Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 11:20 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meks View Post
NChuck has its nice areas but drive around it... especially at night...

as you drive in and out of those nice areas you will notice a sharp contrast
This is a load of melarky from someone that probably doesn't come up this way much less live here in N. Charleston.

There are a LOT more nice, friendly, well designed and occupied N. Charleston neighborhoods than there are "run-down, high crime areas".

The problem is where they drew the line between Charleston and North Charleston.

As it stands, that live runs right threw the more 'industrial' border between the two cities.

As such, the exact same trend in that area for North Charleston applies to and can be said about Charleston.

Ignorance breeds ignorance and the quoted is a prime example.

When you paint with that wide a brush, you tend to make those kind of statements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 02:48 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
This is a load of melarky from someone that probably doesn't come up this way much less live here in N. Charleston.

There are a LOT more nice, friendly, well designed and occupied N. Charleston neighborhoods than there are "run-down, high crime areas".

The problem is where they drew the line between Charleston and North Charleston.

As it stands, that live runs right threw the more 'industrial' border between the two cities.

As such, the exact same trend in that area for North Charleston applies to and can be said about Charleston.

When you paint with that wide a brush, you tend to make those kind of statements.
you should ask how I know that before ass u me ing anything about me or anyone else commenting

I've lived in N.Chuck several times, am a lowcountry native, do and have worked in several different areas in NChuck for the last 35 years... my statement comes with real life experience, not from something I heard from someone else etc etc...

and about your "draw the line" theory, I don't think Ashley Phosphate near Dorchester Rd is anywhere near the Chas/NChas line and it's had some of the highest crime/murder rates over the last 10 yrs than anywhere else in the lowcountry... as has many places in the Ladson area of NChas... then we go over to the area you referred to and see even more areas no one wants to live except thugs n dope dealers...

Old 05-07-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meks View Post
you should ask how I know that before ass u me ing anything about me or anyone else commenting

I've lived in N.Chuck several times, am a lowcountry native, do and have worked in several different areas in NChuck for the last 35 years... my statement comes with real life experience, not from something I heard from someone else etc etc...

and about your "draw the line" theory, I don't think Ashley Phosphate near Dorchester Rd is anywhere near the Chas/NChas line and it's had some of the highest crime/murder rates over the last 10 yrs than anywhere else in the lowcountry... as has many places in the Ladson area of NChas... then we go over to the area you referred to and see even more areas no one wants to live except thugs n dope dealers...
Really?

Odd since I live in that very Dorchester Dist 2 area of North Charleston you speak of, have lived here for the past 10 years and have had NO experience with anything you suggest. ZERO. And I'm pretty sure I'd know if there were a MURDER in this area or if the crime rate was as high as you insinuate.

You LIVED in N. Charleston .. you don't anymore .. but you continue to perpetuate this misrepresentation of facts.

My point was not necessarily that you've never lived in North Charleston. My point is that most people that perpetuate that misgiving do so because someone like you says they things you say in the quoted post.

You may very well have lived up here at some point. But you don't any longer and yet you are perpetuating false statements and ideas. Congratulations.

For some perspective ... Mt. Pleasant battles surge in robberies ... from a few years ago .. but it give some perspective on the crime situation in the greater Charleston Metro Area.

LOL ... did a little snooping on your post history ...
To quote you ... "most of the murders here are black on black drug crimes" .. lol
Wide brush indeed. I guess all of North Charleston must be a thug occupied drug war.
No wonder we have some of the best teachers, graduation rates and overall education systems around.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:02 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,165,237 times
Quote:
No wonder we have some of the best teachers, graduation rates and overall education systems around.
Let me guess. You have a child in IB in N. Charleston HS.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:10 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times
IMO I would chat with Capt. Rick....

Old 05-07-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Let me guess. You have a child in IB in N. Charleston HS.
Forgive MY ignorance .. what is "IB"?

And NO .. I do not have a child attending North Charleston High School.

Last edited by bulldogrsp61; 05-07-2011 at 04:33 PM..

Old 05-07-2011, 09:20 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,677,767 times
Quote:

It's been stated repeatedly that there are nice areas of North Charleston, but still your panties seem to be all bunched up.

Let's take opinions out of the mix for a moment and just look at numbers.....

Starting from the top, population wise:

Charleston:
Population 115638
Instances of violent crime reported: 595

North Charleston:
Population 97601
Instances of violent crime reported: 993

Mount Pleasant
Population 66418
Instances of violent crime reported: 139

Summerville
Population 45239
Instances of violent crime reported: 137

I can do the math and tell you what percentages those work out to be, if you need me to, but it's clear that the highest percentage of violent crimes occur in North Charleston, regardless of what you have personally experienced. The original poster asked why North Charleston gets such a bad rap, and my short answer is because subjectively speaking, it's the most dangerous of the larger cities to live in.

Stats came from City-data from 2009, so maybe there have been sweeping changes since that time. I doubt it.
I included murder, rape, robbery and assault in my totals of violent crimes, but the stats for all crimes committed are also available.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:26 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,763,641 times
[quote=bulldogrsp61;19058066]Forgive MY ignorance .. what is "IB"?

IB means International Baccalaureate Studies/Program.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:38 AM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,118 times
Quote:
Really?

Odd since I live in that very Dorchester Dist 2 area of North Charleston you speak of, have lived here for the past 10 years and have had NO experience with anything you suggest. ZERO. And I'm pretty sure I'd know if there were a MURDER in this area or if the crime rate was as high as you insinuate.
with all due respect, you need to get outside more often... lol

I guess you either forgot or weren't there back when people were getting shot or killed on a weekly basis, sometimes more often, in the windsor hill area about 7/8 yrs ago? things slowed down and have nearly halted these last few years, kudo's to NCPD but we've seen this cycle many times over the last 20 yrs... as NCPD cleans it up and leaves it all comes creeping back in... it's past due now...

look up the stats for the last 15 yrs and they speak for themselves, or call NCPD or CCSO and ask them for records on the area... your eyes will definitely be opened if u believe anything you post here

Quote:
You LIVED in N. Charleston .. you don't anymore .. but you continue to perpetuate this misrepresentation of facts.
now that makes no sense, I don't live in China... lol

Quote:
LOL ... did a little snooping on your post history ...
To quote you ... "most of the murders here are black on black drug crimes" .. lol
Wide brush indeed. I guess all of North Charleston must be a thug occupied drug war.
wide brush? you're either attempting to play the race card or are going off the cliff with what I stated... it's no big secret anymore that blacks have killed more blacks over drugs in the last decade than any other group by an extremely ridiculously large majority... people are far beyond trying to use the race card to cover it up and have been trying to find a real solution... which it seems someone has started too because either the news stopped reporting or their murders against each other over dope have dramatically decreased, and I pray it's the later... do a search on black on black murders/crime over the last 10 yrs, it's been like a war all it's own... I'd hate to see the real numbers of how many young black males have been killed by other young black males across this country over dope in the last decade, it was nearly nightly news here and most other cities across the nation year after year... people had to talk about it, admit it so they could find a solution... the trend seems to have slowed here in the lowcountry dramatically

back to some of the good neighborhoods in NChuck near the area, but not in that I was referring too...

Once you cross Dorchester Rd away from Ashley Phosphate good neighborhoods start, as well as further down Dorchester Rd on both sides heading to Summerville... and there are even some areas on Ashley Phosphate that are turning around, legit immigrants are moving in and transforming several neighborhoods into decent areas again

I think Sumney and the NCPD have done wonders with NC these last few years and there is a lot of hope for areas people nearly gave up on, but u do need to be careful IMHO where you land if you move in NChuck...

and yeaa CaptRick lives in a great area, as stated many times there are many great areas in NChuck... but many bad too, we're just trying to help people avoid many of those

Old 05-08-2011, 06:59 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,639,255 times
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks ChromeKitty,,,but I'm staying out of this one. Ha-Ha-Ha I dont like to argue.

I live in a very old neighborhood that's quiet with very little crime, if any at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area