Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 08:52 AM

14 posts, read 165,344 times

Advertisements

How about Goose Creek? That is where my husband will be working, and since I heard that traffic is horrible in your area, would Goose Creek be a nice pretty town to live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 09:27 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,018,901 times
Absolutely. The Hanahan/Goose Creek has some very nice communities. Off the bat I'd recommend Crowfield Plantation, Liberty Hall Plantation, Tanner Plantation, and Brickhope Greens to give you a feel for the area. There's also plenty of new construction underway in the area, if that's something you're considering.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:09 AM

14 posts, read 165,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharrod View Post
He will be working at Naval Weapons Station in Charleston, I have no idea where that is, since we have never been there before. But I did take the advice from others on here, and I think that Summerville is exactly what we are looking for, and the neighborhoods are comparable to where we are living now, as far as quality and construction, but it's much cheaper in Summerville than here in Suffolk, VA for housing.

I am nervous, but a little excited too.
Thanks everyone, I am still searching for a house, so I will keep you in mind :-)
I just found out that my husband will be working in Goose Creek, is goose creek a nice area to live in? That is not in Charleston, I don't think.
Also, I found two other towns, are these nice areas? West Ashley or Johns Island? And we would prefer a brand new home, if possible. :-) Thanks

Old 08-07-2007, 08:26 PM

831 posts, read 1,582,782 times
We are moving to Goose Creek in 2 days. I have never been past Myrtle Beach. My husband was there for 1 day for a job interview and now we are all moving. His new boss said Goose Creek was a really nice area. He will be teaching at Trident College in North Charlseston, about 5 miles away from where we are moving. We did a 6 month lease on a townhouse. We did it all over the phone and by mail. I thought in 6mth we should know where we want to live and be ready to buy a home. We found our townhouse at Apartmentfinder.com. We will be about 30 minutes from the beach so we should be safe from hurricanes, but still close enough to go there often. Most town home communites in Goose Creek have a pool, gym, allow pets, your own washer/dryer, park/playground and includes you water, sewer, and trash. We will be .2 miles from my kids school. Send me an email if you want to know where we will be living. We have heard really good thing about the townhome community we will be staying at. Safe area and close to losts of shopping.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:54 AM

267 posts, read 815,087 times
Hi, Suzy,

I'm waiting (not terribly patiently, either!) to hear about a job in Charleston, and, being the Type A person I am, have done tons of research about housing costs, etc. in the area. I was also looking at Goose Creek because it seems like it's not too terribly far from downtown (where I'll HOPEFULLY be working), housing seems reasonable, and the schools seem decent. I'm not sure whether we'll rent or not, but that seems like a good possibility. How old are your kids? Where are you moving from? Are you going to be storing some of your things until you buy?

I'm also scared to death, but also extremely excited. I think I've got a pretty good shot at this job, and my husband has a phone interview scheduled for Thursday. The HR person I spoke with has assured me that he's got all my info and will be in contact with me as soon as possible about employment, but it's still a waiting game. I know lots of people are on vacation now, so that is adding to the wait. I'm the type of person that has to have a plan. Believe it or not, I've already started packing and talked to a realtor. She suggested doing some things to our house to get it ready for sale, so I'm taking care of that now and purging lots of things that we don't use and don't want to move.

Anyway, any info on Goose Creek would be great. It looks close to the city on a map, but it's also somewhat out of the hurricane area and close enough to the beaches for us. Right now we're about 350 miles, so anything closer than that is close!

Old 08-08-2007, 08:44 AM

153 posts, read 769,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharrod View Post
I just found out that my husband will be working in Goose Creek, is goose creek a nice area to live in? That is not in Charleston, I don't think.
Also, I found two other towns, are these nice areas? West Ashley or Johns Island? And we would prefer a brand new home, if possible. :-) Thanks
OK, here's something you need to know. Goose Creek is a suburb of Charleston as well as Summerville, and yes, they are separate towns. However, West Ashley (WA) and James Island (JI) are actually sections of the city of Charleston itself and are not separate towns (well, a small part of James Island is considered a town for now, but that issue is being examined in court; the rest of the island is in the city of Chas). If you're looking to actually have a Chas address, you can live in those two sections as well as Johns Island, Daniel Island, and the Cainhoy peninsula. All of those are in the city of Chas as well.

WA and JI are great areas to live in, and they both have new and old sections that you can enjoy. You can find a fairly decent house for 300K, such as in the Carolina Bay subdivision for WA. Schools are good, not as good as S'ville, but still better than ones in the north side of Chas.

Daniel Island is really nice, but very expensive. Cainhoy is the newest area being developed, and it is more affordable, but conveniences such as shopping and dining are a little drive away.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:49 AM

6 posts, read 39,674 times
Default scared to death reply - I know how you feel!

I wanted to add in my 2 cents as someone who has moved to Charleston without knowing much about it. We are from the upstate of SC and have been moving around for the last 14 years only to land here. Well- I love it. I have lived near Hampton Roads when I lived in Eliz City NC. I have lived in P'cola FL, near DC and in OH. I felt the most at home here the most quickly.

I second what a previous post said about Pine Forest and White Gables. Everyone I have known who lived in Wh Gables has loved it. There are smaller lots there, but a very close feeling community, from what I see. Pine Forest is a golf course neighborhood and has a few price ranges. But there is not a horrific association trying to push people around. The home owners keep well manicured lawns and homes b/c they want to.

Be wary of Wescott Plantation. There have been issues with homes there where home owners are accusing the builders of building poorly constructed homes. I am not saying it is true or not, as I do not live there. There are people who live there w/o complaint, as well. Just be careful if you are buying. However, that is true with any home!

Good Luck and Welcome to the Lowcountry!

Old 08-12-2007, 05:41 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,428 times
Dear Bharod,
I know how scary it can be to move, but learning more about Charleston will ease your transition. I have visited both Norfolk and Charleston, and they are similar in many ways. But Charleston has so much Southern charm, that it's a vacation destination for many people living in the South. Here is a website that will help you find out more about Charleston:
Charleston Area Convention & Visitors Bureau - Charleston, SC

Old 08-31-2007, 05:55 PM

3 posts, read 16,785 times
My husband worked at the Naval Weapons Station for 3 years while we lived on the Air Force Base. We now live in Summerville. We still drive the the Naval Weapons Station for health care--it is not a bad drive after the morning and afternoon rush hours are over. If you have children and schools are an issue for you, you have to live in Summerville. Charleston County and Berkeley county lag far behind Dorchester 2 schools--which are the best in the state. Traffic is a huge problem in the lowcountry, and if you live in Summerville and drive anywhere outside of the city limits you will have to deal with the frustration with traffic on a daily basis, and it is only going to get worse as more people move to the area. Summerville (and certain immediate areas of surrounding towns) has a lot to offer for families-- sports, festivals, the YMCA, great schools, great churches and excellent child care options (Get on a list now!). Whether you choose Goose Creek or Summerville, take time to choose a house, even if you have to rent for a while.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:45 PM

528 posts, read 1,513,991 times
Sounds like everyone is helping allay your fears! I'm so glad. Summerville is a very friendly town with lots of groups for fellowship and fun! There is a church on almost every corner in the downtown area. I'm not sure what denomination you are, but you should be able to find a good one...St. Paul's Summerville has a GREAT preschool/daycare. It is called the Children's Learning Center I believe. There website is St. Pauls Episcopal Church
Someone mentioned Pinewood...my oldest daughter went there and loved it, however the elementary public schools in Summerville are excellent. Summerville Elementary and Newington Elementary are above par and run by great administrators and teachers. (The others are as well, i just know these the best. ) Let us know if you have any specific questions we can help you with to help you with your concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area