Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 05:59 PM

30 posts, read 60,421 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I moved here about 4 months ago, and only had a weekend to find an apartment. A friend suggested James Island, since it is very close to downtown and the beach, ect. My preference would have been to have lived downtown, but all the places I looked at were not very nice in my price range....and in rough areas. I found a nice aparment on James Island, and really like my complex, however I hate Folly road with a passion. It terrifies me. Sometimes I won't even leave my place, because of the thought of trying to even cross the road. There seems like there is all kinds of accidents daily as well..and drunk drivers. I don't even feel like I live in Charleston over here Feels like south florida in the suburbs or something...Does anyone else feel this way? Not really impressed with restaurants or bars over here either.... Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 07:42 PM

259 posts, read 553,919 times
Are you in a long term lease? If not start looking else where. If so try to find the redeeming things about the area and enjoy them...getting to know the area and keep looking for another place to rent. Are you looking for night life or are you just lonely because of the move? maybe you could just hang out down town with friend's?

When we went to Folly it reminded me of Panama City Beach back in the 70's...shows you how old I am..

Old 07-28-2011, 08:13 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
If you've been there for 4 months and do go out, your not even giving it a chance.
No matter where you live in the area you are going to have to deal with traffic No way around it.
It is all in what you choose to do with it.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:40 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
I understand your concerns....take it one step at a time. First...give yourself a little more time... Second, probably the accidents are with folks who aren't focused -- you know you can do it.....make sure you go out a bit more each and every day -- try to find the times when it isn't busy. Third....start exploring other neighbourhoods -- on James Island and on the peninsula -- look more into West Ashley area. I've met a number of younger folks who live in West Ashley because it is cost effective and yet still convenient to everything.........

Just a few suggestions....You could venture to Mount Pleasant -- but I fear the mere suggestion of it will cause some folks on this board so much anxiety they will feel the need to go on and on and on about how horrible everyone is in Mount Pleasant............we aren't -- but it makes them better to think we are :-)).

Old 07-29-2011, 07:28 AM

30 posts, read 60,421 times
Thank you all for your responses. I honestly have tried to give JI a chance. It's just not my cup of tea is all. I really think the heavy traffic has put a damper on my view about it. I do take Riverland Road quite a bit, however people drive a million miles an hour down that road as well...
I just don't get that charming, quaint feel you get when you are downtown over here. I pictured myself being able to get up and walk to a coffee shop in the morning, and walk to a restaurant to get a bite, ect..I enjoy being able to walk to shops, ect...You can't really do that over here. I guess if anything it is a good transitional place to have time to explore where I really want to live. Yes, I really do like Mount Pleasant as well as West Ashley I love the triangle area of west ashley and running the bridge in Mount Pleasant...But ideally I more of a downtown girl. Thanks everyone for your responses Have a great weekend!

Old 07-29-2011, 12:13 PM

35 posts, read 91,693 times
Sorry you feel that way, Petal. Folly Road traffic will be divided by two when mid August comes back around, and not so many people are going to the beach. Also, it might have something to do with them resurfacing all lanes of Folly Road this summer. Not sure why they decided to resurface Folly Road in the busiest month of the year? Who made that call?

Anyway, good luck...James Island is different from downtown, but it IS more affordable. Maybe you can get out of your lease early without too much pain ($)?

Old 07-29-2011, 02:47 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,761,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCiucci View Post
Sorry you feel that way, Petal. Folly Road traffic will be divided by two when mid August comes back around, and not so many people are going to the beach. Also, it might have something to do with them resurfacing all lanes of Folly Road this summer. Not sure why they decided to resurface Folly Road in the busiest month of the year? Who made that call?

Anyway, good luck...James Island is different from downtown, but it IS more affordable. Maybe you can get out of your lease early without too much pain ($)?
I was going to make the same points, Mike. After September, the Folly Rd. traffic will be cut by more than 1/2 and yes, the resurfacing of the road is causing some traffic headaches - which is short term only. Doesn't your apt. complex have any other young people to hang out with? I agree with you about the small-town feel not being there....James Island is very spread out and full of strip malls and hodge podge stores and restaurants. That took some getting used to for me, but the trade off is that you are very close to Folly Beach and downtown for fun, shopping, and dining - each only 10 minutes away. I hope you are able to find more positives eventually - 4 months really isn't time to get to know a place. It took me about 3 or 4 years to make close friends and to start thinking of this as home. Now I've been here 28 years and love it!! Just give it time.....

Old 07-29-2011, 03:29 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,940,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I understand your concerns....take it one step at a time. First...give yourself a little more time... Second, probably the accidents are with folks who aren't focused -- you know you can do it.....make sure you go out a bit more each and every day -- try to find the times when it isn't busy. Third....start exploring other neighbourhoods -- on James Island and on the peninsula -- look more into West Ashley area. I've met a number of younger folks who live in West Ashley because it is cost effective and yet still convenient to everything.........Some oldies are going there too!

Just a few suggestions....You could venture to Mount Pleasant -- but I fear the mere suggestion of it will cause some folks on this board so much anxiety they will feel the need to go on and on and on about how horrible everyone is in Mount Pleasant............we aren't -- but it makes them better to think we are :-)).
Hee hee hee

When we get there I'm going to look you up and buy you some fine cocktails,

Your choice

Old 07-29-2011, 08:55 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversides View Post
Hee hee hee

When we get there I'm going to look you up and buy you some fine cocktails,

Your choice
Sounds great to me!!!!!!

Old 07-30-2011, 12:05 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Default Hi Petal

3 mths ago I moved to JI.... and do understand what you mean. Usually I avoid going south on Folly unless heading to the beach. The JI areas are so different, one street is great, the next trashy. Nothing is consistent and it has taken some getting used to... there are a few restaurants ie Black Bean on Folly, a Thai on Folly, La Tabella (Italian) on Harborview....a bit more upscale as far as menu than others on JI.

Also I have started shopping near the Windemere area....almost to W Ashley...like at Earthfare and go to the library there as well. The library on Camp Rd appears to be in an unsavory area....

Had it been affordable, I would have loved to live downtown too, walking to the market, coffee, etc. (I always wanted to live in NYC just for a year to have that experience). But here I have, as others said, only 10 min to the great downtown and to the beach. Since I bought a home, I will adjust but you can move if you still are unhappy!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area