U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 07:58 PM

7,934 posts, read 15,037,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
I just randomly rep'd 10 people on the Alaska board so I could give you rep again! LoL

You are so right in the point you are making. The high school in MtP is excellent...even with astronomical enrollment numbers.

And yes, folks from MtP do try not to say too many negative things about other areas so as not to live up to the "MtPretentious" reputation (which is just a made up name to make non-residents feel better). As usual it is folks from other areas that degrade MtP...not the other way around.
That was pretty Pretentious there....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 08:23 PM

3,140 posts, read 4,940,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Meaning absolutely no disrespect, OTC...the point you are attempting to make does not match the definition of the word you are using.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Meaning absolutely no disrespect, OTC...the point you are attempting to make does not match the definition of the word you are using.
Matches the definition just fine: b : expressive of affected, unwarranted, or exaggerated importance, worth, or stature..

Old 02-11-2013, 09:16 AM

LOL...at least you got the definition right.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:30 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,248,903 times
Quote:
And yes, folks from MtP do try not to say too many negative things about other areas so as not to live up to the "MtPretentious" reputation (which is just a made up name to make non-residents feel better). As usual it is folks from other areas that degrade MtP...not the other way around.
Quote:
And that right there highlights the problem. If you are in MP you can't say ANYTHING to defend your city without someone holding up a mirror in your face and calling you pretentious. Do we think we live in the best city in the area? Duh! It would be pretty stupid to have chosen the higher mortgage rates and insurance costs if we didn't.
I would hope that everyone feels the same about the cities they chose, but I don't spend my time making assumptions about why they made that choice.
If the constant put downs AREN'T about "making non-residents feel better" then I am more than happy to hear what they ARE about.
Otherwise let me be the first to hand you a mirror.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
LOL...at least you got the definition right.
It is pretty pretentious of you to think that I wouldn't....

Old 02-11-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
And that right there highlights the problem. If you are in MP you can't say ANYTHING to defend your city without someone holding up a mirror in your face and calling you pretentious. Do we think we live in the best city in the area? Duh! It would be pretty stupid to have chosen the higher mortgage rates and insurance costs if we didn't.
I would hope that everyone feels the same about the cities they chose, but I don't spend my time making assumptions about why they made that choice.
If the constant put downs AREN'T about "making non-residents feel better" then I am more than happy to hear what they ARE about.
Otherwise let me be the first to hand you a mirror.
I don't put down MtP, I do laugh at how people who live there get very upset when people do though.

In my quote above I was just pointing out that Cape was doing the exact thing that he said he wasn't, that is being Pretentious, sorry if the facts support my point and that hurts someone's feelings...

Old 02-11-2013, 09:42 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,248,903 times
Quote:
I don't put down MtP, I do laugh at how people who live there get very upset when people do though.

Glad I'm wearing my wellies today.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:07 AM

Roxanne I have rep'd 40 people trying to rep you, but the system won't let me. Sorry.

Hope those aren't good wellies you're wearing. You may not be able to wipe off what's getting slung in here today.

OTC...when I say that folks like to talk bad about MtP to make themselves feel better it isn't being pretentious. It could be said that making such a statement as I did is being assumptive as to the actual consideration they give their words. In other words, I only assume to know why folks make degrading statements about the town I choose to live in.

The definition of pretentious has no more association to my statement as it does to the color of your truck. You can say it does until your entire head turns blue, but it doesn't. Just because you know the definition of a word, any word, doesn't mean you can use it properly in any sentence you choose w/o regard to the actual meaning of said definition.

We are way off topic here...so why don't I just back out completely and declare you the winner.

Last edited by cape_fisherman; 02-11-2013 at 10:28 AM..

Old 02-11-2013, 11:50 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,771,722 times
EDITED
NVM .. looks like Yac is cleaning the thread out already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area