U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 06:10 AM

24 posts, read 57,515 times

Advertisements

If you live in Mount Pleasant but work in the north area - good news is you would be going against the traffic - i.e user friendly as opposed to "going with the traffic". Makes a big difference in commute time. 3 middle schools in Mount Pleasant - Moultrie, Cario and Laing. Go to South Carolina Department of Education for school report cards - Charleston County district. Each school is rated separately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 09:12 AM

11 posts, read 22,972 times
If one reviews the South Carolina Department of Education school report card site one quickly realizes that the academic standing of a school is a function of a single factor: The percentage of black students in the particular school. I just reviewed the Pact scores (whatever that is) for Charleston district schools and in almost EVERY instance the % of black students meeting the minumim standard in all grades and almost all subjects, is 15 to 40% less than for white students.
This strange fact leads to the obvious conclusion that the simplest way to judge the academic standing of a particular school is simply to determine the % of blacks in the school: the lower the better.
Not a very PC result but facts are facts.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:06 AM

7,934 posts, read 15,062,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan33 View Post
If one reviews the South Carolina Department of Education school report card site one quickly realizes that the academic standing of a school is a function of a single factor: The percentage of black students in the particular school. I just reviewed the Pact scores (whatever that is) for Charleston district schools and in almost EVERY instance the % of black students meeting the minumim standard in all grades and almost all subjects, is 15 to 40% less than for white students.
This strange fact leads to the obvious conclusion that the simplest way to judge the academic standing of a particular school is simply to determine the % of blacks in the school: the lower the better.
Not a very PC result but facts are facts.
That sounds like something I would say.......

Old 02-10-2013, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,112 times
Default thinking of moving

are thinking are thinking of moving to South Carolina looking for the warmer climate but we would like a very good school district of course for a kids cuz that is most important but we do not make a ton of money we are looking for an area with a right around 130,000 dollar for a good home I prefer before bedrooms in a race 2 and a half mast and preferably good neighborhoods if anybody has any idea what county still lookin would love to for anybody to tell me about that even a phone number for the visitor center for me to call thank you very much

Old 02-10-2013, 11:21 AM

3,518 posts, read 4,388,738 times
Interesting. So basically Summerville Dorc 2 is the best for schools, but Mt. P is the best spot for children's activities and rec (summing up what is discussed in many other threads). So essentially, the recommendation for us with our 2 year old is move to Mt. P until school age, then live in Summerville.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:05 PM

3,140 posts, read 4,952,927 times
Not at all Rory. The school district where Summerville is located has good scores...the district as a whole. MtPleasant is in the Charleston district which doesn't receive high marks...but the schools in MtP are among the best in the state. So no...I would not say you would need to move in order for your child to attend great schools...quite the contrary.

Jyd...that was painful to read. Auto spell on a phone is a good idea ONLY if you read what you're actually typing. Periods every now and then are good too. LoL

Old 02-10-2013, 01:09 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,253,790 times
I think this constant reference to the school district performances is about as misleading as sharing county wide crime stats when someone is asking about a specific neighborhood. The districts out here are huge, so the overall school district stats are essentially meaningless, no matter what posters on this board want you to believe. For example, even though you will hear continuously that Dorchester 2 has the best schools none of their three high schools have attained a national ranking. Three schools in the immediate area have...all three are in the dreaded Charleston county school district. Now I'm not saying that the schools in Dorchester 2 aren't good schools, because they are, only that some posters have a significant axe to grind, so you really want to do your own research.

This listing only refers to nationally ranked high schools, but all the information you need is available on the internet, preferably from less biased sources.
US News Best High Schools

I do agree with the poster who stated that test scores alone shouldn't be your deciding factor. For us, we looked at the level of education attained by the teachers, class size, number of AP classes offered, number of students who TOOK their SAT exams, programs offered, and yes, test scores.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:11 PM

7,934 posts, read 15,062,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Not at all Rory. The school district where Summerville is located has good scores...the district as a whole. MtPleasant is in the Charleston district which doesn't receive high marks...but the schools in MtP are among the best in the state. So no...I would not say you would need to move in order for your child to attend great schools...quite the contrary.

Jyd...that was painful to read. Auto spell on a phone is a good idea ONLY if you read what you're actually typing. Periods every now and then are good too. LoL

On this we agree....

Old 02-10-2013, 06:03 PM

10,644 posts, read 9,009,064 times
Sigh - I get so tired of the passive aggressiveness about schools on here. Here's the thing. If you're looking at standard public school (e.g. not charter, etc), Mt Pleasant schools are the single best performing in the area, bar none. In fact, I think the argument could be made they are the best performing in the state. Other schools are good too but I feel like so many of the Mt Pleasant residents on here try not to 'offend' anyone and downplay the excellence of the school system here. It's not just the proximity to the beach that caused our high real estate prices; it's the schools. After all, if it were proximity to the beach, James Island, Johns Island, etc would be equally high priced and they're not.

Sorry for being so blunt but I just am a little tired of the subtle, and at times not so subtle, insults towards Mt P.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:37 PM

3,140 posts, read 4,952,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Sigh - I get so tired of the passive aggressiveness about schools on here. Here's the thing. If you're looking at standard public school (e.g. not charter, etc), Mt Pleasant schools are the single best performing in the area, bar none. In fact, I think the argument could be made they are the best performing in the state. Other schools are good too but I feel like so many of the Mt Pleasant residents on here try not to 'offend' anyone and downplay the excellence of the school system here. It's not just the proximity to the beach that caused our high real estate prices; it's the schools. After all, if it were proximity to the beach, James Island, Johns Island, etc would be equally high priced and they're not.

Sorry for being so blunt but I just am a little tired of the subtle, and at times not so subtle, insults towards Mt P.
I just randomly rep'd 10 people on the Alaska board so I could give you rep again! LoL

You are so right in the point you are making. The high school in MtP is excellent...even with astronomical enrollment numbers.

And yes, folks from MtP do try not to say too many negative things about other areas so as not to live up to the "MtPretentious" reputation (which is just a made up name to make non-residents feel better). As usual it is folks from other areas that degrade MtP...not the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area