U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-22-2011, 03:39 PM

22 posts, read 19,327 times
Default Snee Farm

I am looking for opinions or thoughts about Snee Farm. We recently looked at a home there that needs some work, but could be a great fit for us if we spruced it up. I love the trees in the neighborhood, location, and the swim team for my kids. Is there value in a Snee Farm home? If we bought it and fixed it up would it be a good investment? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 04:18 PM

4,281 posts, read 4,710,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackandmak View Post
I am looking for opinions or thoughts about Snee Farm. We recently looked at a home there that needs some work, but could be a great fit for us if we spruced it up. I love the trees in the neighborhood, location, and the swim team for my kids. Is there value in a Snee Farm home? If we bought it and fixed it up would it be a good investment? Thanks!
Local MTP joke is the first thing that one moves into their new home at Snee Farm is a dumpster, but you have that figured out.

The Snee Farm Country Club Clubhouse itself is a bit "ratty/dated" but golf, tennis, and swim activities and the people that use them are some of the best you will ever meet. Their swim teams offer great friendship, camaraderie, and a winning record. Your nippers (kids) will love it there.

I really liked the neighborhood but I was not willing to put up with remodeling needed in the houses we looked at so we decided to buy new elsewhere in MTP but we were golf members at Snee Farm.

There were plans to redo the clubhouse, pools, and tennis courts but that got hungup in court for several years. I understand the legal issues are over (the club won) so ask about future plans.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:41 PM

645 posts, read 759,454 times
Snee Farm is a nice, older neighborhood (for Mt. Pleasant), built in the 70s. Before that, it was a plantation. Back when it opened, it was in the boonies. Now, it's in the middle of town.

The swim team is ridiculously good. They've won the City Championship in a very competitive league every year since 1989. The meets are a big deal there. Every year the results have big spreads in the newspaper, and the local TV stations heavily cover the championship meet at the Jewish Community Center in West Ashley.

It is a great location. Close to Daniel Island, the bridge (Ravenel), and Sullivan's Island/IOP.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:54 AM

532 posts, read 392,132 times
We've lived in Snee Farm since 2003, and love it here.

Yes, the homes are older, and there are very few McMansions, and yes, most of them do need some updating.

However, the property values, I've read, have dropped less in Snee Farm than they have in other places, which makes us feel our investment was a good one.

The HOA can be a little frustrating to deal with. They're very strict about enforcing the 'rules'; if you're not used to dealing with that, it can be a bit of a shock. On the other hand, the HOA, I believe, is one of the reasons Snee Farm has maintained its value over other developments in the area.

We're not golfers or swimmers, so the Country CLub has no value for us. But we do enjoy the tree lined streets, and the diversity of the neighborhood with its different architecture in the houses - not the average cookie cutter neighborhood; very individual, and refreshing to look at.

The convenience to 526, Town Center, and the hospitals is great. We're on the Whipple Road end of Snee Farm, so use Mathis Ferry almost exclusively - even though that does get backed up, it's not nearly as bad as 17 in the same stretch.

Good luck!

Old 06-23-2011, 08:34 AM

1,889 posts, read 3,197,167 times
Like the neighborhood as well. Just make sure you get a good inspector because there are lots of things that can be wrong with an older home. Good Luck I am sure your going to love it here in Mount Pleasant. By the way most of the neighborhoods have swim teams.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:52 AM

22 posts, read 19,327 times
Thanks for the info. We have decided to rent for awhile before we buy. I plan on checking out the neighborhood more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area