U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 10:39 PM

1,924 posts, read 3,018,737 times

Advertisements

I went on vacation to Myrtle Beach last September and loved the warm ocean water. I did not want to leave. After having snowstorm after snowstorm in the northeast, I decided to look for a job in SC. I was looking in Myrtle Beach and Charleston. It only took about a month after seriously looking to line up 2 interviews. I came down, interviewed, and had a job offer the following week. 3 weeks later I made the drive here. When I left my house in MA back in March, the snow on the side of my garage was over my head.

Another reason I wanted to move to this area is because the people were really nice when we were on vacation. I know they are supposed to be in the hospitality industry, but it was everyone I met. The people in the north are rude and obnoxious (I can say that because I lived there my whole life ). The people here have been nothing but kind. My job is ore involved here, but a heck of a lot less stressful. I love it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 08:13 AM

1,094 posts, read 1,794,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
I went on vacation to Myrtle Beach last September and loved the warm ocean water. I did not want to leave. After having snowstorm after snowstorm in the northeast, I decided to look for a job in SC. I was looking in Myrtle Beach and Charleston. It only took about a month after seriously looking to line up 2 interviews. I came down, interviewed, and had a job offer the following week. 3 weeks later I made the drive here. When I left my house in MA back in March, the snow on the side of my garage was over my head.

Another reason I wanted to move to this area is because the people were really nice when we were on vacation. I know they are supposed to be in the hospitality industry, but it was everyone I met. The people in the north are rude and obnoxious (I can say that because I lived there my whole life ). The people here have been nothing but kind. My job is ore involved here, but a heck of a lot less stressful. I love it here.
I'm from New England, as well. My parents even notice when they come down to visit how nice people in the service industry are. Even going through the drive-thru is a different. In N.E. the service person tends to focus on the job that needs to get done and getting it done fast. Around here the focus tends to be on the interaction with the customer. It might make for slower service, in some cases, but it surely is much more pleasant.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:55 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,259,692 times
We moved here on a job transfer for my husband. We had recently had the "where would you live if you won a million dollars" conversation, and our answer was Isle of Palms. When the position came available the choice was easy for us. We're still a few miles from our million dollar destination, but we're getting there.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:12 PM

160 posts, read 262,627 times
Fiance got a job at Boeing after 20 years of killing himself building/renovating houses all over the country. No job is perfect but building an airplane in a 72 degree plant beats putting on a new roof in Columbia, SC with 100% humidity and 107 degree heat any day.
Love living in Summerville. Close to the beach whenever we want to go but, away from most of the traffic/tourists/highway construction headaches.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:16 PM

743 posts, read 1,692,410 times
You hit one of them right on the nose.... the customer service interaction here, you are right. I find so often when I am out buying something... besides the questions, the sale itself, we have a conversation about each other or the area or something, From DMV, hardware store, locksmith, FedEx etc. Refreshing, quite nice and not found in NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbburke View Post
In N.E. the service person tends to focus on the job that needs to get done and getting it done fast. Around here the focus tends to be on the interaction with the customer. It might make for slower service, in some cases, but it surely is much more pleasant.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:38 PM

313 posts, read 620,885 times
I-26.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:45 AM

32 posts, read 50,854 times
Boeing. Husband came down for a DTA from the Puget sound, came home and said "We have to live in SC." So we both transferred within the company to jobs in SC, hitched up the horse trailers and drove 7 days cross country with 4 horses, 3 cats, 2 dogs, a turtle, a guinea pig, and 1 moody 12 yr old. It was the best decision we've ever made. From the weather to the people, I love it here....

Old 09-09-2011, 04:10 PM

177 posts, read 409,315 times
Uncle Sam's Yacht Club brought me here back in 1988, got out and stayed to build subs at General Dynamics. Have stayed here ever since, wife's family in Virginia and Pennsylvania, my family in Texas, so we don't have arguments with being in either of those places...works for us.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:36 PM

506 posts, read 854,025 times
We fell in love with the area when we started vacationing here a few years back. I retired last year and we both decided we didn't want to put up with any more Northeast winters. We were both born, raised and lived in Upstate NY for our whole life and wanted to have something besides NY at the end of our address and SC seemed to fit well. So far, so good. We have some family still back in the Northeast but also have some in TX. The in-laws were also sick of the Northeast winters so they came down here too.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:05 PM

244 posts, read 445,179 times
Husband and I both grew up in Rhode Island. We always hated the winters and most of our vacations were in the winter to warmer places. Also didn't care for the northeast rat race, and the depressed attitude of many of the people (high taxes, and high cost of living can do that!) so we bought land on the west coast of Florida and longed for day that we could settle there.

For years we raced down I95 between southern new england and Florida, sometimes stopping in Carolina Beach, near Wilmington, NC to visit family on the way. We'd zip right on past the exit for I26 and Charleston.

Then in 1985 my son, a Marine, got stationed at the Weapons Station in Goose Creek. We came down for a visit.
From the minute my feet hit the ground here, it just 'felt' right...hard to explain, I never had felt that way about other places that we had visited before. For the next few years we made many, many trips down and during every season...yeah even during the middle of summer.

We loved the people, charm, politeness, friendly exchanges between total strangers. No, it's not Utopia, everything isn't perfect...but pretty darn close.

We've been here 22 years and never regretted it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area