U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 09:21 AM

3 posts, read 3,105 times

Advertisements

My family and I are planning a trip to Charleston next week on our quest to find a coastal community that is just right for us to relocate to. We live in Minnesota and are in love with the coast - always have been and the time feels right to start thinking about this more seriously.

My husband is in IT and there seems to be a fair amount of options for him to explore in Charleston. I'm a stay at home mom and for now, we just want to get out there and see if its a fit for our family (2 and 10 year old boys).

I've been checking out these posts and getting very excited about our trip. Wondering if anyone can give me some ideas on what areas to look at for extended stay type hotels. I'm a little anxious traveling with the 2 year old - we haven't traveled with him often and he's, well.... 2.

Also, are there some things that you'd recommend that we HAVE to see/do while we're there to get a feel for it?

I've been looking in the Mt Pleasant area, but Summerville also looks nice (via Google maps). Our budget is $250-$300k. We're looking for a 4 bedroom+, quiet street, family-centered neighborhood with kids for our kids to play with, good schools, being close to a park and pool and not too far from the beach. With all of this in mind, of course, we have no idea where my husband would work, so for now we just want to get some ideas on areas, neighborhoods, meet some people, experience the area and have fun! The kids and I will stay for about 2 weeks.

I'd love to hear your feedback!
(And yes, I realize my screen name is retarded - that is just not a talent of mine )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 10:37 AM

8,220 posts, read 11,298,429 times
Be sure that you have a job before you move and I can tell you that IT jobs are few and far between in Charleston. The market just isn't there.

There are so many wonderful things to do in the area. You definitely want to do some of the touristy things, head to the beach and take in the local food. Tons of threads here about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area