Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 03:02 PM

11 posts, read 24,399 times

Advertisements

We are about to move from James island to Mt. Pleasant and when calling to set the cancellation for my Att DSL, the representative asked me if I would consider U-Verse. My original plan was to switch back to Comcast internet because since switching from Comcast to Att DSL, we have had terrible internet service. The DSL always cuts in and out, and we can currently only get about 5mbps. When we had Comcast, it was noticeably faster and I don't remember any outages, etc.

Does anyone here have U-Verse and if so, can you compare to Comcast internet (internet only, no tv or phone). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 03:04 PM

33 posts, read 110,634 times
We tried to get U-verse when we moved here and it's not in our area of Dunes West yet. We have comcast internet and have zero problems so far.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:00 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,430,609 times
Comcast here also. No internet issues just cable issues but nothing resetting the box usually doesn't fix.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:49 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,182,083 times
We have u-verse and have for the last 2.5 months. In the beginning it seemed like there were continuous problems but that has worked itself out. I've never used Comcast so I can't compare.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:15 PM

259 posts, read 554,143 times
We've had comcast since we moved here (had it b4 in different state,no issues)...Since we have had it here we have delays with internet and cable. We have had every known tech to man kind out to our home: rewired everything and changed boxes out, even had the wiring changed up the street,with no results. About every 10-15 minutes the audio drops and/or the picture freezes. getting on to the internet has been a challenge as well....delay after delay...After more than 2 months we are still waiting for the engineering unit to contact us...multiple calls per week with no results...

Old 09-06-2011, 07:46 PM

870 posts, read 1,987,543 times
I have Comcast. I have had one recurring problem with on demand programming and had multiple boxes and everything. Finally a tech told me that the wiring in my attic was the problem and that Comcast would be happy to run new (RG-6) cable for $90 and a 2 hour minimum...

I took his advice (sort of). I did some computer work for my neighbor for free so he'd owe me one and we ran the cable ourselves one morning (I run cable for work sometimes so I have a spool of RG-6 in my spare room). As luck would have it, the drop/bury guy showed up at my other neighbors house as we were finishing up so I got him to put ends on the cable for me.

Turns out the tech was right. I haven't had any problems since replacing the cable.

My favorite thing about Comcast is that you can call them and tell them you're thinking of taking your business elsewhere and they will give you free stuff and or reduce your bill. Currently I have the HD triple play, HD-DVR and HBO for $115/month.

Never had U-Verse but I have to deal with AT&T at work a lot and, so far, I've been unimpressed.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:37 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,182,083 times
Along with our u-verse we also have wireless internet (provided by ATT). I should have mentioned that when I originally responded. No problems at all with our internet connection. When we first got it 2.5 months ago, we had a day that we were unable to get the cable service to work....I think a storm was to blame. My only complaint was on the day that we had problems, when I called to report it, I was unable to talk to a real person. It was ALL automated, even the problem solving tips....I found this very frustrating. It also may be standard practice now. We've been happy with our ATT home services so far.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:37 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,998,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post
My favorite thing about Comcast is that you can call them and tell them you're thinking of taking your business elsewhere and they will give you free stuff and or reduce your bill. Currently I have the HD triple play, HD-DVR and HBO for $115/month.
LOL, we do the same with DirecTV. Even though I would never switch, NFL Ticket and all the Sports packages are the reason

Old 09-08-2011, 11:34 AM

160 posts, read 311,596 times
We had UVERSE tv and internet back in Columbia and had no real problems with it. We always had great TV and internet service. Their wifi/cable box (It is one unit) worked better in my huge, old house than anything else I have ever used.
The idiots for the city cut all the cables (including TWC and a few others too) by accident one day. I called and there were 2 uverse vans in my neighborhood within an hour letting me know what was going on and how long it would be until it was fixed.
The only hassle was learning the hard way that uverse is almost a separate company from AT&T. You have to specify Uverse billing not just AT&T or any other dept. I just made a list of all of the direct numbers and had no more issues.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:32 AM

11 posts, read 24,399 times
Thanks everyone. We decided to go with Comcast for Internet and kept the Directv for TV. I have to say, the Comcast internet is much faster than the AT&T DSL we had. The DSL's top speed was 6mbps, the Comcast is averaging around 20mbps. I couldn't ask for more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area