Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 07:31 PM

899 posts, read 3,491,355 times

Advertisements

Hey, wait a minute here!
The moniker is Pokrplr right? I've heard there are plenty of professionals around the low country. Are you saying Poker is not a sport or you are out of their league?

But really, if you are looking into Cane Bay, then you must be amazed at the prices for professional sports events today.

We LOVE to go to the River Dogs, Battery & Stingray games. Good tickets are basically the same price as parking for Pro Sports up north. By the way, you are out of the stadium in 15 minutes.

The crowds are true fans that care, there's no beer throwing, there's no cursing. Heck, the security force is mostly retired people that suggest you sit down. They KNOW the rest of the stadium has their back!

True, it's not Shockey & Jeter, but it's safe, fun, cheap & oh yeah... FUN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 08:55 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,998,432 times
Ok other than Poker which I play 7 days a week 364 days a year (xmas excluded) so definitely NOT out of any of anyone's league esp here in Charleston. Vegas sure!

Yes Pro sports have gone off the charts! I can remember going to see the NYR (hockey) for $12 a seat, and a good seat at that! Now to go back home and sit with the gutter rats in the blue seats costs around $80.

I "did" attend most Stingray games back in the day when they first came to town I think back in 93? Back then the games would almost always sell out and the atmosphere was great, it was the next best thing...Now you can sit where ever you wish, some nights lucky to draw 2000 people. So thats been a huge let down!

River dogs is a fun night, but again lacking the excitement. Not to mention the bugs. And please no one mention "bugs" again after the NYY game last night!!! What a disaster...

Old 10-06-2007, 10:49 PM

899 posts, read 3,491,355 times
Honestly, I agree. The Stingrays have let me down.

I don't really understand it except for marketing?
There is a new sports bar across the street that may help.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:14 PM

468 posts, read 580,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrplr View Post
Only thing wrong with Charleston is, NO Professional sports!
That should keep down the rowdiness then

Old 10-21-2007, 07:18 AM

20 posts, read 68,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenina View Post
I just moved here from California for my Fiance's School and I hate it! My career in corporate health and fitness doesn't exist here and i have been looking for a job with decent pay to be able to cover our bills and nothing is available. To top it off, the city stinks, traffic sucks and we just had our bike stolen off of our front porch. What is wrong with this place?!!! Crime goes unnoticed, the majority of people don't care about the environment, you can still smoke and endanger others health indoors, and people leave their trash everywhere. Can someone help me to figure out this place? I've never lived anywhere like this, where it seems like people just don't care about anything but drinking, smoking, and themselves!!!!!

Wow. I don't know where you live, but I haven't seen that part of Charleston yet.

As for your sweeping generalization of Low Country values, yes: we may enjoy our cocktails, we may eat food that has fat in it, and we may not be pumped up on caffeine, starvation and excessive exercising to the point of obsession. As for the smoking, I am not a fan, but I am a fan of civil liberties. If a place is smoky, I get up and leave. No one is forcing me to breathe second-hand smoke. I have free will. Great thing about this country.

Kudos on your career, but coming here that attitude and cramming your lifestyle down the throats of a people who have spent the last 300+ years establishing this culture isn't gonna get you very far. Maybe taking a different approach from insulting the locals would behoove you.

Perhaps you would be happier back in LaLaLand. Just a suggestion. We like it just fine here.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:01 PM
ARJ

16 posts, read 58,885 times
She was just venting some frustration and posted about it later in the thread. I understand her point of view as I am pursuing other locales to move within & I have to realize the pro's and cons of the change. Then there are the changes that we didn't expect that throw us a curve in which we have to adjust to no matter how great a city may be & from her second post it sounds as though she was doing just that.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:50 PM

36 posts, read 203,923 times
Default I Just moved to Charleston from Los Angeles... 09/12/07

Well, I just transplanted myself from Los Angeles, quit a great job in television, sold a historical home and decided to move to Charleston, and I'm feeling a little bit of your pain. Most people are genuine and friendly (much more than Los Angeles), but the smoking HAS GOT TO GO, I agree.

Things I'm missing, a few more Whole Foods (only one in Mt. Pleasant), but thank goodness there is one (a store in North Charleston would be nice). I crave, Trader Joe's, in fact I write them once a week begging them to consider us. They don't have any stores that carry Chanel nail polish, and I'm aware that's a completely vain statement. A Sephora or Anthropologie would be stellar, but the shops on King Street suffice.

Things I don't miss! TRAFFIC TRAFFIC TRAFFIC and in your face celebrity overload, fake plastic people who shake your hand while staring over your shoulder...

I think it's going to take some time, but I'm sure we'll both learn to love Charleston. I want to LOVE Charleston. I will love Charleston. Just repeat that mantra, stay open-minded (that's how us Cali peeps are supposed to roll remember). Oh, and check out the Park Circle area of N. Charlie, a modern movement is in the works (however missing my Modern Case study homes).

As for the jobs, I've heard it's difficult. I just switched careers, jumped into Real Estate. Just got licensed in fact. Finding it hard to meet people though, so to anyone reading this, I'm 37, single, and we transplants would love to be invited out and to make friends...

Last edited by Marka; 10-24-2007 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: at OP's request

Old 10-24-2007, 07:00 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
You are right. Charleston does need another Whole Foods. I don't know why they don't put one downtown. Then if you lived downtown, you'd never need to leave (except to go to the beach).

Old 10-24-2007, 07:22 AM

36 posts, read 203,923 times
Default About Whole Foods

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
You are right. Charleston does need another Whole Foods. I don't know why they don't put one downtown. Then if you lived downtown, you'd never need to leave (except to go to the beach).
Hi Emily... Just heard through a grape vine that Whole Foods might be putting one in the Park Circle area. Cross Fingers...

Agree, if there was a downtown location, nobody would leave the Peninsula. They've got 24hr Harris Teeter, so they aren't as desperate, hahaha...

BTW, I do love Charleston regardless... Having moved here, I sleep better at night, people say hello, and the weather is terrific!

cheers, melinda

Old 10-24-2007, 08:05 PM

81 posts, read 327,214 times
I can relate to your feeling of having a hard time adjusting. Give it time and enjoy all that it has to offer there is so much to see and do out there. I am also from Cali and lived in Charleston North Charleston which is horrible for traffic and the smoking in restaurants is sucks too all that for two smokers in the whole restaurant go figure! Anyway after we left Charleston I was very sad, we are in Austin and are moving back to South Carolina Upstate. I think you need to give it time and do all you can to enjoy the great outdoor activities there. There are health and wellness conscious people, groups it is growing and environment groups as well. The area does have it's bad things like crime and traffic, try to move when you can and look up a former thread under Charleston for apartments I had seen one a few months back that gave some good areas to live in, it will help alot to live in a better situation. Give it time to get the California way of rushing and hurrying way of life out of your system and enjoy what the area has to offer rich history and flavor and culture that Cali could never come close to, your in an area where so much History has taken place. Good Luck and get out and explore the area and the state, when you can go up to Greenville for the weekend it is beautiful up there and a great place to enjoy and walk around. You will adjust eventually just give it the chance and get out and EXPLORE there is so much around!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area