U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 05:03 PM

548 posts, read 1,247,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melindaw View Post

Things I'm missing, a few more Whole Foods (only one in Mt. Pleasant), but thank goodness there is one (a store in North Charleston would be nice). I crave, Trader Joe's, in fact I write them once a week begging them to consider us. They don't have any stores that carry Chanel nail polish, and I'm aware that's a completely vain statement. A Sephora or Anthropologie would be stellar, but the shops on King Street suffice.

There is an Earth Fare (similar to Whole Foods) on Folly Road (heading out towards James Island about 2 or 3 blocks after turning off of 17).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 07:25 PM

81 posts, read 224,674 times
Smoke-free List of Places to eat in the area just scroll down in the link and look for the area you live in.
SCDHEC: Tobacco Prevention Control: Smoke Free Dining

Old 10-29-2007, 07:44 PM

36 posts, read 148,566 times
Thumbs up Perkins?

never heard of them, but I know where that road is, and dad is coming this weekend (we've been putting down wood floors) so will take him there and report back next Monday...

Old 11-20-2007, 05:46 PM

3 posts, read 7,911 times
Default Charleston SUCKS

I just moved here and can't stand it. It stinks from that big refinery off rte 526, (as if nobody smells that stench, cmon!), WTF. It's almost as bad as the rampant smoking.

The job market sucks. I've been offered contractor positions here for almost 1/2 the $$$ I would expect from this industry. And My former home isn't a huge city/industrial center.

Property, vehicles and FURNITURE (yes, furniture) is expensive, over-priced and over-taxed. I still can't believe the costs versus the median income.

The worse part?

It's almost impossible to see or play in a clean strip of ocean unless you lie to a security guard to get on one of the private islands. That's right, the frigging coastline is virtually off limits to the ordinary folks. You have to drive WAY out the way from Charleston.

The good?

People are the absolute nicest i've ever met....anywhere. Unless you work for someone. Business: owners, managers and employees drank the Koolaid on how to be a tyrant backstabber.

I will be leaving instead of bitching. And I won't let the door hit me, TY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenina View Post
I just moved here from California for my Fiance's School and I hate it! My career in corporate health and fitness doesn't exist here and i have been looking for a job with decent pay to be able to cover our bills and nothing is available. To top it off, the city stinks, traffic sucks and we just had our bike stolen off of our front porch. What is wrong with this place?!!! Crime goes unnoticed, the majority of people don't care about the environment, you can still smoke and endanger others health indoors, and people leave their trash everywhere. Can someone help me to figure out this place? I've never lived anywhere like this, where it seems like people just don't care about anything but drinking, smoking, and themselves!!!!!

Old 11-20-2007, 10:26 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,712,086 times
311transitor311: People's perceptions of a place depends on where they work, where they live, the first few people they meet, and their attitude towards others. I moved here 24 years ago, and immediately made friends within the neighborhood I moved into, at work (I am a teacher), at church, and with parents of my son's friends, so I started off with a great first impression and quickly became very involved in the community. I think it also helped that I already had some family here, and I consider myself lucky that I felt (and still feel) a "fit" in Charleston and now call it "home".
It is unfortunate that you started off on the wrong foot and I don't blame you for moving elsewhere. Good luck with your move and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:55 PM

267 posts, read 520,082 times
Wow, 311transitor311, you sound kinda angry. I was at the beach a couple weeks ago (IOP) and found it cleaner than anything I've been to. Have you been to the Jersey shore? And if you haven't lived in Pittsburgh, then you have no idea what being over taxed really means.

Sorry you're so unhappy. I, for one, can't wait to leave this place I'm in now and head on down to Charleston.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:31 PM

14 posts, read 38,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordzgirl View Post
Wow, 311transitor311, you sound kinda angry. I was at the beach a couple weeks ago (IOP) and found it cleaner than anything I've been to. Have you been to the Jersey shore? And if you haven't lived in Pittsburgh, then you have no idea what being over taxed really means.

Sorry you're so unhappy. I, for one, can't wait to leave this place I'm in now and head on down to Charleston.
Hey, no need to hate on Jersey...

My wife and I are coming down there in March to check out the area. She used to live in Greenville, and really wants to move back there, but I want to be closer to the ocean. So we are making the stops in the Greenville, Columbia and Charleston areas to see how things are. I'm from Jersey originally, and we now live in PA. I don't like it here all that much, and wanted to move back to Jersey, but she asked me to take the trip and see how I like it there. I know a weeks vacation can't give me the "real feel", but it can't hurt...

Old 11-23-2007, 08:25 AM

267 posts, read 520,082 times
I'm not hating on Jersey. We go there a lot since it's the closest beach to Pittsburgh. I LOVE the shore, but I'm just saying that last summer we spent a week there and had to clean up millions of cigarette butts from our little square of sand before I'd let the kids play there. You won't believe how pristine the beaches around Charleston are. It was in the 60s when we were there. The crowds were gone, but it was still beautiful and just so clean and really nice.
Columbia is beautiful and, from what I hear, so is Greenville. I think you'll really like it, especially this time of year. I woke up this morning to a couple inches of snow on the ground. Gotta say, I certainly won't miss the snow/cold, at least for a few years.

Good luck!

Old 11-23-2007, 08:41 AM

14 posts, read 38,676 times
Thanks. We have friends who moved to Summerville, and my parents are considering moving there eventually. I'm going to do some research before we head out regarding taxes and to see what kind of house we can get for our money in each area. I do have to say, I was over in the Greenville forum and there is a thread with pictures of the downtown, and it looks amazing. My wife says that Charleston is even more so. I actually can't wait to get down there and check it out.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:49 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,844,776 times
I'm positive Joe's posted some pictures of downtown Charleston, Summerville, IOP and Mt. Pleasant in this forum to look through. If not, I'm sure we could wrangle up quite a few for you. Many parts of the lowcountry are some of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. You're going to be impressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area