U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 08:48 AM

21 posts, read 41,359 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are retiring the end of this year (from Southern MD) and are actively considering relocation to SC. Our target locations are Greenville, Summerville/Ladson and Beaufort. From what I've seen electronically of Summerville, your little (but growing) town is extremely charming abundant in eye pleasing landscapes and location to Charleston and the ocean.
My wife and I have a very active lifestyle, including: Love biking and walking on our 13 mile Rail Trail, my passion is tennis, we love theater (live arts and movies), fine dining (but will miss our MD blue crab), water aerobics at our local college indoor pool, continuing our education at technical or liberal arts college, enthusiastic wine lovers, touring VA wineries as another passion we both enjoy, international travel and visiting/entertaining family in/from Michigan. We love the ocean but living 3-hours from it with current gas prices and traffic is becoming a major concern, thus we targeted Summerville and Beaufort. Can anyone help us make a solid decision? I know ultimately we have to see for ourselves the beauty and not so beautiful things about this gorgeous State and these locations and we are visiting Greenville in two weeks with aspirations to hop over to Summerville as well. Thanks to City-Data I/we get a plethera of good vibes from your refreshing Southern hospitality and its one of the major reasons we're leaving the DC Metro area. Any help would be greatly appreciated. In the end, I hope we'll fit in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 09:58 AM

7,934 posts, read 14,731,427 times
Ok, blue crabs are abundant down here you won't miss them......

There is a wine store in DT Summerville, that is new and pretty good.....

We have three Y's in the Summerville Area one I know has an indoor pool....

We have the Saw Mill Branch trail, also 13 miles long, that runs from DT Summerville to Dorchester Rd.....

We have several public tennis courts in and around Summerville.....

If you have any specific questions just ask............

Old 06-07-2011, 11:03 AM

Thanks for the great info! Great news about blue crab...warm waters and inland rivers spells good crabs...daaah. I'm have that ole senior moment...again. Of course you have blue crab down there. Equally happy to hear about the Saw Mill trail.

The last major huricane to hit your area was Hugo and it tore Charleston up. How did Summerville fare? I'm sure you can't live on the coast and not be concerned with these events.

Since your climate is so mild, does the low county have flowering plants year around? How are the hospitals in the Summerville area or do most locals trek into Charleston? Are the outdoor concerts in Summerville? Comparatively what is it like living in Summerville vs Beaufort?

Old 06-07-2011, 11:53 AM

7,934 posts, read 14,731,427 times
Hugo tore up SC all the way up to Greenville/Spartanburg and NC into Charolette.......

Yes flower shrubs and plants year round, pansies can actually last all winter....

Old 06-08-2011, 08:02 AM

660 posts, read 1,168,151 times
Summerville is beautiful and a wonderful place to live. Sounds to me like you may be interested in looking at The Ponds. It's a subdivision off Hwy 17A that has outdoor concerts, miles of walking/biking trails and a YMCA. Summerville has a very reputable Medical Center and Trident Hospital is very nearby. There is an awesome wine store called Total Wine 20-25 minutes away in West Ashley. Great shopping, restaurants, colleges, etc. are all a very short distance away. Be sure to stop by the Welcome Center on Main Street. There you can pick up maps and tons of local information. I go there to put together relocation packages. Enjoy your visit, and yes, you would absolutely fit in!

Old 06-08-2011, 10:47 AM

Thanks again. Have a great day!

Old 06-08-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lisat View Post
Summerville is beautiful and a wonderful place to live. Sounds to me like you may be interested in looking at The Ponds. It's a subdivision off Hwy 17A that has outdoor concerts, miles of walking/biking trails and a YMCA. Summerville has a very reputable Medical Center and Trident Hospital is very nearby. There is an awesome wine store called Total Wine 20-25 minutes away in West Ashley. Great shopping, restaurants, colleges, etc. are all a very short distance away. Be sure to stop by the Welcome Center on Main Street. There you can pick up maps and tons of local information. I go there to put together relocation packages. Enjoy your visit, and yes, you would absolutely fit in!
Thanks for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area