U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 6,348 times

Advertisements

Hi! You'll fall in love with Charleston. It has been rated many times as the "friendliest city in America" and you can believe it. It's different, but the differences I have experienced in many, many visits there (my wife is from Charleston) are all good. Check out the islands and the beaches. Charleston has the greatest cultural advantages of any city in South Carolina (check out the "Spoleto Festival" online if you haven't heard about it - it's fabulous!) and there is plenty to do and so many places to explore. If I could afford a really nice home in the area, I would be moving there myself. Perhaps some day. Low crime (my wife refuses to lock the car when we're around the area), wonderful shopping downtown at "the Market", cultural diversity, and the best doctors and hospitals in SC. In my opinion, it's the place to be. You will find and fall in love with the perfect community for you, and you'll be respected and liked! Best wishes. Love them, and they'll love you back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 07:51 PM

99 posts, read 322,041 times
Traffic in Charleston is always an issue in chosing where to live. Bridges are a way of life and commuting is stressful during tourist season.
I live in Crowfield Plantation, a planned community 15 mins from the weapons station. It has a community lake, biking trails and private parks and pools. The former commander used to live next door and many of the officers chose Crowfield. The schools are right on the plantation. SAT scores are good. If you stay within Goose Creek, where the weapons station is, thats the place to go. Also the city has an outstanding Rec Center with nautilus gym, basketball, indoor running track and a climbing wall for $35 a year per person!

About 25 minutes from the weapons station is a beautiful new self contained planned community going in with a lovely new high school and eventually middle and elementary schools right in the development. It is called Cane Bay. It will have a lake, trails, parks, etc. It will also have shopping and a hospital on premises. It is a bit farther out than Crowfield, but you may prefer that. Homes start around $170. It is just under construction but many homes are ready to move in.

You should consider renting for a year if you can to see what feels right. Crowfield has several homes for rent.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:53 PM

413 posts, read 1,215,256 times
I have always wanted to live in Charleston because I love history and the architecture of the place is beautiful. I am planning on moving in a couple of years but I don't want to buy a home.

What I would love to find is an apartment in an older building. Right now I am living in a cookie cutter complex in Florida and I hate it. I want a place with some character and history. Do they have these type of apartments in Charleston?

Are there neighborhoods that are safer than others? Is so what are they? How is the job market in Charleston?

Any help will be most appreciated.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:00 PM

64 posts, read 278,405 times
According to another thread and second hand information, the builder that was experiencing problems in Wescott Plantation was Lenner where they had a design problem on one model which they offered to fix or compensate and it was not good enough for somebody and they went to the media. From everything I have read, I would not be afraid of their houses, just that model. However, there are 2 other brands on the market in the area that legitimately have a bad wrap.

Check out this link for Homeowners for Better Building and check out the featured builders. It is not a good thing to make their list. One story is about how KB built homes on a military target range that had undetonated bombs on it and claims they didn't know they were there. Hmmmm, a little girl noticed one poking through the grass but the builder didn't on the hundreds of houses they broke ground on. It is easy to see why I find KB's claim very difficult to believe.

HomeOwners for Better Building - Special Investigative News Reports

Last edited by sbohandley; 09-08-2007 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: I left out something

Old 09-08-2007, 11:46 PM

83 posts, read 387,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharrod View Post
Hello, I am a 35 yr old mom of two very young children. My husband is a Nuc and we are moving to Charleston, SC in the next few months. We have never been there before. We currently live in Hampton Roads, VA and we love it here. There is just so much to do here, and I feel safe here.
I am just wondering what to expect in SC, and should we buy a house or rent place, or go into military housing. Currently we own a house here in VA worth about $325,000 (but we have had this house for 10 years) so the payment is very low. I don't think we can afford a $300,00 house in Charleston, SC? And our daughter goes to a nice but very affordable preschool here, I wonder if there is anything similiar there. I am not working, but would be working in about 2 years when both kids are in school full-time. Any info on the area, schools, housing etc... would be great. And also fun things to do with young children.
PS- we could move to Hawaii, New York, or Groton, CT instead of Charleston, but we are leaning towards Charleston for the warm weather etc...
Thanks so much.
I'm thinking that your husband is black and you are white and that is what you're really worried about? I know Hampton Roads can be an easy place for a mixed race couple, but I can't offer wisdom on Charleston/SC at the moment.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:04 PM

99 posts, read 322,041 times
Scared to death:
Things to do with your young children in Charleston, there are:
two beachfront county parks with snackbars and restrooms one at Isle of Palms, the other Folly beach.
Wannamaker park is near the Naval weapons station and there is a great water park there.
the state aquarium is downtown.
Blackbeard's Cove funpark and Frankie's funpark with action rides, gocarts, minigolf and video games.
"Music in Motion" carnival rides, gocarts, rollerskating and a lot more.
All great birthday party places. yes, we have chuck e cheese too.
Columbia, with it's zoo, and Myrtle beach are about a 2 hour drive, a do-able day trip.
And there is always a festival in Charleston, my favorite, the Hellhole swamp festival, a traditional good time.

note to RIwrites; my son and sister in law live in downtown Charleston. if you want historic and safe, look near colonial lake or south of broad.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 6,297 times
Smile I think you'll be pleased...

Hi, there! I am a 33yo mom of 2 girls, 5 yrs and 22 mos. We have lived here in Charleston for 4 1/2 yrs. The USAF brought us here, but we would love to stay! It's gorgeous! There's a lot to do here, what with the beaches and the culture of downtown Charleston and the plantations...
For what it's worth, I would recommend buying a house as opposed to renting or military housing. I can't say much about military housing except that 90% of the people I know live off-base. Depending on the size of house you want, I don't think you would have a problem finding something you can afford. As for preschool, my oldest went to Child's Day Out (preschool) for 2 yrs at Old Fort Baptist Church. You can check them out at oldfortbaptist.org. She loved it and now my "baby" is going there. The teachers are so nurturing that I feel like I'm leaving them with family. There are several subdivisions that offer convenient access to the NWS. The ones previously mentioned are nice; there are others that are slightly off the main roads, though, that you might enjoy as much - Village Green, which is on Hwy 61 along with 3 plantations and South Pointe on Hwy 78. Both areas are considered Summerville.
I really don't think you'd be disappointed if you came here as opposed to the other locations you listed.
I hope this will help you out. You can Direct Message me if you have any specific questions.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:14 AM

2,525 posts, read 7,175,974 times
Village Green is actually in West Ashley on Old 61. It's in the Charleston City limits. Great neighborhood though, just up from Shadowmoss, Schieveling, and Mac Laura Hall.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:58 AM

24 posts, read 78,412 times
Good luck on your move to Charleston! I lived there for four years and moved away back home to DC a little over a year ago and while I don't really miss it at all, I can tell you a lot about the area. I lived in North Charleston and Goose Creek and there are some areas where you could safely live and there are some areas where you won't safely live... and there's nothing in between. Charleston is a very socioeconomically divided area, so find an affordable house in a nice subdivision and you will be fine.

However, I must tell you that the public schools in South Carolina, no matter how good they claim to be, aren't up to par to the schools in most other places of the country. If you're concerned about the education of your children, I wouldn't even consider living in Charleston or Berkeley counties. Their education systems are NOT a place that I would EVER put a child... EVER. My girlfriend taught in Charleston, Berkeley and Dorchester (II) counties and the only one that she said she would ever consider teaching in would be Dorchester because the teachers do NOT get the support and materials that they need in Charleston or Berkeley counties. The attitudes about education are markedly different there also. I'm honestly pleading you, for the sake of your children, to put them in a Dorchester II school. They may not be as good, but the policies behind them are much better and they're much more prepared as a system to educate children better.

Traffic is bad in Charleston, and 26 is a parking lot around the 526 merge in the afternoons going north towards North Charleston and Summerville. I live in the DC area now and it takes me an hour to get to Baltimore (40 miles) but it took me an hour to go 20 to 25 miles there. It's ridiculous! The difference about the two areas is that they're building alternate routes here but the progress on the roads in South Carolina (like most other things there) has come to a halt.

If you move to Summerville, the YMCA is GREAT! If you go on Main Street like you're leaving the city, make a left turn right before you cross the railroad tracks, go one block, there's a stop sign, go through that stop sign and it's immediatley on the left. I worked out there for 3 summers when I was out of school and working downtown at MUSC and I loved it there! The people are great, the staff are wonderful, it's affordable and the community spirit is inspiring. That's one of the things that I can honestly say that I miss about Charleston (that and the palmetto trees... just gorgeous!). It was always clean, the equipment is clean and newer and the childcare (from what I've heard) is fantastic!

Summerville also has a movie theater, a nice stip-mall shopping center with a Kohl's and other good stuff, and there's a Wal-Mart (which could be good or bad), plenty of car dealerships and lots of places to eat. Summerville itself is a very quaint southern town that, in my opinion, represents the better things of the South.

Sales tax is 6% at the state level, and in Dorchester county it's another 2% for a total of 8%. There is vehicle property tax, which is one of the highest in the country (or at least states with vehicle property tax), and might shock you if you have a newer vehicle. It's higher than those in Virginia. There are also no vehicle inspections, and while you may be rejoicing, there are plenty of cars on the road without hoods, bumpers, duct-taped-on mirrors and no registration plates. Just monitor your vehicle and check the brake lights and all that stuff often. The Dorchester county library is descent and the outlets in North Charleston opened up about a year ago and it's a bit cheaper to buy clothing, which is almost right at your doorstep. There is an "international" airport in North Charleston, but it can be pricey to fly in and out of because it's not a huge airport and the Charleston County Aviation Authority chose to allow American Airlines to begin service there (which tends to be expensive) instead of another carrier like JetBlue, which would shove prices down, so fares haven't decreased too much. AirTran does have connecting service to Atlanta, and they can be reasonable so if you have to fly I would recomend them. The people at United are crappy, unresponsive and irritable, as are the USAir staff. Delta's people at CHS are wacked out, and the only people that I would trust there would be AirTran.

Anyhow, I can totally understand how nervous and afraid you are about moving. Moving is always hard and moving breaks ties which you've worked so hard to build. Remember that it might take you a month, six or twelve or more to be comfortable (I NEVER was comfortable there), and that's okay. Just go and enjoy yourself and it's somewhere different that you can say you've lived. You might love it and you might not but there's no use worrying about it now. What will be will be and it's going to be a great experience for you and your family. Even though I didn't like living in Charleston, it did impact my life and I'm a better person for it. If you go with the "I'll take what I can and leave the rest" from it you will be better prepared for the move and you'll be able to adapt better. It is very different than the Norfolk area, but you're not leaving the country (although it may feel like it at first), so it's better than moving to Asia or Europe where there are LOTS of changes to be had! I wish you and your family the best of luck with your move and don't hesitate to ask anything of me!

Old 10-05-2007, 09:07 PM

272 posts, read 811,208 times
<<<One story is about how KB built homes on a military target range that had undetonated bombs on it and claims they didn't know they were there. Hmmmm, a little girl noticed one poking through the grass but the builder didn't on the hundreds of houses they broke ground on. It is easy to see why I find KB's claim very difficult to believe. >>>

There are also problems with their homes in Wescott, and they refuse to fix them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or