U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2007, 07:51 AM

3 posts, read 9,431 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping someone will reply to this as I've already posted on two other Charleston forums with no replies. I am interested in moving to the Charleston area, probably Summerville or West Ashely. I currently do a home preschool with a learning curiculum in the N. Va. area which I have done for almost twenty yrs.
I'm wondering what the situation is as far as licensing and pay level for in home providers there. Here you may have five children in care without licensing or regulation. I know the prices here are higer, about $120. a week for fulltime care, but my housing costs would be lower so I'm not overly concerned about that. I'd like to know if there is a need in the areas I've mentioned for quality childcare and if there is a lot of red tape involved in getting started.
Please someone answer it would be much appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 11:22 AM

2,525 posts, read 7,179,002 times
I think there's always going to be a need for qualified childcare, no matter where you are. As to expected pay, I can't help you.

However, in regards to licensing and regulations, your best bet is to contact the local DSS board. Here's the contact info for them.

Good luck!

Region III – Allendale, Beaufort, Berkeley, Calhoun, Charleston, Colleton, Dorchester, Hampton, Jasper, Orangeburg
3346 Rivers Avenue, Suite D-1
North Charleston, SC 29405
(843) 953-9780 or (800) 260-0211 Fax (843) 953-9787
Bob Howard, Supervisor

Old 08-02-2007, 02:57 PM

3 posts, read 22,388 times
Smile day care in Chucktown

You can go on the web for Charleston, SC & find out what u need to know about the area. There's an Air force base & a Naval base in Charleston & Goose Creek which is good because the base day care center can't keep up with the population. good luck

Old 08-02-2007, 03:59 PM

2,501 posts, read 6,878,422 times
I know I have friends on James Island who have trouble finding good day care. There are 2 home day care facilities that I know of on J.I. where the limit is 5 children, but I think it differs if there are infants involved. I know there is a need...you just need to establish trust and gain a good reputation. If you can get a few teachers' kids, the word spreads like wildfire! The 2 home day cares I mentioned have at least a year's waiting list and are used primarily by teachers.
Good luck!

Old 05-17-2015, 12:59 AM

329 posts, read 295,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeaker View Post
I'm hoping someone will reply to this as I've already posted on two other Charleston forums with no replies. I am interested in moving to the Charleston area, probably Summerville or West Ashely. I currently do a home preschool with a learning curiculum in the N. Va. area which I have done for almost twenty yrs.
I'm wondering what the situation is as far as licensing and pay level for in home providers there. Here you may have five children in care without licensing or regulation. I know the prices here are higer, about $120. a week for fulltime care, but my housing costs would be lower so I'm not overly concerned about that. I'd like to know if there is a need in the areas I've mentioned for quality childcare and if there is a lot of red tape involved in getting started.
Please someone answer it would be much appreciated.
Hello
Are you still around in the area?

Old 05-17-2015, 05:48 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,791,258 times
The kids referenced in the oiginal post would now be in high school...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or