Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 10:04 PM

13 posts, read 51,170 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, this is my first time posting though I have been reading this board for a few months now. So interesting and informative! My husband and I are considering moving to Mt. Pleasant from CT next summer. We have two daughters, a 6 year old in 1st grade and a 4 year old in her last year of nursery school. I turned 40 this year, my husband 45. We are considered average aged parents for this area (I might even be considred on the "young" side) and I am nervous that parents might be much younger than us in Mt. Pleasant. Will we feel out of place? Any input you could give me would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 06:40 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,416,825 times
I guess I am an older Mom. I am 43 and have children 3.5.14 and 19. There are many older Mom's like me so you will fit in fine here.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:28 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,875,977 times
I think that it is nationwide -- parents come in all ages now. You'll be fine.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:35 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,986,045 times
We dont live in MTP, but, in our community, the wife and I are both 42. We have tons of friends that we've met in our neighborhood that range from 24-59. We all hang out almost every night together and get along WONDERFUL... Love diversity

Old 09-14-2011, 06:08 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,633,709 times
Personally I have observed many awesome Cougar, MILF's in Mount Pleasant...LOL

Old 09-14-2011, 06:27 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,282,680 times
accufitgolf: what's the opposite of rating you positively? Can one "unrep" you on this forum? LOL!

Old 09-14-2011, 08:25 PM

Thanks for all the "serious" replies! Though the last two were pretty amusing . . . Thanks everyone!

Old 09-18-2011, 01:05 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,889,244 times
my wife and i are in our mid to late 40s with a 3 year old, we adopted from China. I am from Mt Pleasant but we havent lived there together and thought about moving there ourselves. I have 100s years of generational ties there, ie family so not necessarily wouldnt have people for support but my wife, a NY yankee has the same thoughts as you CTMOM. she worries about being able to make friends with older moms and not just transplants, but with locals. I told her it would be alright, but she fears there are so many young families and they tend to socialize with each other.

we are temporarily in Oregon for this year, very very isolating for our age with a child-portland isnt very child friendly, so we are still considering home(mt Pleasant), Nashville, Ithaca NY, Colorado Springs CO and Plano Texas.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:02 AM

119 posts, read 300,503 times
I live in MtP, and I have a daughter in preschool, and am your age. I'm originally from NY where, like you in CT, would more likely be considered a young Mom. I will tell you that while here it is more the norm is to marry and start a family younger, there is quite a sizable contingent of "older" moms. I'd say that most of the other mom's of the kids in my daughter's class are around my age, but that also may be particular to the preschool that she's at, or just particular to the demographic of someone who has their kid in preschool- (ie less likely to be SAHM, more likely to have a career.) That being said, I've also had the experience of some people being quite surprised by how young my daughter is (in other words the "wow, you started late" look) but is hasn't stopped us from becoming friends.

All-in-all this is a very family oriented area (one of the major reasons we chose to move here) and remember a mom is a mom and we're all dealing with the same day to day struggle of balancing family, career, home and (non existent) time for ourselves, regardless of any age difference.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:30 PM

Thanks for your input carolinajack and NP2B! You are right, age doesn't matter in terms of friendship (my local friends are mid 30's - late 40's), but around here it seems that most women went to graduate school/had a career/etc before starting their family and I think that is what draws us together (as well as our kids of course!). I am from Tucson AZ originally and would be considered an old mom there (according to my SIL who is 32 and just starting to think about having kids) but since I have lived in CT for the past 13 years, I have grown used to the way it is here in what is essentially a suburb of NY. One poster said being an older parent is a nationwide phenomena which makes me feel better. I am not working now but plan to start again part time once my youngest starts K in a year. Do a lot of moms work in MTP? I am nervous about being able to break into local social circles when I won't have a lot of free time - I just want to make sure I won't be perceived as "different".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area