U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:57 AM

65 posts, read 158,232 times

Advertisements

I have been following a lot of the Mt. Pleasant vs. Summerville threads, and while many people seem to love Mt. Pleasant it just seems like the only real difference between the two cities is the proximity to the beaches. Am I correct??

From the information I have gathered through various online resrouces, it seems like both towns offer the same things: good schools, nice neighborhoods, plenty of churches, parks, community recreation centers, a short drive to shopping centers, etc. But in Summerville you get SO much more house for your money! I completely understand it's all about location location location which is why I think Mt. Pleasant get so much hype.

But what is the REAL difference between the two? What TRULY makes Mt. Pleasant stand out against Summerville? Looking for candid, honest replies please! And thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 10:27 AM

10,653 posts, read 9,034,843 times
I could give two rats about the beach. For me, it was the schools since I have a school aged daughter. Since I do not like congested areas, I will be moving to the country after she is out of school but I wouldn't live anywhere else having a school aged child. I understand that you will hear differing opinions than mine but I did base this decision on empirical evidence and researched both districts including but not limited to graduation rate, state school reports, student test scores, national awards and distinctions, and college attendance. I was willing to live in a smaller home in order for my child to attend the Mt Pleasant schools. I have not regretted my decision.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:04 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,258,882 times
This debate becomes exhausting after a while, doesn't it? To me, it's like trying to compare different flavors of ice cream. The fundamentals are the same but still the total product is widely different, and it comes down to personal preference. I don't find the cities to be similar at all, other than the fact that they are really close school wise, so I don't really see why they are constantly pitted against each other.

Personally, I don't like Summerville and I would never live there, but I tend to keep that opinion to myself. The vibe on this board feels like if you say anything negative about Summerville you are written off as a snob, while side remarks about Mount Pleasant are the accepted norm.

To go back to the original question, "Is Mount Pleasant overrated?" This is also very subjective, so you can't really expect a clear answer. The Mount Pleasant haters are going to say yes, obviously. Judging by the thread regarding regrets in choosing Mount Pleasant, the vast majority of Mount Pleasant residents will say no. Most of us will admit that the proximity to the ocean was part of our decision to move to MP, but I doubt if you'll find many who say it's the only reason.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:21 PM

7,934 posts, read 15,088,120 times
Ok, now it is time for a 'Mt Pleasant Hater' to chime in......

The major difference between MtP and Summerville is the proximity to the beach and the price you are willing to pay for that, on average, and I am sure anyone of the realtors on here can correct me if I am wrong, it will cost you $150K more for a house in MtP than you would pay for the same house in Summerville. So the question becomes are you willing to pay that much more for location?

Old 06-24-2011, 03:25 PM

3,140 posts, read 4,965,871 times
The question could be..."Is Charleston Overrated?"...then go on to say how the only real difference between Columbia & Charleston is that CHS is closer to the beach.

Really, the two towns are different...like most towns are different from one another.

Good, bad, or indifferent...they are separate entities. You have to come to your own conclusion based on your personal lifestyle.

Best of luck!

Old 06-24-2011, 04:34 PM

65 posts, read 158,232 times
I think my biggest beef with Mt. Pleasant thus far is the home prices for such small square footage. That's why I believe it's all about location. Location aside, am I comparing apples to oranges?

Old 06-24-2011, 04:51 PM

3,383 posts, read 7,125,468 times
What is the best areas to drive through to get the "feel" of whats in and around Mt. Pleasant?

Old 06-24-2011, 05:06 PM

7,934 posts, read 15,088,120 times
Coleman Blvd....

Old 06-24-2011, 05:20 PM

1,797 posts, read 3,060,683 times
Its the way that "some" of the PEOPLE act with there stuck up "Better than you" attitude that ruin MtP.

To me you will find more friendly "Southern hospitality" people in Summerville.

,,,,,,that is the honest truth!

My wife is from MtP, and my Dad lives in SV.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:21 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,258,882 times
I agree with Tom. The most vibrant part of Mount Pleasant is right around Shem Creek. If someone were looking to get a feel for Mount Pleasant I would say they really need to explore that area, but also down around and past IOP, since the town is very different from one end to the other. Of course, right now the road construction has the entire town in a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area