building of any airplanes in SC and saying they prefer all 787s to be built in Everette, WA.

The reason is because in Everette all employees are required to join the labor union as a condition of employment. This isn't the case in South Carolina (or any other right-to-work state).

Here is a piece written by our Governor and posted in the Wall Street Journal: Nikki Haley: Obama's Silence on Boeing Is Unacceptable - WSJ.com

It isn't likely Boeing production will be stopped, but what a bunch of arrogant asses we have in Washington (that would be DC not WA). Didn't the current Chief Exec carry Charleston County in 2008?
President's administration? Court and judges are not administration based, if you violate the law, you will pay. If Boeing didn't, then it has nothing to fear. Btw, the hold up currently in Boeing here is not the lawsuit..., it has some internal problems with the cough work cough force (at least rumor has it)...Just watch when Boeing actually have to move some senior employees here and given them union protection to help start up the assembly-lines.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:58 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
If Boeing did nothing wrong then there is no problem right?

Old 04-29-2011, 08:01 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Doesn't our Governor cite 'right to work' (implication of no unions) being one of the main reasons businesses should come to SC. Maybe she should think of other advantages <G>.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:36 AM

Maybe I should go back and read through the articles...somehow I missed the part about Boeing doing anything wrong.

JimmyCH, did anyone say that courts and judges were part of this, or any, Presidential Administration? Don't try to be so smart that you forget to read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area