Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 02:55 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times

Advertisements

Yes, I know there is a forum on Myrtle Beach and environs but I'm afraid everyone there will be overly rah-rah. I'll be visiting my elderly stepmom in October and we normally take a road trip to Charleston (she's in Jax)and on to the Santee/Elloree/Lake Marion area. We've never been to Myrtle Beach , mostly because it looks so tawdry and tacky but with her limited mobility and rooms in Charleston costing 4 times those in MB I'm at least thinking about it. I suspect that people who love Charleston don't care for MB and vice versa but I would really appreciate your comments. I guess it comes down to this: Charleston is special, MB is not. Am I right? Thank you for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 03:43 PM

846 posts, read 1,796,758 times
Well, Myrtle Beach is a very fast-growing area. Most people around here just use Myrtle as a vacation area. It is about 100 miles from downtown Charleston, just less than 2 hours. It is about 120 miles from Santee, about 2:20 or so along mostly 4-lane roads, 95 to 378. It is closer to the southern beaches of the Grand Strand like Surfside and Garden City.

There are lots of signs that guide the way to the beaches, even from the Interstate.

To most around here, it is an overcrowded area. But in October, a lot of the people have left. We don't really care for Myrtle, and haven't been there in a few years, but there's been a lot more added in the past few years. There's lots of miniature golf, and golf courses. You literally can't go a mile without running into a golf course.

The nicer part of the beach is the area of North Myrtle Beach and Cherry Grove. There are lots of condominiums and chain hotels in the area, but it is nicer than Myrtle Beach. There's also resorts everywhere you look, but NMB is probably the nicest part of the Grand Strand.

The South Strand (Murrells Inlet, Garden City, Surfside, Pawleys Island) has also been revitalized in the last few years, and that is the closest part of the area to Charleston. They get Charleston radio and TV stations in addition to Myrtle Beach stations.

Myrtle Beach is still a tourist trap in October, but you won't get as much as the riff-raff that you see in the summer. They still haven't replaced the Pavillion amusement park, but they added a brand-new boardwalk last year and a 200-foot sky-wheel. It is better than it used to be.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:46 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Yes, I know there is a forum on Myrtle Beach and environs but I'm afraid everyone there will be overly rah-rah. I'll be visiting my elderly stepmom in October and we normally take a road trip to Charleston (she's in Jax)and on to the Santee/Elloree/Lake Marion area. We've never been to Myrtle Beach , mostly because it looks so tawdry and tacky but with her limited mobility and rooms in Charleston costing 4 times those in MB I'm at least thinking about it. I suspect that people who love Charleston don't care for MB and vice versa but I would really appreciate your comments. I guess it comes down to this: Charleston is special, MB is not. Am I right? Thank you for your thoughts.
they are both 'special', just in very different ways.

charleston was built in the mid 1600's, myrtle beach was built in the mid 1900's.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:56 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
Myrtle Beach is a good place to visit. If you are going in October you should have many good places to stay at reasonable prices because the tourist season is over.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:16 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
It is as you put it tawdry, but it is very much a tourist destination..

Old 08-17-2011, 05:25 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I live in Charleston and spent lots of time in Myrtle Beach. If you want gorgeous beaches and clear blue ocean water and quick easy access to nice beaches from anywhere, Myrtle Beach is your answer.

Charleston beaches pale in comparison to Myrtle Beach yet Charleston has the history and the architecture which MB lacks. Charleston beaches aren't as nice, are harder to access and the water is a cloudy olive green. You'll never see pretty clear aqua blue water in Charleston or even dark blue water except on the clearest sunniest winter morning with a clear blue sky. I think all the swamps along most of the shore and the pluff mud is the reaason for this. It isn't that the water is dirty, it is just loaded with nutrients from the organisms living in the swamps which makes it cloudy and not very pleasing to look at.

If you aren't a beach person than Charleston would probably suit you better.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:54 PM

870 posts, read 1,986,997 times
Myrtle Beach is a wonderful city to visit for a few days.

I find it to be almost too touristy and if I were looking for a decent "relaxed" place to spend a week at the beach (assuming I didn't live in Charleston already) I would look into Pawley's Island and Murrells Inlet.

They are both slightly south of Myrtle Beach but are heavily populated by retirees. Therefore, they lack the hustle and bustle of overly touristy Myrtle Beach while still allowing access to the ocean and great shopping (if that's your thing).

Also, Pawley's is famous for its hammocks.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:10 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post
... I would look into Pawley's Island and Murrells Inlet. They are both slightly south of Myrtle Beach but are heavily populated by retirees. Therefore, they lack the hustle and bustle...
LOL!! Careful, I resemble that remark!

Old 08-17-2011, 07:55 PM

370 posts, read 947,097 times
We love Myrtle Beach! As far as the clarity of the water, I disagree that MB has crystal clear blue water. You won't find that type of ocean water along the SC coast, BUT I happen to think SC beaches in general are among the best on the East Coast. I originally came from New England and the beaches there simply cannot compare. Myrtle beach is a great place for a vacation. I think you will have a great time! Lots to fun things to do!

Old 08-17-2011, 08:23 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Charleston area does have some hotels that would rival MB in price....just not downtown in the historic district...and not many beach-front hotels.

oh and I am not fond of MB just due to the crowded, touristy areas and crazy nightlife those folks seem to love but the beaches are pretty with a wide strand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area